Can someone give me some hope for the 2003 films?

Started by EL__SCORCHO, June 04, 2003, 03:28:45 PM

godardian

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaVapor

Neil LaBute has just started on this film, due out sometime in 2004 (yeah, I know it's not 2003, but it could be January, which is close enough).  From what I've read of all his other work, it seems to be very unique, to say the least.  The Shape of Things is playing right now, and it seems a bit campy to me, but still, who knows what trailers do to a film to distort it.  In the Company of Men and Your Friends & Neighbors both received critical acclaim, and from their descriptions, I can only imagine they're great work.  But right now, I'm on the outside looking in as I haven't gotten a chance to see any of his work yet.  Still, they're on the top of my must see list.

In the Company of Men and Your Friends & Neighbors = brilliant satire of modern "love" and gender warfare.

Nurse Betty = something of a dropping off.

Possession = shockingly dull crap.

The Shape of Things = a half-return to form.

Vapor = iffy.

Wicker Man = iffy.

Your Friends and Neighbors is my favorite LaBute film. If you haven't seen it, I'd definitely recommend it. The back of the DVD box says: "If you enjoy passion, lust, sexuality, and light-hearted humor, this is your circle of friends." Think the exact, brutally and unforgiving opposite of what that blatant falsehood implies, and that's the film you'll be seeing.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

i love labute.

i shouldve mentioned this in the "the shape of things" thread but whatever: one of the best things i liked about that movie was how it made everyone in the theatre depressed at the end. that made me smile. when i saw it a second time, as soon as the end credits appeared i turned with a big smile to see all those depressed faces. it was great! there was this couple where the girl was pissed at the guy because, obviously, he had chosen the movie. i yelled out "ha ha, no ones getting laid tonight, suckers!"

it was the first time i saw a (real) neil labute film with an audience. what great joy it was.