Pavement

Started by Film Student, January 27, 2003, 04:16:09 PM

Film Student

Quick!  Everyone go out and buy Slanted and Enchanted: Luxe and Reduxe right now.  It's the greatest purchase I've made since I bought the White Album.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

Geez FS.. Pavement is SOOOO played out.

Listenin' to them since '93 and shit.

They sound exactly like Glue man, it's all the same shit.

Just kidding... haven't heard the new stuff yet... how's it compare?

Film Student

Quote from: RegularKarateGeez FS.. Pavement is SOOOO played out.

LOL.  Actually, I'm sure they ARE played out, but I just discovered them.  This new album is actually a re-release of their first album "slanted and enchanted" from '91 (?) with a couple hours worth of extra shit added (b-sides, alternate recordings, lost sessions, etc).  

I like em.  And Fuck Glue.  :)
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

Quote from: Film Student
Quote from: RegularKarateGeez FS.. Pavement is SOOOO played out.

LOL.  Actually, I'm sure they ARE played out, but I just discovered them.  This new album is actually a re-release of their first album "slanted and enchanted" from '91 (?) with a couple hours worth of extra shit added (b-sides, alternate recordings, lost sessions, etc).  

I like em.  And Fuck Glue.  :)

Oh yeah... that was the one with the piano kays and crazy writing right?  I actually have that one somewhere.  I think they used to just hand those out at O.U. about ten years ago or so.  I don't remember actually ever paying for it, but everyone I knew had one. pretty good stuff.

Film Student

Quote from: RegularKarate

Oh yeah... that was the one with the piano kays and crazy writing right?  I actually have that one somewhere.  I think they used to just hand those out at O.U. about ten years ago or so.  I don't remember actually ever paying for it, but everyone I knew had one. pretty good stuff.

Damn, I'm ten years behind when it comes to trendy college rock.  Dammit.  The shit they hand out here at OU now is stuff like The Ills and Cat Power.
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

Quote from: Film Student

Damn, I'm ten years behind when it comes to trendy college rock.  Dammit.  The shit they hand out here at OU now is stuff like The Ills and Cat Power.

Do they really hand out the Ills?  I didn't know they had anything recorded.  Oh wait, you were just using examples of local bands.

Dirk

If you liked S & E, you'll most likely like Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, their best CD. Wowee Zowee is also an incredible album worth checking out. The later stuff is not nearly as good, but not too bad.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

polkablues

Anyone who likes Pavement needs to go listen to Spoon.  Especially "Telephono", "A Series of Sneaks", and their new one, "Kill the Moonlight".  They're similar in style to Pavement and other sort of "art-rock" bands, but they have a very distinct sound.
My house, my rules, my coffee

KingBlackDeath

How great was the two disc DVD?
I drove 3 1/2 hours (I got lost) the day it came out to buy it.
I just wish they had more interviews and an interview with David Berman would rocked me in half. But it is still unbef**kinglievable.
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Mesh

Quote from: DirkIf you liked S & E, you'll most likely like Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, their best CD. Wowee Zowee is also an incredible album worth checking out. The later stuff is not nearly as good, but not too bad.

I'd say Terror Twilight is nearly as good as any of their albums.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: DirkIf you liked S & E, you'll most likely like Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, their best CD. Wowee Zowee is also an incredible album worth checking out. The later stuff is not nearly as good, but not too bad.

I'd say Terror Twilight is nearly as good as any of their albums.

That and Slanted are my favorites, actually.

Malkmus moved to Portland (my hometown) around the time Pavement split (I think), and people got so excited and made such a big deal, I sort of lost interest. Same thing happened when del Toro was there to film The Hunted. It was different with Todd Haynes, somehow. I think 'cos nobody really knew who the hell he was until after I left there. Plus, he was an improvement over van Sant. Portland attracts craggy gay independent film-makers, for some reason. I miss it a lot. Nobody good comes to/from Seattle anymore. I hate living where Pearl Jam is from. I wanna be back where Sleater-Kinney is from!![/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.