put your Gondry right here.

Started by picolas, April 18, 2004, 01:23:38 AM

JG

same ol thing for gondry but i frigggin love it.  it has such a nice feel to it.  it makes me happy.  and it's great to see brion.  but seriously, moving beds.  think of something new gondry. 

what ? brion was there? i already erased it  :doh:
riiiiiight, the dude with the tiny white piano...  i just remembered lovely hobo mr west (mr west mr west mr west) and patrick rockwell /sam bateman alias maroon 5 guy.

by the way , kanye has another version of the video. yep he directed it with the drawings of bill plympton.

here's the whole story:
http://www.director-file.com/gondry/kanye.html
context, context, context.

modage

from ew

French director Michel Gondry, whose screwball fantasty The Science Of Sleep sold for $6 million, is eyeing a mainstream comedy for his next project.  While discussing the film with his agent, Gondry procured from his pocket a small head shot of an actor he wanted to cast.  The guy in the photo?  Terrence Howard.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

For those of you who wanted Gondry, McG and Ratner all in the same book, it has arrived:

Entertainment writer and TV producer Horowitz encountered "diverse voices" when he asked 22 contemporary filmmakers about their aspirations, influences, contradictory methods and problem-solving approaches for this probing collection. For Monster, Patty Jenkins wanted to explore how a normal person could become "a feral animal." Acclaimed for Girlfight, Karyn Kusama believes "there's a way to take those kind of social realist dramas and do something lyrical with them." Discussion topics range from filmmaker fears to technological advances. Alone in his apartment, the reclusive Kerry Conran created a film on his Mac that was so innovative he soon found himself on a set directing Gwyneth Paltrow (in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow). Yet French-born Michel Gondry, lauded for the mental gymnastics of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, feels digital effects inhibit performance. Other subjects include Neil LaBute (In the Company of Men), Kevin Smith (Clerks) and Jon Favreau (Zathura). Childhood backgrounds are a constant theme, as are dreams. As Conran puts it, "We've finally come to a time in our history where you can create what you see in your imagination, what you dream."

Book Description
A revealing look at the influences and aspirations of today’s hottest filmmakers

A new era has dawned in Hollywood, with a wave of innovative filmmakers redefining the art of big-screen entertainment for modern audiences. Entertainment journalist Josh Horowitz provides an in-depth look at twenty directors on the leading edge through a series of candid interviews.
Horowitz covers a full range of styles and sensibilities—revealing both the points of agreement and the sharp distinctions among this eclectic group:

• Kevin Smith’s do-it-yourself aesthetics in Clerks and Chasing Amy
• Michel Gondry’s surreal dreamscapes in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
• Trey Parker’s love of fart jokes in South Park
• How Jon Favreau’s teenage obsession with Dungeons & Dragons helped make Swingers
• Todd Philips’ journey from documentary filmmaker to box-office success with Old School
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

if their selection was a little more discriminating i would buy that in a second.  but alas, ratner and co.  :yabbse-thumbdown:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

no joke. talk about B-List (save gondry).

takitani

On a related topic, I posted a mini-review of that book on my blog (I know a little self-pimpin' there  :oops:):
QuoteNope, you weren't seeing things. Brett Ratner (aka the Fauxteur, thanks Defamer!) and McG's names are listed alongside the likes of Michel Gondry and David Gordon Green. Gotta give Josh Horowitz credit for that brave move. Seriously, it takes cojones to do that.

It's not a great book or anything, but it's a fairly enjoyable read. Some interesting trivia facts:
-The NYU Film School admissions administrator is not the only person who should be held responsible for the Fauxteur's success. Steven Spielberg and Amblin Entertainment sent a check to young Ratner... after being impressed by a student film of his. I know... like WTFF?!! Oh Steven, Steven. I can forgive you for The Terminal, but I can't find it in my heart to forgive you for this. *shakes head* On a related note, the Fauxteur claimed that Spielberg played matchmaker to his own daughter. Is Spielberg's little girl that fug?

-Michel Gondry wanted to direct I Know What You Did Last Summer, but was ultimately turned down by the producers.

-One of the South Park creators (was it Trey or Matt?) considers Pedro Almodóvar as one of his favorite directors. Interesting.

modage

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Yeah I think this a pretty weak film.  Ditto the Pecan Pie short. 
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

citizn

This video seems to have slipped by. Cody Chesnutt - King of the Game

You can also read about the illustrative technique here.
Quote...Michel solicited Mill New York's Creative Director Angus Kneale to develop a technique of making the paper drawings 3-dimensional. Using a single sheet of paper and a bolex camera, Michel drew images a line at a time and photographed the progression so that when played back, the images looked like they were drawing themselves.

