saturday night live

Started by sphinx, March 09, 2003, 05:38:36 PM

pete

after talking to somebody about what I'd just typed, I think maybe SNL can stay on if it comes out with charming characters once again.  it seems like (but again I don't really watch the show so this might be rubbish) they don't attempt to make any of their characters lovable, like wayne and garth or cheeseburger guy or even will farrell's gene who plays the cowbell.  it's always like a straightman talking to someone absolutely loony or celebrity impressions.  now I totally understand how hard it is for "charisma" to come by, but it doesn't even seem like they're attempting.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: pete on October 23, 2006, 12:50:11 AM
I think tv comedy has to progress to stay relevant (duh) and I really think the format is not relevant anymore--we've gotten to a period where live performances aren't dangerous anymore, and 2-dimensional sets have been played out.  SNL's format wasn't timeless- it was a specific decision from a specific period, and over the decades it has been modified to get with the times, but I think at a point, the three-camera, single wall setup, will have to go.

Pete is onto something about live TV not being risky anymore but, for once, I agree with Garam.  The relevance of the live, 3-camera format is itself irrelevant.  That's like saying no one will be able to put on a good show just standing on the street corner because we have TV now.  It's not the same as sitcoms, which are doing their most interesting work in single camera formats, but even Lucky Louie proved that it's the content as opposed to the format (as I've said before, unfortunately it was the format that kept most people from appreciating the content). 

But it will always come down to one thing: if you get talented people working together under the right circumstances, you will produce something good.  I think the problem with this SNL cast is the 6 day turnaround time.  If they aired every other week and worked on a show for 2 weeks instead of just one, I'd bet you'd see the quality of the show pick up right away.  The original cast was a better team and was able to turn out some great stuff week after week but now - and Cinephile, if you're there, please correct me if I'm wrong as you're our resident expert on this - I think that since American humor has shifted in the last 30 years towards a drier, more detail-oriented place (in part influenced by Python), it might be more difficult to produce more layered stuff week after week, so they just churn out the best they can do in a short time and hope for the best. 

I always go back to the Falconer/time-travel skit in last season's finale, which is the best skit they've done since Will Ferrell and Tracy Morgan were on the show, and even better than a lot of stuff that was on when they did the show.  I don't know if Will Forte was just inspired that or if maybe he had been sitting on that skit for a while, but my guess is the latter.  As we see on Studio 60, there's a point when they panic to find something to fill the time and it's not necessarily going to be good but it will be good enough.  SNL has been giving us "good enough" for too long.  I think they might need more time to give us good. 

pete

but if you go back to what I was saying--SNL is a comedy show that very much depended on its format, and the format is different from a comedian at the street corner (and those guys are often too political to be funny, at least in my neighborhood), because you have to realize that the three-camera live sketch show format is not timeless--it feels that way because most of us grew up with it, but it's a very specific product from another time.
anyways, if you read my last post, you would've known that I kinda took that statement back.  ah none of this matters anyways, the show is going to blow now just like the new simpsons.
- Buster Keaton

JG

Does anyone have a link to the Falconer/time-travel skit?  I've never seen it and can't find it. 

pumba

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

You could tell he was SO psyched to be on the show.  Which doesn't make much sense considering that the worst of his stuff is better than the best of theirs.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Did anyone see during the end credits that Borat kissed Hugh Laurie's crotch?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Garam on October 29, 2006, 12:46:46 PM
He was probably more excited to be working with Hugh Laurie.

Quote from: othersparrow on October 29, 2006, 11:53:24 AM
Did anyone see during the end credits that Borat kissed Hugh Laurie's crotch?

I'll buy that.

MacGuffin

Fox, Bening and Timberlake to Host SNL

NBC's "Saturday Night Live" warms up December with top-tier talent from screens big and small and music superstars.

On December 2, star of the Emmy-winning hit show "Lost" Matthew Fox hosts the show with musical guest the greatest band on Earth Tenacious D (Jack Black & Kyle Gass).

In addition to his work on "Lost," (for which he won a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Ensemble) Fox is known to millions for his work on the successful drama "Party of Five." He will next star opposite Matthew McConaughey in the anticipated film We Are Marshall.

Joining Fox as musical guest is the platinum-selling duo of Jack Black and Kyle Gass Tenacious D, the self-proclaimed "Greatest Band on Earth." The comedy-folk-metal pair will perform selections from their latest album "The Pick of Destiny" which serves as the soundtrack to their recent feature film of the same name. Currently on tour, The D will play New York's legendary Madison Square Garden this week just prior to their appearance at SNL where they have rocked before both as a featured act and supporting Jack Black's hosting stints.

On December 9, it's a pair of leading ladies headlining SNL Oscar and Emmy nominee Annette Bening with musical guest Gwen Stefani.

One of the most celebrated actresses working today, Bening makes her SNL debut. She is currently earning raves for her work in Running With Scissors. She received Academy Award nominations for her work in Being Julia, American Beauty and The Grifters. She has starred in a wide variety of films from Bugsy and Love Affair opposite husband Warren Beatty to The American President, Regarding Henry, Mars Attacks, Open Range, Richard III and Valmont, to name a few. She was recently nominated for an Emmy for her work opposite Sir Ben Kingsley in the HBO film "Mrs. Harris."

Making a return appearance to SNL with Bening is Gwen Stefani. Stefani will perform from her forthcoming sophomore solo release "The Sweet Escape," the follow up to her quadruple-platinum debut "Love. Angel. Music. Baby.," which included the hits "Hollaback Girl" and "What You Waiting For?" The first single "Wind It Up" is currently rising up the charts.

Finally, on December 16, Justin Timberlake returns to SNL to once again do double duty as host and musical guest after his memorable turn in 2003 (which featured Timberlake as a singing omelet, as well as impressions of Jessica Simpson, Robin Gibb and Ashton Kutcher). Timberlake is among several prestigious artists including Paul Simon, The Rolling Stones, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Dolly Parton, Garth Brooks, Sting, Jennifer Lopez, Britney Spears, Queen Latifah, Janet Jackson and most recently Ludacris to serve as both host and musical guest.

Grammy winner Timberlake's current multi-platinum release "FutureSex/LoveSounds" debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard album charts where it continues to sit in the Top Ten. His first two singles, "SexyBack" and "My Love" have both been No. 1. Timberlake will kick off a world tour in 2007 and will be seen in the feature film Alpha Dog (from Universal) on January 12.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

forecast: bad lost parody, the graduate parody, and special n'sync surprise guests.
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 27, 2006, 02:51:28 PM
One of the most celebrated actresses working today,
if you say so..
under the paving stones.