Kill Bill: Volume One On DVD April 13th

Started by modage, November 13, 2003, 10:49:06 PM

matt35mm

Hey I just watched the DVD this morning... pretty neat stuff.  I didn't look at the special features, I just watched the movie.  But uh, at least I can confirm that the transfer looks nice!

El Duderino

I got mine in the mail today. i havent watched it, but boy, oh boy, will it be good. i havent seen it since october.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

analogzombie

yeah the transfer looks pretty good, and there seems to have been some audio work done as well. certain effects i remember from the theater were either slightly altered or non-existant. And I am glad the subtitles for the characters run along the bottom of the screen instead of into the picture.

I read that Tarantino is going to splice the films together for a theatrical, as well as dvd, release. He is also talking about putting out 2 disc special editions for each film. And he mentioned that he'd like to put out a seperate release for a documentary. with the single disc versions that's 6 dvd releases for these 2 movies... no wonder Weinstein loves him so much, he's a whore.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: analogzombieno wonder Weinstein loves him so much, he's a whore.

And the only one I pay for thus far...
Si

Finn

Just picked up the dvd today, the case looks pretty good :wink:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ono

Don't know if anyone has said this here, but I may as well.  At Best Buy, KILL BILL IS ONLY $9.99 when you buy another Tarantino flick.  That is, it's two for $20.  I highly recommend you check this out if you want Kill Bill and are lacking in the other Tarantino flicks milieu.  This is a great deal, considering how expensive Pulp Fiction, and especially Jackie Brown, were at one time.

Of course, I already have all three, so I'll still be waiting for the super-deluxe box set or whatever.

EDIT: Clarification, Mac told me that this is just for Kill Bill + Reservoir Dogs.  Two for $20.  Pulp and Jackie are on sale for $15.99, though, so still a good deal.

cine

Quote from: QuoyleJust picked up the dvd today, the case looks pretty good :wink:
Really? What's it look like?

SHAFTR

Quote from: analogzombieAnd I am glad the subtitles for the characters run along the bottom of the screen instead of into the picture.

Does anyone know how a widescreen TV would handle this?  Will it cut out the subtitles, or add in black bars, or move the subtitles up?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Quote from: SHAFTRDoes anyone know how a widescreen TV would handle this?  Will it cut out the subtitles, or add in black bars, or move the subtitles up?

On mine, with a movie that is shot 2.35:1, there are still black bars on the top and bottom and the subtitles are in the black space (unless the transfer keeps them on-screen from the release print). When a film is shot 1.85:1 it fills the entire screen and the subtitles are superimposed over the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Kill Bill Vol. 1 Sells 2 Million Units on First Day
Source: Buena Vista Home Entertainment

On its first day of availability, Miramax Home Entertainment's Kill Bill Vol. 1 sold 2 million combined units on DVD and video in North America, it was announced today by Rick Sands, Miramax chief operating officer, and Bob Chapek, President of Buena Vista Home Entertainment. The 2 million units sold to date has Kill Bill Vol. 1 "chopping" up its competition. Kill Bill Vol. 2 opens in theaters nationwide on Friday.

Rick Sands, Miramax chief operating officer, said, "We are thrilled by the response from consumers to 'Kill Bill Vol. 1'. It is an extraordinary achievement and reaffirms that Quentin's films are true movie events. The strong sales confirm that the DVD is sought after not only by Quentin's loyal following, but also by a wide range of movie fans across the country."

"We couldn't be more excited about the success of 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' on DVD and video," said Bob Chapek, President of Buena Vista Home Entertainment. "Quentin Tarantino has created yet another amazing film that audiences are embracing. With these incredibly strong day one sales, consumers are signaling a strong debut for 'Kill Bill Vol. 2 in theatres this Friday."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

''Kill Bill'' braces for $100 million week. Between the first-day DVD sales of 2 million for ''Vol. 1'' and the theatrical opening of ''Vol. 2,'' Tarantino's saga is poised to earn nine figures
Source: Entertainment Weekly

Revenge is sweet -- and lucrative. Between the release of ''Kill Bill -- Vol. 1'' on DVD earlier this week and the theatrical opening of ''Vol. 2'' on Friday, Quentin Tarantino's saga of the vengeful Bride (Uma Thurman) is poised to earn $100 million this week. Variety does the math: Tuesday saw ''Vol. 1'' sell an impressive 2 million DVDs -- that's $40 million right there. The trade paper expects total first-week sales and rentals of the video to reach at least $70 million, about what ''Vol. 1'' earned in theaters. Add to that an expected $30 million opening-weekend box office from ''Vol. 2,'' and you have a nine-figure week for Buena Vista Home Entertainment and Miramax. That's almost enough to make parent company Disney forget ''The Alamo.''

(Posted:04/15/04)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: EEz28Universal Pictures Japan has just announced the region 2 release of Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol. 1. Due on April 16th, the film will arrive with an anamorphic widescreen transfer (of the uncut Japanese version), both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks, English and Japanese subtitles, a behind-the-scenes look at fight sequences and a making-of featurette on the animated sequence. Retail is 3,800 Yen. Also available on the same day is a lavish Limited Edition box set featuring the DVD, a 1/10 scale "Hattori Hanzo" sword, a Lego-style "Bride" figure from Kubrick, your very own "Okinawa" T-shirt and a 24-page color booklet. Retail for this bad boy is 7,600 Yen. Click on the thumbnail for a look at the contents.

More info:

Super R2 Kill Bill Box Set
Why don't we get sets like this?

Irritated with the black and white scene in Kill Bill? Annoyed with the lack of extras? I hope you have $180.

MovieTyme, a U.K. company with a U.S. office, has a sweet special edition box set of the Tarantino chophouse pic, which includes a booklet, blood splattered doll and a replica of the Hanzo steel used to slice and dice O-Ren and the 88s.

It'll cost you, though: $179.98, shipped from California, and it's a region two disc, so you need a multi-region player.

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=20093

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

rustinglass

I don't understand... sophie has one arm when she is pushed out of the car
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica