Movie confessions!

Started by Sigur Rós, May 29, 2003, 09:10:40 AM

Gold Trumpet

I was somewhat replying to you ebeman, but also a great deal to mac's own words on trying to say the reason why the 40s and 50s were the golden age was because of how much movies dominated popular culture. I understand you think some movies came from them and all, but I may disagree you can understand a time of period by only watching a hanful of movies from them. There is so much more than can be seen.

~rougerum

Ernie

Alright man, just making sure. I agree with you on the handful of movies judging thing too, I definitely do have some more catching up to do. I was more excited to catch up with the 70's stuff so...as a result, I've seen a lot more films from the era.

And I totally don't wanna start a whole big fight with Mac because he's cool and helpful w/ the redirecting and all that, so let's just wait till I see some more 40's and 50's films. There are a lot I love now so that motivates me to do so.

Just to give an example, I can't live without Blackboard Jungle (1955 movie), I would literally melt and die if that movie was somehow for some reason taken away from me or unavailable to me. It's beautiful and underrated and dammit, it needs a dvd.

There are a lot of 50's movies I am really passionate about. There really isn't much from the 40's to be honest.

Ernie

Quote from: SoNowThenThough I'm thinking Marty might like 60's Europe the best, seems he's always sighting movies from then as his favorites.

Yea, that's definitely a contender for his fave decade...couldn't agree more with him either. He's got great fucking taste. I know I read somewhere that he said the best overall decade for movies was probably the 70's...it had to be him. I don't know, maybe I was dreaming.

Anyway, let me sway this thread back to the original topic w/ some more confessions. As I said, I don't want to ruin it.

-I can't live w/o cheesy 80's films like Adventures in Babysitting and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure and Beetlejuice and The Goonies and both Ghostbusters movies and a whole bunch of others...Ferris Bueller's Day Off...there's quite a few more.
    -I really love these two kinda cheesy 90's horror movies, one is called Fear (w/ Mark Whalberg)...the other is called The Craft (with Fairuza Balk)...they are 2 of my favorite movies.
    -I disagree with PTA about Putney Swope, Singing in the Rain (good-not great), and the Jacque Tati movies.
    -I don't think Jennifer Connelly is beautiful or even good looking at all.
    -I have a soft spot for VHS, I still watch the movies not available on DVD yet on VHS and I enjoy doing it very much.

-Alright, let me warn you...this is the
mother of them all, the movie confession above all movie confessions...so brace yourself...

if you think you are ready...scroll...down...

-I am straight as a fucking stiff arrow but if I was absolutely forced...like my life was threatened and I absolutely HAD to...HAD to had to had to had to....go out with and maybe even marry a GUY (!)...I'd probably choose Johnny Depp...I think he's really really handsome and sort of resembles Audrey Tautou in a weird way. So there it is.[/list:u]

Alright, that's enough for now. That took a lot out of me...I hope I still am looked at in the same light as before. I really am not bi or gay in anyway whatsoever. This is an addicting thread. It feels so good to get all this out. This is the most self indulgent fun I've had in awhile.

sexterossa

i love the movie clueless.
i hated the usual suspects. a good ending does not make up for the rest of the garbage.
my favorite movie of 2001 was vanilla sky ( or it was at the time at least).  
i though DAS BOOT was one of the worse movies i have seen in the past couple of years.
I dream of birds and sometimes they land and burst into flames. And I dream my teeth are rotting. And when I am awake, I dream of you.

Pas

Quote from: ebeaman-I don't think Jennifer Connelly is beautiful or even good looking at all.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/1138/wi20010324_JenniferConnely_Vespa_161540.jpg

Nuff said

MacGuffin

Quote from: ebeamanThere really isn't much from the 40's to be honest.

Rebecca
The Letter
Philadelphia Story
Pinocchio
His Girl Friday
Grapes Of Wrath
Foreign Correspondent

Citizen Kane
Suspicion
Maltese Falcon
Dumbo
Sullivan's Travels
Fantasia
The Lady Eve
Sergent York
How Green Was My Valley

Casablanca
Magnificent Ambersons
Cat People
To Be Or Not To Be
Bambi
Pride Of The Yankees
Now, Voyager
Yankee Doodle Dandy
This Gun For Hire

Shadow Of A Doubt
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Ox-Bow Incident
Song of Bernadette
The Whom The Bell Tolls

Double Indemnity
Gaslight
Arsenic and Old Lace
Meet Me In St. Louis
Laura
Lifeboat
To Have And Have Not
The Uninvited

