Banning

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, January 05, 2004, 05:43:32 PM

Raikus

You're not the only one that cares. Not every person gets banned for the same exact reason. So the whole "we already expained it! Yeesh! It's so hard for us to come up with reasons other than... Yeesh! We already explained it!" excuse is tired. Banning is a big event because it's permanently removing a member from the community. If the admins don't understand why non-admins would appreciate an explanation when this happens than there's a bigger gap between all of us than we realize.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Xixax

It's all about questioning authority, really.

I'm not sure if that's a good thing in this case, or a bad thing.

Ya can't please all the people all the time I reckon.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Raikus

It's not really even about questioning authority though (even though I think that's a healthy virtue--politics especially). Bannings don't happen every day. What is the harm in defining the reason(s) the person was banned when they are? Surely the reasons are already within the PM's being send around between the admins. Why is it so hard to post them for the public?

Most of this "dissention" isn't coming from the fact people are getting banned. It's coming from no one notifying the community that it happened except for the banned member or until someone asks a question about it. Then it does turn into a thing because someone asks about it and other people start chosing sides.

What harm is there in public notification with causes expressed?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

RegularKarate

there's obviously no winning here.

If we were to start a thread that said "So and So was banned today because blah blah blah" then people would think we were holding up the severed head of our enemy, screaming "This might happen to you if you don't watch out!"

It's not like we would ever just ban someone out of the blue without warnings first.

Pantelones had been warned off and on for months before he was banned.  

If you're really worried about doing something bannable, just use your head.  If you drift even close to being banned, you'll know it.

it's getting to the point where "it's all been said before" has been said so many times before that it's really lost meaning.

Raikus

This isn't about knowing guidelines on bannable offenses.

This is about courtesy. You're in the know as an admin. The vast majority of us aren't. So when members begin dropping like flies I'd appreciate knowing why. If the roles were reversed, wouldn't you appreciate someone informing you why a member was banned instead of keeping it hush-hush? Eventually someone is going to ask what happened to ______ and it will begin again.

So, again, why is it so hard to nip this in the bud and just say why they were banned when they are?

kotte

Quote from: RegularKarateIf we were to start a thread that said "So and So was banned today because blah blah blah" then people would think we were holding up the severed head of our enemy, screaming "This might happen to you if you don't watch out!"

slice

wouldn't it be so much more fun if people just started disappearing and nobody knew why

okay so let's all split up and search the house
no that's what they want us to do
yes exactly

later

suzy this ramsacked ballroom is giving me the creeps...suzy?

Raikus

Quote from: kotte
Quote from: RegularKarateIf we were to start a thread that said "So and So was banned today because blah blah blah" then people would think we were holding up the severed head of our enemy, screaming "This might happen to you if you don't watch out!"
Yeah, thanks Kotte. I read it, I just don't think it's viable. I'm still holding out for a real answer.

phil marlowe

i must say that i enjoy this DAMN FINE RESTAURENT, and the food is for free too. isn't that nice?

and i don't have a problem with the management kicking out people who SHIT IN OTHER PEOPLES FOOD.

Jeremy Blackman

I think it's reasonable to ask us to announce when a member has been banned, because it really is a big deal... but how should we do that (like RK said) without seeming threatening and ominous?

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobI want to know where the line is so I don't cross it.
Don't flatter yourself. You're not even close.

Raikus

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI think it's reasonable to ask us to announce when a member has been banned, because it really is a big deal... but how should we do that (like RK said) without seeming threatening and ominous?
Just the facts, jack. Presenting the facts can't be misconstrued as threatening I would think. Cite two examples as to why they were in the hot seat and then the final thing that pushed them over the edge. I'm sure there's some type of protocal that admins use to decide to when to ban someone, so I would imagine that would suffice as well.

It doesn't need to be a Supreme Court verdict or anything, just a simple explanation of why they were banned and the examples. I think if communication was openned to include everyone a lot of this type talk would cease to exist.

Oh, and JB, thanks for listening.

Xixax

Offense 1: GDIDM has a small penis.
Offense 2: GDIDM has never been in my anus.
Banned Because: GDIDM doesn't want a piece of me.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Ok, so maybe could we start a Usergroup and when you decide to ban someone or do something important, message everyone in the user group?

You don't need to post a thread, just PM those who would like to know...is that so much to ask?

I'm sorry I ruffled some feathers, and I didn't set out to accuse and call people out.  I guess if we can start a usergroup:

1) how do we do that?
2) who wants to join?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pedro

you seem a little insecure, buddy.  they'll be a comment somewhere on here when someone gets banned, and you'll know.  i dont think we need to go this far...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatyou seem a little insecure, buddy.  they'll be a comment somewhere on here when someone gets banned, and you'll know.  i dont think we need to go this far...

That may be, but here's how about this:
If I never brought it up, would the admins have taken it upon themselved to tell us?  

They were saying that he was warned through PMs and such, so it was a private thing, but banning is kind of a big thing.  But since it was all behind the curtain, would they have felt compelled to tell us?  Maybe no one cares but Raikus and I, but that's why I made this thread.

Because at least one person cared.  Furthermore, even though it was only one person, it did show that someone else would like to have known.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye