Anime

Started by penfold0101, June 10, 2003, 09:06:23 AM

MacGuffin

DreamWorks to make 'Ghost' in 3-D
Spielberg fights for rights to Japanese thriller
Source: Variety

DreamWorks has acquired rights to the Japanese manga "Ghost in the Shell" with plans to adapt the futuristic police thriller as a 3-D live-action feature.

Story follows the exploits of a member of a covert ops unit of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission that specializes in fighting technology-related crime.

Created by Masamune Shirow, "Ghost in the Shell" was first published in 1989. It went on to generate two additional manga editions, three anime film adaptations, an anime TV series and three videogames. The second anime film, "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence," was released in the U.S. by DreamWorks in 2004.

Avi Arad, Ari Arad and Steven Paul of Seaside Entertainment are attached to produce and brought the project to the studio. Jamie Moss has been tapped to pen the adaptation.

Universal and Sony were also chasing "Ghost in the Shell," but Steven Spielberg took personal interest in the property and made it happen at DreamWorks.

" 'Ghost in the Shell' is one of my favorite stories," Spielberg said. "It's a genre that has arrived, and we enthusiastically welcome it to DreamWorks."

DreamWorks prexy of production Adam Goodman said "Ghost in the Shell" is a property "that epitomizes 3-D live-action motion picture possibilities."

Avi Arad is at the forefront of comicbook-based material, having produced the three "Spider-Man" films, the three "X-Men" movies, the two "Fantastic Four" picss and the upcoming "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk."

Moss' writing credits include "Street Kings," which bowed Friday, and "Last Man Home," in development at Universal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Robyn

I don't know if I should watch the dubbed or the subbed version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. what do you guys say?

Lottery

Quote from: KJ on August 07, 2013, 01:21:50 AM
I don't know if I should watch the dubbed or the subbed version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. what do you guys say?

I typically like dubs but for some reason I chose sub for NGE. I hear the dub is pretty good though on NGE so it's a matter of preference probably.

And anyway you're in for something different (meaning it's cool sometimes as well as being ridiculously frustrating and lame at other times). Remember to watch End of Evangelion right after you finish the series (because it serves the end of the series better than the last two episodes).

Or you could watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex because it's cooler?

Robyn

I just watched the first episode dubbed so I guess I go for that. I haven't really watched a lot of anime and didn't like the first episode that much. I have heard that it's only getting better and better tho, and Pubrick also approved it on page one so what the hell.

I will check out Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex after I am finished with NGE.

Mel

I can recommend anything from Satoshi Kon. To be honest I think of him as feature director, not anime artist. I would say that themes in his work are much more mature and "western" than in conventional anime. You can compare his work to David Lynch or Terry Gilliam I guess. Start with:

• Perfect Blue - AFAIK Aronofsky is huge fan of this film. Did buy even rights to it - scream under water in bathtub in Requiem for a Dream is copied from it.
  • Millennium Actress - lighter film than Perfect Blue and my favourite. Great adventure / love story I would say (as emotions goes for me).
Other works:

• Paprika - Probably most known. Some people did draw parallel between Paprika and Inception. For me Paprika is much more visual movie. Not only one of the best looking anime (just wait for parade scene) - sound was great also.
  • Tokyo Godfathers - Christmas story / screwball comedy. This is by far his lightest production. You can watch it with your uncle and so on.
  • Paranoia Agent - unused stories stitched together: some are better than others. Not so easy to get... at least for me. If you can't get whole series, watch episode 8 called "Happy Family Planning". Black comedy and suicide commentary at its best.
  • Memories (Magnet Rose part) - recognizable themes and very good short film.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

chimbo

Although Ghost In the Shell was mentioned a couple of times in this thread I think Mamoru Oshii deserves more recognition.

The two Patlabor movies he directed are both great (the 2nd one is the best!). The Patlabor TV series is also fun but very different to the movies in terms of style and tone (he wrote and directed only a few episodes). Mamoru Oshii is now making a live action series to this franchise.

He directed a TV series called Gosenzosama Banbanzai! which used a lot of monologues and weird cutting (predating all the "stream-of-consciousness" TV series of the late 90s like EVA and Lain) and is fun to watch at the same time.

Jin-Roh which was written by Oshii and directed by his protege Hiroyuki Okiura is also a must-see.
白い目覚め

haha i love gosenzosama banbanzai!
i've been recently watching boogiepop phantom, which is basically anime twilight zone, and super awesome.
i started rewatching everything that yoshitoshi abe was involved with, haibane renmei definitely being one of my favorites. he is pure genius in his artwork.

Lottery

Still haven't caught Ghost In the Shell Arise even though I absolutely love Stand Alone Complex and ejoy the films. This should be fixed soon

chimbo

Quote from: 03 on December 23, 2013, 03:28:19 PM
i started rewatching everything that yoshitoshi abe was involved with, haibane renmei definitely being one of my favorites. he is pure genius in his artwork.
I just re-watched Lain weeks ago. I'd say with almost 15 years removed it lost some of its luster (should I blame it to the bad CGI? :ponder:). The opening and ending are still awesome.
白い目覚め

pete

everybody find and watch Mind Game
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

rewatching trigun from the beginning. dear god what an amazing world created..

WorldForgot

Monogatari Series: Supernatural sex comedy that waxes philosophical.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Imperialism's weight on Japan as a high-stakes mech political thriller

KILL LA KILL: Absurdist comedy on materialism & ironic subversion of the genre's "fan-service" angle

EVANGELION: 3.0+1.0 THRICE UPON A TIME: Culmination of a nearly 3-decade endeavor by Hideaki Anno. Mech battles that contort interior-mindscapes. Aspirational spectacle as an existential battle against our scarz.

WorldForgot

WorldForgot