who likes vinyl?

Started by Witkacy, October 30, 2003, 04:02:13 PM

Witkacy

I'm heading to LA and some other mid-west and west coast US cities.  Any recommendations for vinyl shopping.  I'm not looking for re-issues but a store ontop of things.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

When in Portland:

The Everyday Music flagship store on 10th and West Burnside has a ton of vinyl, usually. There are also little EM branches elsewhere in Portland and one that I know of here in Seattle; they're sure to have vinyl there.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Witkacy

When in Portland or Seattle are the Zion's Gate stores still around... it's been a while since I've been in the area.

godardian

Quote from: WitkacyWhen in Portland or Seattle are the Zion's Gate stores still around... it's been a while since I've been in the area.

How long since? I haven't heard of those, actually... Record stores, right?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Witkacy

Maybe a year and a bit.... Zion's had alot of reggae and such...I wish I remembered the address... tomorrow...maybe?

kotte

Quote from: Witkacywho likes vinyl?quote]

The only way to go...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Vinyl does add that quiet hiss of the needle on the record, and I think that really adds to the music...don't know why, though.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Witkacy

van gogh

On of the reasons I fell into love with my wife ... her vinyl collection.

MacGuffin

Quote from: van goghOn of the reasons I fell into love with my wife ... her vinyl collection.

Is that when you cut off your ear?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quotewho likes vinyl?

A friend f my parents has aroom in his house full of vinyl albums. I mean....thousands. It seems he's been collecting them for years and has this weird passion for those things.
Si

tpfkabi

i would like to get some vinyl..........i have a console stereo..........it has a record player, but the needle broke off several years back..........

anyone know somewhere i can order a needle, etc?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: MacGuffinAmoeba Music
6400 Sunset Blvd.
Hollywood

I love how L.A. people automatically like to point people to Amoeba Music... it really sucks monkey nuts if you consider other alternatives... I reccomend Record Surplus on Pico Blvd in West LA, House of Records, also on Pico in Santa Monica, and Record Rover on Venice Blvd in Mar Vista... go there instead of Amoeba, and you'll find the best selection and prices on vinyl, and you won't have some freaky looking clerks helping you... and the lines are MUCH shorter...

mogwai

Isn't there a bigger thread for this? Oh well, hi yall! Been a while.

Anywho, recently I've been buying shitloads of great vinyls... Especially the reissues that have been expanded on two vinyls rather one. That alone is just brilliant!

I'm just interested if this major bump of this thread can generate a wee discussion and if someone else has any nice stories. My favorite purchase by far is the four disc (?) vinyl release of the instrumental version of Nine Inch Nails "The Fragile".