It looks like the same technique was used in the Science of Sleep trailer for all of the text.

modage

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/11067457/behind_the_scenes_becks_video_shoot/print

Captainmarc22 found a Rolling Stone news article that has nine beautiful, full-color pictures from the Cell Phone's Dead shoot, which took place on 11 June.

I'll be so bold as to reveal a tiny bit of the treatment. As you can see from the pictures, it takes place...

"...in a small New York apartment. It's a bit run down and, at first glance, looks simple. Through the window, we see an adjacent ominous building. The room has a 50's era film noir feel to it. Additionally, everything we see is black and white."

Having seen the treatment, I can say that the pictures really excite me. Y'all might think Gondry's Gone Plaid, but I'm sure you'll agree that those patterns are really neat, and Beck's suit is super-stylin'. Three cheers to the art department! It all depends on the execution, now.

Beck's new album will be out in October, but no date has been set yet for this first single.

27 June 2006
EXCLUSIVE INFO: CELL PHONE'S DEAD
Michel's next Beck video, Cell Phone's Dead, has already been shot. I have been told there is still a considerable amount of post production work left to do. I have also seen the treatment, and someday I'll be able to post it online.

Like most of Michel's work, Cell Phone's Dead will be a (black-and-white) mind-bender - a video that is perhaps closest akin to the enigmatic, somewhat haunting surrealism in his and Pierre Bismuth's The All Seeing Eye. Cell Phone's Dead will look like a one-take video, but it will certainly not be one. But the effects won't be post-heavy; there is a conscious effort here to make the surreal real.

The video's cinematographer was Shawn Kim. Post is being supervised by Louis Morin at Fly Studio. This is the second video to be produced by Raffi Adlan - King of the Game was his first.

According to my source, Beck and Michel have a long-time personal friendship and were very excited to be able to finally coordinate their schedules once again and regroup for this video. Their first collaboration, of course, was Deadweight in 1997. Indeed, Beck and Michel have tried several times to do a video together, but there was always a conflict (Eternal Sunshine, Science of Sleep, Beck's tour, Beck's son's birth, etc..). They both made a great effort to make this video happen no matter what, even though there were conflicts this time as well.

That's all I can reveal right now. That, and I'm terribly excited.

modage

saw gondry speak and answer questions for 2 hours tonite.  it was a lot of fun.  some tidbits...

- he said he is starting to film Be Kind Rewind tomorrow in New Jersey.  he also wrote the script (i didnt realize that before)

- ended up working with the white stripes because of a misunderstanding.  they had seen a lenny kravitz video by mark romanek and mistaken it for gondrys kravitz video (which Gondry admitted is not very/as good).  but when they met with him, he brought with him a lego head of jack white and they were immediately sold

- he said he shoots about 2 music videos a year now that he is doing films because of the time.  he also showed us 40 seconds from the new Beck video "Cell Phones Dead", which looked pretty amazing.  it was also in black and white

- he has been shooting a documentary for a few years about his auntie who was a schoolteacher, shooting footage at various tiny schoolhouses she has worked at during her life.  he is now in the process of editing it.

- he also showed us a video he made for a song cody chesnutt played spontaneously during the filming of Block Party and he said it was the best musical moment in the film.  he made a video for the film himself using the live recording as music and animating it using a "stereo" technique of drawing something and scanning it in, replicating that image in many layers to give a 3D effect.  it was very handmade looking and said it was made to be included on the dvd, but they left it off so he plans on using it in the future on something

- he said he hopes to make a 2nd volume of videos and shorts but that he had not seen a dime from the first Directors Label DVD he produced which he estimated had sold 300,000 copies.  he said he hoped the money was going to charity jokingly.

- he said he kept a notebook of all the bad reviews he had gotten on Human Nature and kept going back to it to see why each thing bothered him, mostly because there was some truth to it.  so prior to making Eternal Sunshine he learned a lot from trying not to repeat his mistakes and it was very helpful for him

- WB had sent along a few clips from Science of Sleep but each were only about 30-40 seconds so he would try to setup a clip and then it would play but the clips were so short and devoid of context that he apologized for having to watch them.  he had thought they would be longer.

- got my Eternal Sunshine DVD signed = me  :yabbse-grin:

Bethie

now is a good time to let you know that I don't like you at all
who likes movies anyway

cine

MacGuffin

Looks like Bethie and Cine got mod's Gondry...

Right Here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks