The Farewell

Started by jenkins, July 29, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

jenkins

thought this was dope. during transitional shots a violin plays and it's not a fussy movie so it's like. you know. hell yeah

polkablues

Been a while since a trailer has gotten me all choked up like that. I have to say I did not anticipate Awkwafina developing into a great dramatic actor back when I first saw the music video for "My Vag," but here we are.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

saw it. was never fully onboard with the Asian American agenda that prioritizes "representation" above other storytelling concerns but after watching this film I kinda get it. I've never felt more represented in my life, and it was very emotional for me. but I brought ppl who weren't Chinese American with me just in case and they were all very moved by the story as well. It's a pretty understated story that was carried by its sense of humor and its filmmaking. In the Q and A Lulu Wang talked about how everyone who read the script pitched her some big dramatic moments while she just stuck to the facts as much as she possibly could (the film was based on her This American Life story, which apparently was a very rigorous process and they had fact checkers and researchers who needed family members to sign off on every statement just like any other reporting) - but Wang in the end stuck with the facts "because people usually pitch you what they've already seen, and why would I want to make that?" Which made the film feel very well to me, and anecdotally, to everyone else I talked about the film with as well.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jenkins

Lulu Wang Talks with Ruben Östlund for the Talkhouse Podcast

it was a while ago but i don't often check that website for some reason. it's cool that Ruben backs Lulu. The Farewell is an oddly underappreciated movie from this year