Spellbound
Lost Weekend
Picture of Dorian Gray
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Murder, My Sweet
Mildred Pierce

Notorious
The Killers
It's A Wonderful Life
Best Years Of Our Lives
Gilda
My Darling Clementine
Duel In The Sun
The Big Sleep
Brief Encounter
Great Expectations

Black Narcissus
Gentleman's Agreement
Miracle On 34th Street
Out Of The Past
Dark Passage
Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer

Red Shoes
Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Easter Parade
Sorry, Wrong Number
Lady From Shanghai
Red River
I Remember Mama
Key Largo

The Third Man
The Heiress
Kind Hearts and Coronets
White Heat
On The Town
Gun Crazy
Adam's Rib
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Letter To Three Wives
Twelve O'Clock High

There's more I'm forgetting, but...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pookiethecat

[quote="ebeaman"

-I am straight as a fucking stiff arrow but if I was absolutely forced...like my life was threatened and I absolutely HAD to...HAD to had to had to had to....go out with and maybe even marry a GUY (!)...I'd probably choose Johnny Depp...I think he's really really handsome and sort of resembles Audrey Tautou in a weird way. So there it is.[/list][/quote]

anytime you're freaking yourself out with homoerotic thoughts about johnny depp, just think of him having really bad facial hair and greasy hair in a ponytail (as he's often prone to do).
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MrBurgerKingMacMuffin, but ebeaman was asking for films from the 40's.. what are you thinking?

What can I say, I'm a giver.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MrBurgerKingMacMuffin, but ebeaman was asking for films from the 40's.. what are you thinking?

What can I say, I'm a giver.

Maybe that's a problem. Have you ever been a taker? If you saw a $5 dollar bill resting on the ground, would you pick it up? Do you live by the 5 second rule?

Ernie

Quote from: pookiethecatanytime you're freaking yourself out with homoerotic thoughts about johnny depp, just think of him having really bad facial hair and greasy hair in a ponytail (as he's often prone to do).

Lol, thank you...I'll keep that in mind.

No, I just think he's very good looking. I haven't freaked myself out...yet. My sister was more freaked out than I am when I made the confession to her...even after hearing incessant musings on Audrey and Zooey, she still thinks I may be gay... :?...there's some misunderstanding. She agreed that Audrey and Zooey were very beautiful when I talked about them and when she talked about Johnny I agreed and then...it all doesn't make any sense...I have to go to bed.

And burgerking has to start not posting so much w/ the alter ego...I agree that the gimmick is kinda funny...but only in small doses. You should create another name that is like your normal self...post on that more often...than switch to the burger king one on special occasions...like when mcdonald's gets sued by another obese teenager or something.

MrBurgerKing

I don't know, gay boy, you sure its a good idea to tell a family member about your homoerotic caveman-like sexual impulses?

Ernie

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI don't know, gay boy, you sure its a good idea to tell a family member about your homoerotic caveman-like sexual impulses?

Careful...I do have a sliding glass door and a hammer. And I ain't buildin' a dog house.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MrBurgerKingMaybe that's a problem.

Appreciative people would call it a blessing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: MrBurgerKingMaybe that's a problem.

Appreciative people would call it a blessing.

hey, don't point fingers at me now, I haven't eaten a restaurant breakfast in years. I try to go during lunch or dinner, but never breakfast. The way I figure, why rush through the most important meal of the day? Of course I don't rush through lunch or dinner though, I try to eat it slow and enjoy it. You can't disrespect breakfast though. I feel sorry for the people who generally don't like breakfast foods. Speaking of breakfast, why do we eat what we do for breakfast (yes, I'm generalizing here, any or all of the following: eggs, milk, cereal, etc..)? Let me clarify that, who decided that we have to eat those foods for breakfast? Why can't we eat a cheeseburger and french fries? Do they not work early in the morning, or are we so used to not eating those foods in the morning that we can't fathom eating such junk in the early hours? On the flip side, do breakfast foods work for dinner?  Of course they work, but it doesn't seem right. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about? I doubt it, I just did a 6 hour shift at my garbage job which I quit. I told my boss that I quit two weeks ago but she still gives me a few hours a week. I'm home for the summer and I want to enjoy it! Why won't my boss listen to me? Perhaps ebeaman can tell me, because MacMuffin ain't.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI try to go during lunch or dinner, but never breakfast. The way I figure, why rush through the most important meal of the day?

The Croissanwich is a landmark accomplishment in corporatizing an ethnic staple and reducing it to a shrivelled, bland version of the original.