Is Leo Marty's new homeboy?

Started by Sigur Rós, July 05, 2003, 12:54:29 PM

Sigur Rós

First Gangs of New York and now The Aviator. Is this just the beginning? and will, Marty's old homeboy, De Niro be jealous?  :?

Keener

I'd love to see Marty get Leo and DeNiro back together from This Boy's Life.

I like Leonardo DiCaprio. I think he's a fine actor who's been over-criticized because he was in Titanic.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Comte de Saint Germain

It looks like Marty's future has DiCaprio written all over it. Gangs of New York resulted in a bad performance but he should bode better with Aviator cause he will be forced to exude a classic charm ala Catch Me if You Can. Then there is talk of the 1960s British rock movie with him to star in and Scorsese to direct. On top of that, Scorsese is producing Burhhmann's Alexander project that has Dicaprio starring. I think marty truly respects him, but it must be nice luck considering Leo is getting some dream projects financed.

~rougerum
The garland of the trumpet was set afire, and then I saw the aperature of the dome open and a splendid arrow of fire shoot down through the tube of the trumpet and enter the lifeless body. The aperture then was closed again, and the trumpet, too, was put away.

-Johann Valentin Andreae, Die Chymische Hochzeit des Christian Rosencreutz, Strassburg, Zetzner, 1616, pp. 125-126

Keener

I thought he did goog in Gangs of New York.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Pubrick

Quote from: Cmte de Saint GermainBurhhmann's
Baz Lurhmann.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: KeenerI thought he did goog in Gangs of New York.

i thought so too. only complaint i guess i kinda agree w/ is his accent and how it fluctuates throughout the whole movie, but perhaps that is the point? cuz the 5 points at that time was really a melting pot of so many different ppl that it makes sense his irish accent would kinda disappear.

oakmanc234

I actually thought that his 'Gangs' performance was superior to his 'Catch Me' performance. Much more challenging, that's for sure. His performance in 'Gangs' was overshadowed by the amazing Day Lewis, hence why it was overlooked. He was still bloody good in it, though.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

TheVoiceOfNick

Leo is a shitty actor, and he's a dick in real life... my friends went to high school with him... I was hoping he'd fade into non-existence like the "heart throb" of the early 90's, Jonathan Brandis, did. Oh well... I can always dream.

Nick

SoNowThen

Who cares if he's a dick, he's a good actor. He kicked ass playing himself in Celebrity. If Marty ever gets around to the Mick Jagger co-written rock movie, I think Leo should slim down to a coked-out 130 lbs, and play the main character. That would be a fucking dream for me.

Guys, you gotta respect an actor who willingly steps back and lets another totally dominate (DDL). Leo is good at doing his job and not hamming around for attention, but just serving the story. At least IMO, but we all know how much I loved Gangs...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenIf Marty ever gets around to the Mick Jagger co-written rock movie, I think Leo should slim down to a coked-out 130 lbs, and play the main character. That would be a fucking dream for me.
'Cause then he might die of malnutrition?  That'd be the day~!

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThen:?
Indeed.

Seriously, though, the boy was decent.  DECENT.  In Gangs.  But it was nothing to write home about.  First movie I've seen him in.  The hoopla over Titanic was enough to make any sane person gag.  That, and his enormous ego, detract from any respect I have for him greatly.

SoNowThen

Hehe, cool.

But see him in Celebrity. Like I said, he parodies himself. It's good.

But seriously, we'd have ego trips too if we were considered young heart-throb actors who were banging Giselle Bundchene (sp?) and whatever young foxy tail we set our sites on...

finlayr

Is this it, Priest?

The Pope's new army?

A few crusty bitches and handful of rag-tags??

What a great film...
Filmmaker

modage

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickLeo is a shitty actor, and he's a dick in real life... my friends went to high school with him... I was hoping he'd fade into non-existence like the "heart throb" of the early 90's, Jonathan Brandis, did. Oh well... I can always dream.

Nick

"You're a little jealous of me.  Admit it."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.