The 80th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, September 12, 2007, 12:07:15 AM

Pwaybloe

Well, it was what it was.  Another overrated movie wins best pic.  Anyway, it was a pretty good show.  I agree that the Brad Renfro dismissal was ridiculous.  I loved seeing Tilda Swinton and Marion Cotillard win.  Javier Bardem winning was, well... it was predictable.  Congrats to DDL and Elswit for working on the best movie this year.     

Good night to you all and God bless. 

Jeremy Blackman

While I'm a TWBB advocate, it feels absurd that it has to compete with Old Country, another very good movie. It brought back memories of Magnolia competing with American Beauty.

I'm completely fine with PTA not winning anything.

Did the Coens look like the least enthusiastic Oscar recipients of all time, or what?

Bethie

My friend tried to get me to drink box wine. Gross. We did an Oscar pool, we both pretty much chose the same nominees. When Elizabeth took the first award, we were in deep trouble. I was so wrong on so many! Tilda? she looks like Eric Stoltz!

Truthfully I only wanted to see PTA in a suit. My friend kept laughing at me cause I simply call him "Paul."  He said I talk about PTA like he's my cousin.

and who knew DDL was so hot? (cut to P saying "Rebecca Miller")
who likes movies anyway

Reinhold

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 25, 2008, 01:42:46 AM
Did the Coens look like the least enthusiastic Oscar recipients of all time, or what?

No, they just seemed a little stoned.

Quote from: bethie
(cut to P saying "Rebecca Miller")
i heard he's not posting until PTA's next film.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

The highlight of the night for me was seeing what Roderick Jaynes looks like.

©brad

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 25, 2008, 01:42:46 AMDid the Coens look like the least enthusiastic Oscar recipients of all time, or what?

hahah, yeah it's just the way they are. i do believe they were genuinely honored and happy to win.

ethan's speech (or lack thereof) was priceless.

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on February 24, 2008, 10:55:20 PM
Quote from: Stefen on February 24, 2008, 10:26:18 PM
They gave the orig screenplay to THAT hack?

Invalidated.  :yabbse-thumbdown:

But you have to admit that was a sincere, emotional acceptance. 

No way, man. So since she's a cute girl we're supposed to overlook her hackiness? Way to fall right into her trap! That's the whole reason she's even where she is to begin with! Then she has the nerve to dedicate it to writers like herself? HACK.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Chest Rockwell

Classiest moment of the night: letting Marketa Irglova back on stage.
That was the best part of the night! Her speech was also great. I'm not a fan of Once or that song, but that was a pretty cute moment.

The New York Times' post-mortem analysis irritates me quite a bit. They seem to be blaming the Academy for the lack of any big popular pictures getting much recognition, saying "the trend threatens to turn the yearly ritual into a niche affair instead of a shared national experience." And they also listed big names that have been nominated before but "went empty-handed" like Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington. What should the Academy do? Make Transformers Best Picture? This was maybe the first year in a while I have been interested, with two films I like (one I love)being the front-runners.

Gamblour.

ANY analysis that says that the Academy ostracizes the audience by nominating and awarding films that don't make any money is worthless. God forbid the Academy award films of artistic merit for once! Maybe next year, Tyler Perry for Best Director, and National Treasure 3 for Best Pic.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Stefen on February 25, 2008, 09:13:17 AM

No way, man. So since she's a cute girl we're supposed to overlook her hackiness? Way to fall right into her trap! That's the whole reason she's even where she is to begin with! Then she has the nerve to dedicate it to writers like herself? HACK.

I think I agree with Stefen.   :shock:

There's still a part of me that doesn't want to hate her and found her speech to be authentic and (thankfully) unquirky but he's right.  It's a double edged sword to say that an attractive woman is successful because of her sex appeal (am I calling out sexism in others or making a sexist remark myself?) but I don't think they'd be putting Cody out at the front if she didn't have the stripper backstory.  If she was a 45-year-old mother of three who was inspired by how her teenage daughter talks, it wouldn't have made it to the Oscars, if it had even been made at all.

Alexandro

Quote from: hacksparrow on February 25, 2008, 10:14:19 AM
Quote from: Stefen on February 25, 2008, 09:13:17 AM

I think I agree with Stefen.   :shock:

There's still a part of me that doesn't want to hate her and found her speech to be authentic and (thankfully) unquirky but he's right.  It's a double edged sword to say that an attractive woman is successful because of her sex appeal (am I calling out sexism in others or making a sexist remark myself?) but I don't think they'd be putting Cody out at the front if she didn't have the stripper backstory.  If she was a 45-year-old mother of three who was inspired by how her teenage daughter talks, it wouldn't have made it to the Oscars, if it had even been made at all.

whatever, the real problem with her winning is that Juno's screenplay is not half as good as the Michael Clayton one. I haven't seen The Savages, but it looks like that's another really strong screenplay. i hope diablo cody gets better as a writer, so she can prove this thing wasn't so underserved.

Stefen

It was a flavor of the month pick. Unless she goes on to do something like adapt Vonnegut successfully, this award will always make me consider her a hack.

Maybe I'm just putting too much stock into the award. I feel writing awards are some of the most prestigious awards at the Oscars or any awards show and her winning for that MTV movie is a travesty in my opinion. She's not a writer. She's just a story.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Alexandro on February 25, 2008, 10:56:21 AM
i hope diablo cody gets better as a writer, so she can prove this thing wasn't so underserved.

If she gets better, she'll actually be proving that this win was undeserved.  And if she ends up being a one-trick pony, she'll still prove that it was undeserved.  In any case, this was undeserved.  

Now that we're all caught up in award fever, when will the 'Xaxies nomination process begin?  And should we even bother with a Best Film category this year or just give it right to Blood?

Jeremy Blackman

I can't bring myself to see Juno. I just can't.

At the same time, I'm trying not to hate Diablo Cody just because she beat PTA.

cine

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 25, 2008, 11:12:39 AM
At the same time, I'm trying not to hate Diablo Cody just because she beat PTA.

how did she beat him?