Stereotypes of a Film Snob

Started by Duck Sauce, March 25, 2003, 01:41:54 AM

Duck Sauce

I was talking to somebody today who got to see Adaptation and Dreamcatcher back to back, he went on to say that Adaptation was "a stupid thing to make a movie about" and I disagreed, in which he called me a film snob who just "likes movies just because nobody sees them"... So lets brainstorm, what are some common misconceptions of a film snob....

-Knows everything about every movie ever made and will point it out
-Anti-social
-Independent > mainstream always
-Aspiring to be Quentin Tarantino

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

a film lover is a great thing, a film snob is a pointless concept

i have run across so many and to me they do not look like they enjoy movies all that much. They kind of have that fake robotic thing to them, where they pass along shit they got from audio commentary's.
A film fanatic loves movies, all kinds. Tarantino is a example of someone who i would call a great example of what a film fanatic should be like, his tastes are all over the place, and he sticks up for films that a lot of people wouldn't . All the greats have eclectic tastes, look at PTA, he loves goddard and he loves happy Gilmore.

I dont like all the same films as him, but thats the point. We all shouldn't have the same exact lists , thats the problem i have with film snobs they all rattle off the same exact list of movies. Now sure they may be some films they pop up on everyones list ( goodfellas, spinal tap)  , but thats different then everyone having the same exact fucking list.

me i try and watch all kinds of different movies, and not just the ones that are deemed " worthy" by film snobs. That's dumb, i try and give a lot of different movies a shot, only because i fucking love movies.

here is a example of what i am talking about Two years ago my girlfriend dragged me to see this movie called " sugar and spice"

the commercials for this film made it look really stupid, but it turned out to be one of my favorite movies made in the past few years, no one i know has seen this movie, but its fucking great .

so anyway, i am impressed that this website is more open minded then other places.

Ghostboy

A film snob will hate you for not sharing their taste.

A film fanatic will simply look down on you with bemused pity. :wink:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Duck Sauce-Knows everything about every movie ever made and will point it out
-Anti-social
-Independent > mainstream always
-Aspiring to be Quentin Tarantino

But those are all true, aren't they?  :yabbse-undecided:

©brad

i thought film snobs were really social, hmm. I wouldn't want to hang out with anyone who only watched independent movies. It's a common misconception that if something is 'independent' its good, if it's mainstream it's 'bad.' There is a lotta good stuff that comes out of mainstream and a lot of bad independent stuff.

Pubrick

film snob = snob = asshole = anyone who is an asshole.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: cbrad4dThere is a lotta good stuff that comes out of mainstream and a lot of bad independent stuff.

But at least the goal of independent stuff is "to be good"...

polkablues

Film snob = someone who pretends to not like "Die Hard".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBut at least the goal of independent stuff is "to be good"...
How much do you want to bet Michael Bay and his fans think his movies are "good?"

Oh ma gah... I'm turning into an asshole.

polkablues

Yeah... I don't think anyone sets out saying, "Let's go make a really shitty movie that nobody will like!"
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ravi

Quote from: polkabluesYeah... I don't think anyone sets out saying, "Let's go make a really shitty movie that nobody will like!"

Of course not.  They say, "Let's go make a really shitty movie that everybody will like!"

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RaviOf course not.  They say, "Let's go make a really shitty movie that everybody will like!"

:yabbse-thumbup:

fulty

Quote from: RaviOf course not.  They say, "Let's go make a really shitty movie that......
will win 6 academy awards.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaviOf course not.  They say, "Let's go make a really shitty movie that everybody will like!"
siberia in da house!
under the paving stones.

ProgWRX

foreign movies > american movies

original versions ALWAYS > than american remakes (true on the most part, but not always, and there has to be an actual reason, other than just being the original and thats it)

those are other two i can think of...
-Carlos