The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

Ravi

I had a bootleg CD of the first four albums in stereo but I lost it a long time ago  :cry:

london

I was talking about bands and I mentioned John Lennon and this kid asked me who John Lennon was.  I almost fell over.  I said the Beatles?  Paul McCartney?  Assassination?  
Then I asked him if he had ever heard of Elvis.
Sacreligious.
Ten should be enough.  You think 10 should be enough?  You think we need one more?  You think we need one more.  Alright,  we'll get one more.

Pubrick

Quote from: londonThen I asked him if he had ever heard of Elvis.
that's sumthing we should all forget.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Beatles Songs Provide 'Love' for '60s Romance

The Beatles are headed to Hollywood.

Or, more precisely, Sony-based Revolution Studios is developing a film musical, "All You Need Is Love," that will feature more than a dozen cover versions of Fab Four tunes.

The project, from veteran British screenwriters Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, is a romance about a British boy and an American girl set against the backdrop of the social upheaval of the 1960s.

Although not about the Beatles, the musical will use their songs to drive the narrative, with the actors singing and dancing to the classic tunes. The filmmakers are in negotiations to secure re-recording rights for the project, set to feature 17-18 Beatles songs.

"Everyone loves the Beatles," Clement said. "No matter how old or young someone is, where they're from or what they're background is, the music is universal."

Added La Frenais: "Everyone has a memory associated with the Beatles. Whether it was your first kiss or the first time you saw that girl standing across from you at the high school dance, chances are that the DJ was playing a Beatles song."

The film's producer, Matthew Gross, noted that Clement and La Frenais knew late Beatles guitarist George Harrison and drummer Ringo Starr personally.

"We wanted to create a story that stood entirely on its own merits," Gross said. "Even without the music, their story is dramatic, moving and powerful. That being said, no matter what we wanted to convey in a scene, there was always a Beatles song available to help us push the narrative and emotional beats forward."

Clement and La Frenais, who first teamed in the '60s on such swingin' London titles as "The Jokers" and "Otley," have written dozens of movies including two films for Harrison, whose Handmade Films produced 1985's "Water" and 1983's "Bullshot," both of which Clement directed.

Clement and La Frenais are collaborating with AC/DC vocalist Brian Johnson on a Broadway musical. They also wrote "The Commitments." Their credits also include the classic British TV series "Porridge" and "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinAdded La Frenais: "Everyone has a memory associated with the Beatles. Whether it was your first kiss or the first time you saw that girl standing across from you at the high school dance, chances are that the DJ was playing a Beatles song."
or the time that retard almost had his daughter taken away....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02or the time that retard almost had his daughter taken away....

I hope these cover versions will be a whole lot better than those God-awful ones (save for the Mann/Penn duet on "Two Of Us") for that film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: MacGuffinI hope these cover versions will be a whole lot better than those God-awful ones (save for the Mann/Penn duet on "Two Of Us") for that film.

what about nick cave's cover of '"let it be"?

Pas

I tought there were a couple good covers on that one...

tpfkabi

why can't anyone use the original Beatles' recordings?
i know they would have been used a reused some many times by now, so maybe they wanted to keep that from happening.

i can think of two films that have actual Beatles' recordings:
Can't Buy Me Love - same as title
Ferris Bueller - cover of Twist and Shout
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

I Want To Hold Your Hand - lots
Bowling For Columbine - Happiness is a Warm Gun

umm... it has something to do with the rights something something, like michael jackson owns the publishing so anyone can cover a song but not use the orignal without surviving members/estates permissions.  something like that.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

It also costs a crap load of money.

More:

Come Together - "A Bronx Tale"
When I'm Sixty-Four - "World According To Garp"

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

"I Should've Known Better"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Don't Bother Me"
"All My Loving"
"If I Fell"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"And I Love Her"
"I'm Happy Just to Dance with You"
"Tell Me Why"
"She Loves You"
"A Hard Day's Night"

-a hard day's night
under the paving stones.

tpfkabi

it must be a very high price (i wish i could find figures) because, like i said, you know everyone and their mom would have been using them. it blew my mind when i turned on the tv one day and saw Patrick Dempsey riding a lawn mower to Can't Buy Me Love. i guess they were wiling to cut the price for Bowling for Columbine (i'm guessing its budget is a lot less than your average feature).
what are some films with I Want to Hold Your Hand?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Quote from: bigideaswhat are some films with I Want to Hold Your Hand?
early robert zemeckis, just released on dvd, i will be seeing it this month...

meatwad

i know wes anderson orig. wanted the beatles version of hey jude in the beginning of royal tenenbaums, and instead of van morrison's ''everyone'' at the end he wanted the beatles ''i'm looking through you''.....but they just could not afford it

and i may be wrong, but i think michael jackson only owns the rights to later beatles songs, and the beatles lost the rights to their early songs a while ago