Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

ono

Quote from: Pubrick on December 15, 2005, 02:16:46 AM
Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 15, 2005, 01:50:46 AM
So Warner Bros. is releasing a two-disc SE of The Unbearable Lightness of Being.  I've wanted to get this flick for a long time.  Just looking for opinions.  Should I dig for the old Criterion, or the new?  I guess extras are the main thing I'm curious about.
this is the first i've heard about it. does anyone have any details? that movie is criminally under-watched.
(Thanks, GT.)

This is where I read about it, just browsing around: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CBG5PG/ref=pd_cmp_rvi_2/103-9704404-5223866?n=130

Gold Trumpet

I guess Warners has another going for them: the cover is better too!

SiliasRuby

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 15, 2005, 02:27:33 AM
Get this new special edition. No doubt it. When Criterion released it, they were taking from an MGM transfer and typical of MGM, the transfer was not up to snuff. Warners is stellar for brand new transfers. Add on that the commentary for the new disc is the same as the one for Criterion. Then add a few more decent extra features in a documentary and you have a much improved special edition package.
Thanks I was wondering about it too.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

planet_jake

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 11, 2005, 02:04:43 PM
Looks like Criterion will pass on the Alejandro Jodorowsky releases that are upcoming of [guranteed] El Topo and The Holy Mountain. Reasons are still unclear, but it is a stunning development and quite frankly pretty sad. At least the films look to still have a North American release.

http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=110067#post110067

Ok... SO did I miss something?

It seems to be this is about an R2 release. Does this effect the Criterion Collection in someway? Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to some sweet-ass Alejandro on Criterion more than anyone, but I still don;t see the evidence disproving it. Maybe I should read the thread again...

Pubrick

Quote from: planet_jake on December 16, 2005, 12:32:06 AM
Ok... SO did I miss something?

around 9 months worth, yeah.

hmm. 9 months, u and sara go missing.. :shock: congratulations! :bravo:
under the paving stones.

planet_jake

Dear god, I can't believe anyone would remember me... us.

That Arkadin cover art looks totally radical btw.

ono

Any word on if She's Gotta Have it or Girl 6 will be a Criterion any time soon?  Seem to recall something about at least one of them a while back.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: onomabracadabra on December 18, 2005, 10:09:15 PM
Any word on if She's Gotta Have it or Girl 6 will be a Criterion any time soon?  Seem to recall something about at least one of them a while back.

Spike Lee denied everything reported soon after it hit the web.

Gold Trumpet

A Post at CCForum:

"I just got the newest issue of Premiere magazine in the mail and was looking at their Best DVDs of 2005 section. One of their selections was "The Criterion Bressons" and towards the bottom of the blurb, they write, "Criterion has Bresson's Mouchette on tap for 2006. Keep 'em coming, guys.""

Gold Trumpet

Gold Trumpet

Looks like one of the most famous Italian Neo Realist films is due for a release. Reports are going around that Criterion will release Rosselini's Rome, Open City very soon. The first source is Slate's "Movie Club" where Jonathan Rosenbaum dishes the following:

"Michelangelo Antonioni's Michelangelo Eye to Eye and Guy Maddin and Isabella Rossellini's My Dad Is 100 Years Old—two very singular shorts that I would bet most readers haven't even heard about...The latter film—Madden's supple mise en scène of Rossellini's heartfelt yet highly ambivalent effort to "place" her troublesome father Roberto in terms of film history, which she wrote, and in which she plays all the parts, including such figures as Alfred Hitchcock and David O. Selznick—will most likely turn up as a DVD bonus (I've heard that Criterion's Open City is a distinct possibility)."

http://www.slate.com/id/2132498/entry/2133399/

Another reason to believe the hype is that Rossellini will celebrate his 100th birthday in 2006. Criterion in the past has released films according to a director's such birthday. I'd expect a major Rossellini release. Also, it should be noted that Billy Wilder too turns 100 in the summer of 2006. Let Double Indeminity rumors continue.

Also, in a side note, it has been confirmed that Criterion recently has interviewed Jeanne Moreau for a future release. What release, we don't know. We all should be grateful for Criterion getting word from the only woman in film even comparable to Louise Brooks. The rumored titles she could be speaking for are as follows:

Elevator to the Gallows
Les Amants
and more....

JG

Gold Trumpet

Nevermind the centennial birthdays of both Billy Wilder and Roberto Rossellini, it looks like 2006 will be the year of Louis Malle for Criterion. Numerous films of his have already gotten theatrical re-releases with Criterion DVD rumors on top of it. Now add one more title. Jenni Olson, of the San Francisco Bay Guardian is reporting that Criterion will release God's Country by Malle in '06.

Link: (scroll to bottom) http://www.sfbg.com/40/13/art_film_top10.html

Gold Trumpet

The weakest set of releases yet from Criterion. Their April slate is very telling to how much pressure they are under to sell more discs. More re-issues than actual new releases. It is obvious Criterion is just relinquishing certain titles from the thresholds of their forbidding box sets to get more people to buy. What a fucking shame if this grows into a trend that will no doubt be oppressive to future titles.

Monterey Pop (single-disc edition)
SRP: $29.95

Jimi Plays Monterey/Shake! Otis at Monterey

The 400 Blows -

Elevator to the Gallows
SRP: $39.95

Harlan County, U.S.A. -

Grey Gardens (two-disc edition)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

So, the April 400 Blows is the OOP one and the one from Antoine boxset?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye