You Were Never Really Here

Started by wilder, May 19, 2017, 05:32:10 AM

Shughes

Alethia

Shughes

Wow, these are great! Some of the images I recognise as the root of other images in the film instantly. I love the cap too, haha.

Thanks for sharing these. It's really interesting to see how one of my favourite directors prepares a look book/mood boards - very simple, one image per page. And a practical book to take on set is great - it's printed images on each page right, rather than cut out and stuck in? I assume that's to be able to print multiple copies for collaborators too.

Really great to get an insight into this. Thanks again for sharing.

csage97

This is the film I think I'm most excited for this year. Jonny Greenwood's score is out now and it's excellent. Joaquin Phoenix. Lynne Ramsay visuals. The plot seems short and sweet, but if it's really intense and immersive, I think it'll be great. Plus, others have mentioned it's more than just a simple plot and is very dense and full of meaning. I'm hoping it opens somewhere near me in Canada ....

csage97

a-and Kermode gives a highly glowing review of You Were Never Really Here!

Alethia

Finally got to see this last night. Spent most of the screening totally distracted by a continual rush of memories brought on scene to scene of the actual experience of working on it, so a second viewing is a must, but my feelings as of now are pretty conflicted. Perhaps I'm just overly familiar with the various incarnations of the material, but this felt way too thin to me. The story was chopped to shit, and too many scenes try to skate by on atmosphere alone and there just isn't enough there. Joaquin is good as always but he's been far better in far better films. This character just isn't especially compelling or memorable. Some nice visuals, etc, but nothing extraordinary. Perhaps my feelings will change, but I'm pretty disappointed. Just bounced right off me.

Shughes

It worked so well for me. I loved the approach to the material - it felt very subjective and focused to me, rather than thin. It sidestepped cliché at every turn and could easily have fallen apart in different hands - a character study rather plot heavy. And Greenwood's music was incredible - this and Phantom Thread (with)in the same year - what an achievement!

I'd be curious to know how you feel if/when you see it again. It's interesting, and inevitable, that your memories of working on it colour your viewing of it. And my awe of Lynne Ramsay probably colours mine.

Alethia

Yeah, in the days since that screening I've been rolling various aspects of it over in my mind, and strongly suspect I may feel differently after my second viewing. I need to go again, alone this time, to the loudest screening in NY, forget everything and let it just wash over me.

samsong

loved this.  visceral, purely cinematic, at once tremendously painful and beautiful. 

WorldForgot

Caught this last night. Immediately wanted to see it again. This is my fav sort of film, where the performances and environments inform as much about the protagonist'z headspace as anything, better than any exposition might. Weirdly, I found myself relating it to a Paddy Chayefsky'z Marty. In the sense of swirling loneliness, and that it felt modern and ready to eviscerate the metropolis/city as toxic to human spirit, its gestalt empowering all the wrong sorts of ambition.

The quick cuts to Joe's time in the military, or his memory from that time. That's where I was sold on its staccato beats. Then, the underwater bit, well, that's poetry to me.

Jonny... A fkn master. Even if the film's not playing in your area, check out the score.

Alethia

Really eager to see it again. It's been growing in my mind since I saw it and all the disconnect I felt has faded. Your guys' enthusiasm is exacerbating this.

WorldForgot

This piece tracking Joaquinz roles via physicality articulates quite well how profound expression can be achieved in subtle moves.

raptoroblivion

You Were Never Really Here, so far, is my favorite film of the year. Interesting comparisons to Taxi Driver: a film I consider terrible. Ramsay accomplishes in only 90 minutes what Scorsese fails to do in almost 2 hours. Many people walk away from Taxi Driver thinking Travis Bickle is cool; regardless of whether or not this is Scorsese's intention, it is an observable result of the film. Scarcely any could walk away from YWNRH and feel the same way about Joe or what he does in the film. The effects of violence are so honestly shown: this is the heartbreak of the film's few final scenes.

Interested in what others consider cliche in the film, as I found it fairly subversive of cliche. Perhaps it's subversions themselves were cliche? I could see how one would view perhaps the use of upbeat music during dark/violent scenes as a cliche, but I feel Ramsay uses this music only diegetically in scenarios where characters are using this innocent/happy music to cloud their dark acts as a defense/coping mechanism --  a conscious form of dissociation, if you will.

samsong

saw it again in a edifyingly near-full theater and loved it even more.  it may even have supplanted paddington 2 as my favorite of the year so far.

that ramsay accomplishes such emotional and philosophical depth in a brisk 85 minute art house revisionist film noir that flaunts style for days is a cinematic christmas miracle.  it's possibly the most effective, harrowing, disturbingly entertaining film about living with depression and suicidal ideation that i've ever seen.

csage97

These thoughts from you guys are really building my anticipation up to feverish heights. Unfortunately, I doubt the film will play near me for some weeks, if at all. Hopefully, since Amazon Studios in distributing it, it'll stream from them fairly soon.