Christina Ricci

Started by ono, September 25, 2004, 12:39:06 AM

ono

Seven years ago (circa The Ice Storm and Buffalo '66), if I there was a Xixax, and I was posting on it, I'd make a thread about Christina Ricci instead of Scarlett Johansson.  That's not to say Ricci doesn't deserve it.  She's grown up and surpassed the label of "it girl" (not that she ever really was) and become a legitimate actress.

Anyway, I saw Pumpkin tonight, and I'm both surprised and not that it hasn't been mentioned here yet.  It's a pretty horrible film, but the three people I saw it with seemed to love it.  It's about a sorority girl who falls for a mentally/physically handicapped guy and the chaos in her life that ensues.  The writing is where the film fails.  Just pathetic.  They tried to go for some sort of indictment of the life of the Greek, and how people view the handicapped.  It didn't work.  It tried to be hyperbolic, and just ended up grating on my nerves.  The score was probably the worst of this, as was the editing.

This is not to dump on Ricci (or Coppola, for that matter, as his studio produced this), but just to generate some discussion.  Pumpkin doesn't merit its own thread, but Ricci does, for her great performances in The Ice Storm and Buffalo '66, among others.  She seems to choose good people to work with, so it's surprising that these are the only two films I can pick out of hers that are worth noting.  Though I did like her when she was on Ally McBeal.

Ghostboy

I thought Pumpkin was great. A little bit too long, but thouroughly enjoyable. What I got from it was that everyone involved really didn't give a fuck about any of the characters and only pretended to in order to mislead the audience. I didn't think there was any real message to it...it was sort of a middle finger to 'sensitive' films about mentally challenged people. You're right about it being hyperbolic, though. The best part was the automobile accident. Brilliant.

Anyway, I used to love Ricci but I haven't been impressed by much of what she's done lately. Chloe Sevigny has sort of superceded her as the go-to girl for smart indiewood pictures.

Oh wait, I do remember liking her in Anything Else.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ono.She seems to choose good people to work with, so it's surprising that these are the only two films I can pick out of hers that are worth noting.

Plus, she was the perfect Wednesday for "The Addams Family" movies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatball

This new magazine called Giant has an interview with her, and some pretty nice photos too.

foray

admin edit: spoils for Pumpkin

I really dug Pumpkin because I couldn't decide whether it was a satire or I was just being rude. This film shows Ricci at her comic best, imo. One of the best lines was "He's... retarded!" I also liked that the so-called bad jock turned out to be a handicap nice guy at the end as well. Great fun.

foray
touch me i'm sick

Pubrick

admin edit: spoils for Pumpkin

Quote from: forayI also liked that the so-called bad jock turned out to be a handicap nice guy at the end as well. Great fun.
hey, thanks for the recommendation and instant spoiling of a movie no one will bother seeing now.
under the paving stones.

picolas

just admin edit: spoils for Pumpkin.

foray

You call that a spoil? Next time don't highlight it with a quote tag then.

foray
touch me i'm sick

Pubrick

Quote from: forayYou call that a spoil? Next time don't highlight it with a quote tag then.

foray
GT can u bang sum sense into this broad please. listen, if u say "i like how IN THE END" then it's a fucking spoiler, alrite? just label ur spoils next time, thanks.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: forayYou call that a spoil? Next time don't highlight it with a quote tag then.

foray
GT can u bang sum sense into this broad please. listen, if u say "i like how IN THE END" then it's a fucking spoiler, alrite? just label ur spoils next time, thanks.

Calm down, Pubrick. Like you said, no one going to see this movie anyways. She said it wasn't a spoiler and she's the only one in this situation who has seen it. in grave of the fireflies, they die at the end. is that necessarily a spoiler?

Pubrick

bros before hoes, man. :elitist:
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Granted, no one's going to see this movie who hasn't already, and the spoil wasn't quite on par with "Rosebud was his sled," but still, caution should be the policy at work.

Example:

SPOILER
I loved the part at the end when the credits started rolling.  I didn't see that coming.

I'd rather flag a thousand non-spoils than let one real one go unannounced.  Thomas Jefferson said that.  Look it up.
My house, my rules, my coffee

cine

ive seen the movie and yeah, that grave of the fireflies thing IS kind of a spoiler..  :yabbse-undecided:

pete

Quote from: polkabluesGranted, no one's going to see this movie who hasn't already, and the spoil wasn't quite on par with "Rosebud was his sled," but still, caution should be the policy at work.

Example:

SPOILER
I loved the part at the end when the credits started rolling.  I didn't see that coming.

I'd rather flag a thousand non-spoils than let one real one go unannounced.  Thomas Jefferson said that.  Look it up.

dude I've already done that joke twice.  and both times I was just ripping off You Don't Know Jack Movies (tm).

once

twice
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: petedude I've already done that joke twice.  and both times I was just ripping off You Don't Know Jack Movies (tm).

In that case, I'm just paying it forward.   :salute:
My house, my rules, my coffee