Bottle Rocket

Started by Spike, May 09, 2003, 02:02:32 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2007/09/27/bottle-rocket-to-get-the-criterion-dvd-treatment-at-last/
have gotted

R.I.P. English
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Heinsbergen on September 28, 2007, 06:37:37 PM
pray for the original short in acceptable quality.

if Criterion leaves this out they deserve to have a heart attack and get stuck in an elevator.

i hope there's more to that very brief scene where Caan is playing the piano - right before the final heist. i'm sure they'll also have the footage to explain the police lights at Bob's house.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Redlum

Quote from: bigideas on September 28, 2007, 10:22:29 PM
i'm sure they'll also have the footage to explain the police lights at Bob's house.

"wait a minute. you're growing a whole marijuana crop in your back yard?"
I believe there's a scene for this in the script.

Anyway, I cant wait for this. Most important to me is to get "the team" together for a commentary track or two.

...on a side note: the final, slow-mo shot in Bottle Rocket - the best of Wes's four films?
It's so heart-breaking that I find it really jarring when the chirpy credit theme fires up suddenly.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Redlum on September 29, 2007, 11:20:13 AM...on a side note: the final, slow-mo shot in Bottle Rocket - the best of Wes's four films?
It's so heart-breaking that I find it really jarring when the chirpy credit theme fires up suddenly.

Mine is Tenenbaums. To me, it's the most meaningful, but come to think of it, all those final shots are really something, and mean a lot to the movies themselves...
Si

modage

Quote from: Heinsbergen on September 28, 2007, 06:37:37 PM
pray for the original short in acceptable quality.

Question: I heard that BOTTLE ROCKET was coming out as a Criterion DVD.

Wes Anderson: That's right. We just have to do a lot of work to prepare it, but that's in the works. I was supposed to do a bunch of stuff already that I didn't do yet, so I'm going to get on it though. But some of the stuff is at my mother's house in Texas, so I have to go to Texas and dig through all my boxes, because there's materials for the movies that I haven't looked at in a long, long time. And we want to try and include everything that might be good.

[Just before the Q&A, Wes and I talked in more detail about his plans for this release, which included a great deal of deleted scenes, some of which he way try to incorporate into the film, with the rest being standard deleted scenes extras. Of course the original BOTTLE ROCKET short would be on the set, but Wes added that he's also got outtakes from that as well that he wants to find.]

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34486
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

idk

I just wanted to make sure what the last shot in the movie is cause i downloaded it and it ended kind of abruptly....obvious spoils--->is it of digum walking in line with the other inmates back into the penitentiary and he looks back and waves and then it fades to black(all in slow mo)....it seems like it is but i just wanted to be sure

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: idk on November 19, 2007, 08:09:58 PM
I just wanted to make sure what the last shot in the movie is cause i downloaded it and it ended kind of abruptly....obvious spoils--->is it of digum walking in line with the other inmates back into the penitentiary and he looks back and waves and then it fades to black(all in slow mo)....it seems like it is but i just wanted to be sure

Buy it on Criterion when it comes out. Or better yet, buy the bare bones DVD now and re-buy it once more on Criterion.
Then you'll know for sure.

martinthewarrior

Criterion info...

SYNOPSIS

Wes Anderson first illustrated his lovingly detailed, slightly surreal cinematic vision in this witty and warm portrait of three young middle-class misfits. Fresh out of a mental hospital, gentle Anthony (Luke Wilson) finds himself once again embroiled in the machinations of his best friend, elaborate schemer Dignan (Owen Wilson). With the aid of getaway driver Bob (Robert Musgrave), they develop a needlessly complex, mildly successful plan to rob a small bookstore—then go "on the lam." Also featuring Lumi Cavazos as Inez, the South American housekeeper Anthony falls in love with, and James Caan as local thief extraordinaire Mr. Henry, Bottle Rocket is a charming, hilarious, affectionate look at the folly of dreamers. Shot against radiant southwestern backdrops, it's the film that put Anderson and the Wilson brothers on the map.

SPECIAL FEATURES

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED DOUBLE-DISC SET SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman
- Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
- Commentary by director/co-writer Anderson and co-writer/actor Owen Wilson
- The Making of �Bottle Rocket�: an original documentary by filmmaker Barry Braverman featuring Anderson, James L. Brooks, James Caan, Temple Nash Jr., Kumar Pallana, Polly Platt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Robert Musgrave, Richard Sakai, David and Sandy Wasco, Andrew and Luke and Owen Wilson, and Robert Yeoman
- The original thirteen-minute black-and-white Bottle Rocket short film from 1992
- Eleven deleted scenes
- Anamorphic screen test, storyboards, location photos, and behind-the-scenes photographs by Laura Wilson
- Murita Cycles, a 1978 short film by Braverman
- The Shafrazi Lectures, no. 1: Bottle Rocket
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by executive producer James L. Brooks, an appreciation by Martin Scorsese
- Original artwork by Ian Dingman

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: modage on December 04, 2008, 11:49:45 AM
http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/wes_anderson_0

Very interesting. I don't always like his interviews, but this one was pretty good to read. And for some reason, it's very nice to imagine him and Baumbach being friends with Tarantino and PTA and just hanging out.
Si

tpfkabi

How pleased is everyone with the Criterion release?

Redlum

Quote from: bigideas on December 08, 2008, 11:00:31 PM
How pleased is everyone with the Criterion release?
Very! Certainly the blu-ray is the most filmic presentation of any film I have seen on the format. The documentary was surprisingly insightful - more so than the commentary which I feel would have benefited from Wes and Owen being in the room together or doing them completely seperately (which I think was how the Rushmore one was done).

Still my favourite Wes Anderson film. And still one of my favourite films full-stop.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

tpfkabi

I think I was a little disappointed, but when I thought about it, I think this is the first film that I'd seen a lot before buying a Criterion release.

Usually the Criterion experience is buying a film I'm not too familiar with.

That being said, I am definitely glad they released it and it's nice to have the short and deleted scenes.

That short about the bicycle man was actually very interesting to me - and cool that he took his font/title from it.

picolas

i just got mine today. going through the supplements and i have to say the shafrazi lectures guy is a twat. one of the least insightful interviews ever. he just keeps saying exactly what's happening on screen like we don't understand. the most obvious details possible. criterion! you know better.. the only other thing i've watched is the anamorphic test which was kinda coo and shockingly well-restored. the packaging is a work of art. easily the best blu-ray packaging ever cause they discarded the blue plastic/"blu-ray!" at the top. and the insert is lovely.

last days of gerry the elephant

Murita Cycles is the bomb. I loved that documentary.