the coup

Started by pete, June 08, 2006, 01:28:10 PM

pete

I saw this hip hop band last night called the coup.  they were notorious a few years ago when their pre-911 album cover featured an exploding twin towers, then came 911.  it features this guy named Boots, with a big fro and a lot of charm, who works the crowd, and this big ol' lady named "Pam the Funkstress", his trusted sidekick and dj.  and when they tour, they're backed up by a live funk band, didn't remember their names, but they could wail, they could rock, and they could groove, sometimes all in the same song.  it was amazing musicianship, it was like mos def meets the parliaments (minus the brass) or something.  a really great time.  aside from the live funk music, they also differ from other hiphop groups by rhyming about really interesting stories about interesting characters that they knew, from funny--like dudes selling knockoff clothes, to sad, like the friend who died in a cosmetic surgery (actually that sounds kinda funny too, but obviously it's not when he sings it), and when he's live he's also paired up with this hot little girl who could krump and dance and sing, she was raw and sweet, like honey dipped sushi.

http://www.thecoupmusic.net/

check them out here.  if you're looking for samples of their music, I suggest just listen to the lyrics, 'cause when you see them live, it's way funkier and more powerful than the sample music sounds.  the live show I saw was intimate, fun, emotional, and delivered really really solid music.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

hedwig

pam the funkstress is the best part.  :shock:

really. i'm not sure how i feel about boots riley's voice. i'll get back to you on that after a few more listens. but pamela's tracks are total soundscape of funkadelica :!: :idea:

i don't like every track on the album, but there's enough good stuff on here that it's managed to bypass the lameness consuming so many hip hop acts these days.. i LOVE "I Just Wanna Lay Around All Day In Bed With You". sorta reminds me of way early Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik outkast. and the transition from that song to "Head" is hilarious. actually that transition represents what i like most about this album, it's political without being depressing.

here's the infamous Party Music album cover:

which pairs up nicely with this cover, released a few years later by rapper Paris..

and now i'm hungry for sushi. thanks pete.

mogwai

paris has always had a thing for the bush family.

pete

Quote from: Hedwig on June 14, 2006, 11:23:09 AM
pam the funkstress is the best part.  :shock:

really. i'm not sure how i feel about boots riley's voice. i'll get back to you on that after a few more listens. but pamela's tracks are total soundscape of funkadelica :!: :idea:

and now i'm hungry for sushi. thanks pete.

pam doesn't do the tracks though; she just does the cutting and the scratching.  boots uses mostly live musicians and whatnot.  pam is supposedly one of the best DJs out there.

why are you hungry for sushi?
- Buster Keaton

hedwig

Quote from: pete on June 16, 2006, 01:41:33 AM
pam doesn't do the tracks though; she just does the cutting and the scratching.  boots uses mostly live musicians and whatnot.  pam is supposedly one of the best DJs out there.
ah, my mistake. then i meant to compliment the musicians, as well. :yabbse-thumbup:

Quote from: pete on June 16, 2006, 01:41:33 AM
why are you hungry for sushi?
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Quote from: pete on June 08, 2006, 01:28:10 PM
she was raw and sweet, like honey dipped sushi.

pete

oh yeah.
true fact: after posting this, I had some quick sushi yesterday when I was out.
- Buster Keaton