The greatest ending ever?

Started by Robyn, May 15, 2012, 01:06:27 PM

polkablues

Quote from: Alexandro on May 15, 2012, 10:18:48 PM
Probably my all time favorite ending for any movie is 8 1/2.

THIS.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

Pubrick

Grave of the fireflies

Fave von trier ending - breaking the waves
Fave woodsy Allen ending -  Manhattan   (it's like magnolia + pdl)
Fave Scorsese ending - age of innocence

Roy Andersson does incredible endings.

under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Pubrick on May 16, 2012, 04:26:44 AM
Fave von trier ending - breaking the waves

This one wins for me.

modage

FilmCrit Hulk has a good article on this called The Ending Is The Conceit mostly about (the totally underrated) "Super" but also discussing "transformative endings," a PTA specialty.

FOR REFERENCE, THE LIST OF OTHER MOVIES THAT INCLUDE THESE SORTS OF TRANSFORMATIVE ENDINGS INCLUDE THE ALTERCATION WITH KAY/CLOSING DOOR OF THE GODFATHER, THE ZIPPING OF THE BAG IN ALL THAT JAZZ, THE "HAIL SATAN!" OF ROSEMARY'S BABY, THE SEAT-BELT SIGN IN SAY ANYTHING, THE WALK ACROSS THE POND IN BEING THERE, THE LAST FEW MINUTES OF FIGHT CLUB ("YOU'VE MET ME AT A VERY STRANGE TIME IN MY LIFE"), AND THE ENTIRETY OF PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON'S WORK (THINK ABOUT IT: HIDING THE BLOOD ON THE CUFF, "YOU'RE A STAR," THE HINT OF A SMILE, A HUG FROM BEHIND, AND LASTLY, "I'M FINISHED." PTA IS THE MASTER OF THE SMALL GESTURE).

http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/tag/the-ending-is-the-conceit/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

I like movies that seem to have resolved itself but then come at you with a surprise. obviously 6th sense is the clearest to mind, but I like the ones that are more emotional - like Eat Drink Man Woman, Raising Arizona, and In America.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

72teeth

and How to Get Ahead in Advertising!
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

Wet Hot American Summer i.e. "No, we said nine so we could be here by nine thirty."
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

pete

crimes and misdemeanors

the first time i cried at one is in dead poets society
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

all bresson
nights of cabiria
city lights
the new world, days of heaven
l'eclisse, l'avventura, blowup
stroszek