The RE-MASTERED DVD's - a question?

Started by Henry Krinkle, May 08, 2003, 12:17:23 AM

Henry Krinkle

I bought the original 1999 Kubrick DVD box set and was ULTRA pissed about the re-release box set in 2001 which included the excellent Jan Harlan documentary AND re-mastered versions of the same films.

I refused to buy the re-release out of protest to already buying the first release.  I lucked out with the documentary cuz it was shown on Bravo and i was able to tape it - sure it would be better to own it on DVD but i'm just glad i have a copy and have seen the thing.  I have also listened to Vivian Kubrick's commentary that was added on the re-released version of THE SHINNING to her documentary.

Anyhoo - my question is this - for anyone that owns both the original 1999 version dvds and the 2001 re-released versions (the RE-MASTERED versions as they say on the covers)  Are they truly better in picture/audio quality than the original 1999 versions?

Today i saw the RE-MASTERED version of  FULL METAL JACKET in a store for hella cheap - are these re-mastered versions really worth buying again?

From what i have read - if these re-released versions truly are better - the only titles that were re-mastered were 2001, Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shinning and Full Metal Jacket.

BTW - i wrote a letter to Warner Brothers regarding the re-release versions and how criminal it was of them to do that - my letter was un-opened and sent back to me saying to contact them by e-mail.  So I e-mailed them the letter and still have never heard back from them.

Pozer

Duck Sauce

I actually have 2 copies of A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut, since I bought them and then bought the box set. Anybody want them?

MacGuffin

Interview with restoration supervisor Leon Vitali on the remasters here.

From DVDFile:

It is a noticeable improvement over the previous, very disappointing release in 1998. The inclusion of Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures is a supplement in and of itself, and even if you are only mildly interested in the work of Kubrick, it is a highly entertaining, fascinating look at a very complex filmmaker. While I can't recommend the new Kubrick Collection without any reservations - the lack of anamorphic enhancement on most of the titles remains perplexing - the transfers themselves are overall impressive and the new 5.1 surround mixes relatively good.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

HK: check out this website. When they review the dvd's, they compare the old and new versions.

www.dvdmoviecentral.com
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

©brad

Quote from: Duck SauceI actually have 2 copies of A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut, since I bought them and then bought the box set. Anybody want them?

i do i do!

this is the only thing i have to offer in return though.

godardian

Having owned both the old and new sets, I'd say the visual and sound quality is greatly increased on the new ones. The old ones were like watching VHS transferred to DVD with no remastering at all; they were plain ugly. The new ones are crisp, sharp, clear, and sound great.

It was a shameful move on the part of Warner Bros. to rush the first one out and then release the superior one so soon.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Henry Krinkle

Thanks for the web links - SO NOW THEN and MACGUFFIN -  both were extremely helpful!  Thank you also GODARDIAN.  

If the certian re-mastered titles all go down in price as low as FULL METAL JACKE has - then it is a MUST i buy them....a SECOND time!  Dam Warner Brothers for this!!

tpfkabi

Quote from: Duck SauceI actually have 2 copies of A Clockwork Orange and Eyes Wide Shut, since I bought them and then bought the box set. Anybody want them?

i do! i do!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

tpfkabi

is it true that you can only get the documentary with the set?

that sucks. there's no way i can buy the set. i already have the remastered The Shining.

is there any way someone would burn it for me?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

godardian

The first, erm, pants-creaming moment I've had at this pants-creaming-obsessed site is seeing those Kubrick screen caps, one... after the other... after the other... after the other...

oh yeah.

Fucking gorgeous.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

MacGuffin

Quote from: bigideasis it true that you can only get the documentary with the set?

It looks like a Special Box set of the doc and a book is being readied (see here). It's listed as a two disc set. Is the WB double dipping again?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

USTopGun47

Barry Lydon on the new DVD is gorgeous.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.

godardian

Quote from: USTopGun47Barry Lydon on the new DVD is gorgeous.

Yeah, that was one that was noticeably murky on the old DVD.