The Old Man And The Gun

Started by Reel, March 28, 2017, 11:54:38 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ©brad on June 10, 2018, 11:47:32 AMBut wait is no one going to talk about those whip-pans!? What kind of PTA fan site is this?

Not only whip pans, but whip pans combined with dolly-ins. And a blue suit!

jenkins

Something Spanish

jenkins

QuoteLowery and his team, especially cinematographer Joe Anderson and composer Daniel Hart, give "The Old Man & the Gun" a very period-heavy feel. It's a movie that doesn't just take place in a different era—the true story unfolds, mostly, in 1981—but feels like it was made in a different era too. The film stock, the music choices, the cinematic language—it's all very different from what we're accustomed to in 2018, enhancing the magical, timeless aspect of the entire project. It's as cheesy as it sounds but this is one of those movies for which the phrase "they don't make 'em like that any more" was invented.

this is sloppy writing but enhances a point i've made and am continuing to build. okay so he calls it "very period-heavy" then says "feels like it was made in a different era" then says "the magical, timeless aspect of the entire project."

what i'm saying is these aren't period movies that Lowery makes, but dreamscape movies. which is the conclusion this critic reaches toward the end of his paragraph. it reminds people of this/that but frankly they weren't ever quite made in this exact way, and The Lowery Touch is unique to itself, a rare bird specimen.

Sleepless

I believe they shot in the old bank across the street from my old office in Fort Worth; we're now a couple of blocks away. Also a buddy told me he's a featured extra in this. I still have yet to meet GB in person.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

I saw him at a Q & A for A Ghost Story last summer but was too shy/blown away by his movie to approach. Also sent him a gushing slightly drunken email a few years back singing (slurring) the praises of his short gem Pioneer (one of my favorites), and he responded in a very lovely and gracious fashion. Seems like a solid dude. Of course he's always loomed large round these parts. His blog "Drifting" (which sadly I don't believe exists anymore) was fundamental to my development as a person/cinephile/artist/cool-aspirer.

jenkins

for me there's been some this/that but my most significant memory comes from the last half of 2004, when i was living with my mother in a Laguna Niguel apartment, and he was in his parents' basement--it was Still that i had seen recently i believe, although i don't recall what started our messaging, my guess is that i had started it, and what i remember is we agreeing to keep following our dreams, since in that time it was, you know, we were the only ones betting on us, and i'll be gee-wizz damned if his dream didn't work out for him. that's cool.

tpfkabi

Is the theater rollout posted anywhere?
I see Sept 28th as the US release, but it doesn't look to be playing in this area.
I would think it would at least get a release akin to something like Hell or High Water, and this is PG-13, so it could appeal to more viewers. You can also add the final Redford performance and critical praise to its benefit.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jenkins

it surprised me too. it's Fox Searchlight and it's landing in LA at two Arclights, the biggest non-multiplex landings

the thing i hear is old people see movies about younger people but younger people don't see movies about older people; it's an overall less successful age category. those old people are actually a big risk. i hear Waits has a monologue.

Alethia

Quote from: jenkins on September 27, 2018, 10:01:48 PM
. i hear Waits has a monologue.

If it's anything like Will Oldham's in A Ghost Story, consider me set for life.

pete

I finally met Ghostboy he's real guys he's a real boy
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia