The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

Alethia

definitely the first one, i havent seen help! in a few years but i used to have a vhs copy of it and watched it fairly often for a good year or two, i remember it being quite funny

help is one of my favorite movies even if i haven't seen it in at least 15 years.
context, context, context.

Ravi

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

A little know fact about me is that I got my Xixax handle from a certain Beatles song. 
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

sickfins

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-alphabet.html

read along with these when listening to the beatles for some interesting technical insight.

tpfkabi

Quote from: sickfins on April 28, 2006, 03:11:18 PM
http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-alphabet.html

read along with these when listening to the beatles for some interesting technical insight.

wow, this is pretty cool. can you give me any background on it? i've taken a little music theory, so i doubt i will grasp most of it, but still interesting to read.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

sickfins

read a little bit about tonics and just play the songs as you read the articles...it's actually a good way to learn pieces of music theory you haven't picked up yet by looking up what he's talking about and finding the example in the song.

tpfkabi

i meant more like who the guy is and the site in general.

pete

yeah, but similar insights can be written on most good pop bands.  Beatles did not have chord progressions that were especially groundbreaking or note-worthy--except for Michelle.  That song went from diminished minor 7 to major and back again, like a snake!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

JG

yeah but some of their songs were surprisingly complex. 

SHAFTR

I just want to point out how fantastic John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album is.  If you do buy the cd though, take off the 2 bonus tracks (Power to the People & Do the Oz) since they ruin the mood of the album.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

bonanzataz

Quote from: SHAFTR on July 01, 2006, 02:22:42 AM
I just want to point out how fantastic John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album is.  If you do buy the cd though, take off the 2 bonus tracks (Power to the People & Do the Oz) since they ruin the mood of the album.

agreed, but on its own, do the oz kicks ass. power to the people kind of blows.

anybody buy/know about yoko ono's plastic ono band? they both released albums entitled "plastic ono band" on the same day with these covers.

john's plastic ono band.

yoko's plastic ono band.

john featured classic john songwriting, yoko featured really cool backing tracks with her doing primal screams. needless to say, when fans bought yoko's album expecting john's album, they were pissed. i just bought yoko's album, and i kind of love it.

any insane beatles fans out there with a shit-ton of bootlegs? i have this really great bootleg in which they're recording what was to become "let it be" and george has left the band after having that fight with paul. paul is in the background freaking out and playing martha my dear on the piano while the producers are all freaking out asking john what the hell they're going to do and if this is the end of the beatles. yoko asks for a mic and just starts SCREAMING repeatedly, to the tune of martha my dear, "JOHN! JOHN!" her and john engage in lyrical loveplay (much to the dismay of the producers). i understand why people hate yoko so much. i completely love her.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

JG

haha i would love to hear that.  all i have is the demos for the white album.  honey pie is pretty cool!

tpfkabi

this scene might actually be in the Let It Be footage. it's been a while since i've seen it. i know George gets shocked at one point.

any way you could Honey Pie up somewhere?

i love the WA version, so i'm anxious to hear the demo.

MacGuffin

Is your Honey Pie different than the one minute nineteen second demo on Anthology 3?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks