TooL/A PERFECT CIRCLE

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 25, 2003, 10:17:49 PM

socketlevel

what has happened to TOOL...  i'm sick of this motif, that cover is the worst news possible.

time to try something new guys, you've become a carbon copy of yourself.
(And i have been a DIE HARD tool fan for over a decade and a half)

Opiate to undertow = pioneering differences

undertow to aenima = enlightening expericence

aenima to lateralus = slight departure, starting to get old

10,000 days = appears to be the same old shit.

The cover to that album has brought down my spirits for any hope on this album being good.  they've past their prime.  i know all the arguements against that POV but i don't care.  It seems like they're writing from their heads instead of their hearts now.  which happens so often in music and film.   math (which i love as an element of music) has taken over from any raw emotion.  they need to find that beautiful balance again.

go listen to the mars volta to get it back!

i'll buy it, but i'm expecting it to get old fast.  I listened to opiate till the day undertow came out.  then, i listened to undertow for five years till the next album album came out; on heavy rotation the whole time.  i listened to aemina for another 5.  then i listened to lateralus about 1.5 years and spent 3.5 with no TOOL in my life.  I expect to get sick of this after 6 months or so.  It's so sad considering TOOL shaped who i was in those formative years.

As much as it pains to say, out with the old, in with the new.

It's like that with most things,  time to just let go.  I should have seen it coming though.  It all started to fall apart with the piece of shit band A Perfect Circle.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm the total opposite of that ethos.

Opiate / Undertow were really boring to me.

AEnima was all right, had a few good songs.

Lateralus was amazing.  Not a bad song on it to me.

As they progressed they turned more technical and were still able to remain heavy and intricate.  Tool is a very unique sound, the "math" of it really adds to it.  They don't use old formulas, the way they work now is very original and unpredictable.  I'm quite excited for the new album.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: socketlevel on April 04, 2006, 03:48:48 PM
The cover to that album has brought down my spirits for any hope on this album being good.  they've past their prime.  i know all the arguements against that POV but i don't care.  It seems like they're writing from their heads instead of their hearts now.  which happens so often in music and film.   math (which i love as an element of music) has taken over from any raw emotion.  they need to find that beautiful balance again.

Just based on the cover alone you have doubts that it will be any good?  That's crazy. 
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

RegularKarate

Socketlevel is overreacting, but I agree with most of what he said (in a less extreme sense). 
Of course, basing the assumption that it sucks on the cover alone is ridiculous, but Lateralus was just Tool doing their best to stay Tool... just making what they felt would be expected... a disapointment.  Hopefully this one will be better.

Also, there just aren't that many people who were listening to Opiate before Undertow came out.

Gamblour.

Wait, on Lateralus, tracks like "Disposition" and "Reflection" were expected? Those tracks are trippy and haunting, not at all like their old stuff. There's supposed to be more like that on the new cd. I dunno how much of these "softer" tracks are affected by APC, but their could be a link there. In any case, they're aren't grimy like they used to be, but I think staying that way would be treading old ground.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on April 05, 2006, 07:50:09 AM
trippy
i couldn't read beyond this word. i hate it so much. wow. so much.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on April 05, 2006, 10:20:57 AM
trippy
Thank you.

and Gamblour, yes, those tracks weren't exactly the same as other Tool and I really like those songs too, but overall, the album is a step backward.
Even those songs are kind of like weaker versions of the Live Pushit, but that don't really go where they should.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 05, 2006, 02:28:09 PM
Even those songs are kind of like weaker versions of the Live Pushit, but that don't really go where they should.

Wait, are you saying you do or don't like the live version of Pushit? 

Your answer will completely affect the amount of future credence I can give to your opinions re: Tool.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: Pubrick on April 05, 2006, 10:20:57 AM
trippy

dude, whatever, it's a very cromulant word.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

Quote from: polkablues on April 05, 2006, 07:10:15 PM
Your answer will completely affect the amount of future credence I can give to your opinions re: Tool.

I love the live version of Pushit.  One of the best things they've done.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on April 05, 2006, 10:31:03 PM
Quote from: polkablues on April 05, 2006, 07:10:15 PM

I love the live version of Pushit.  One of the best things they've done.

Thank god.  I can keep respecting you.
My house, my rules, my coffee

i like the cover now, but man,  i don't think i'll bear seeing it in black t-shirts everywhere after it gets released. cannot wait for the leak.
context, context, context.

Gamblour.

Single in a week: "Vicarious"
WWPTAD?

I Don't Believe in Beatles

"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

RegularKarate

A: how has this not leaked yet?

B: I really like that clip, I obviously can't make a judgement based on 30 secs, but this could easily be a recovery from the misstep that was Lateralus (though the cover certainly suggests otherwise).