i am basking in paul simon....

Started by sickfins, August 17, 2003, 11:22:50 PM

sickfins

it is bliss.  disregard your notions of the music from whence it was produced and listen

blackman shares my sentinments, anyone else i hope?

selections

there is a girl in new york city who calls herself the human trampoline....

a man walks down the street,
he says why am i soft in the middle
the rest of my life is so hard
i need a photo opportunity
i want a shot at redepmtion
don't wanna end up a cartoon
in a cartoon graveyard

aclockworkjj

"Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job,
But I get no offers.

Just a come-on from the whores
On Seventh Avenue
I do declare,
There were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there.
Lie-la-lie . . . "

SoNowThen

re: a woman who was a wife

these are the very words she uses to describe her life, she says "a good day ain't got no rain", she says "a bad day's when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been"...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

I've grown up with the Graceland album in the background. So you might say it's a natural part of me.

Redlum

Only heard the Simon & Garfunkel but I love the music. He did an awesome version of Surfer Girl at the Brian Wilson tribute.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Jeremy Blackman

I'm accustomed to a smooth ride
Or maybe I'm a dog who's lost it's bite
I don't expect to be treated like a fool no more
I don't expect to sleep through the night
Some people say a lie's a lie's a lie
But I say why
Why deny the obvious child?
Why deny the obvious child?

SoNowThen

we had a lot of fun, we had a lot of money.
we had a little son, we thought we'd call him sonny.
sonny gets married and moves away.
sonny has a baby and bills to pay
sonny gets sunnier day by day by day...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Jeremy Blackman

I can't run but
I can walk much faster than this
Can't run but
I can't run but
I can walk much faster than this
Can't run but

A winding river
Gets wound around a heart. Pull it
Tighter and tighter
Until the muddy waters part
Down by the river bank
A blues band arrives
The music suffers
The music business thrives

©brad

good happy/sad music.

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.
In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone,
'Neath the halo of a street lamp,
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe music suffers
The music business thrives

Fucking haunting line, eh? It's always kinda chilled me.

aclockworkjj

"Ev'ry day's an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And ev'ry stranger's face I see
Remind me that I long to be
Homeward bound..."

SoNowThen

tell me why
why don't you love me for who I am, where I am...
she said "cos that's not the way the world works, baby"

chainsmoking insomniac

Goddammit I forgot that line.
Whew.  Could he be any more on the mark lyrically?  Jesus.......
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

AlguienEstolamiPantalones