TooL/A PERFECT CIRCLE

Started by NEON MERCURY, June 25, 2003, 10:17:49 PM

RegularKarate

But i think maybe the "math" is blinding you a little.
Maynard was very seperated from Lateralus, he wrote some really intense and heady lyrics, but he didn't put his soul into it at all.  There's nothing that made me just say "wow" like with almost every track on Aenima.
At least on 10,000 days, he changes it up a little and you can hear the passion again instead of just "good singing".
The music is kind of the same thing on Lateralus, but I think that's because a lot of Tool's music plays off of Maynard's passion and if that's gone, the music is just following the map the notes have laid out.

Gamblour.

Ok, so now we've all had time to let it sink in. New thoughts?

Jambi is indeed the shit. The Pot is still the shit. The whole album is very suprising and pleasing.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

What songs on Lateralus don't sound like he put his all into it?  That album is full of energy and life, but also takes the route of taking a more technical stance.  I don't think they compromised anything and only gained by adding the intricate elements in Lateralus.  They kept their energy from past albums and poured it into an album such as Lateralus, with a more refined approach.  Tool was amazing because of their grit, but we're also shown that they don't rely on that raw sound, they can also dominate the hell out of complex syncopations (especially on 10,000 Days).

For me, it seems like Tool's albums have been on a steady incline (though I'm still not sure if I prefer 10,000 Days over Lateralus yet).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

yeah, the problem with that is that you're wrong

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'd expect a much more intelligent post from you, RK.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: Walrus on May 04, 2006, 12:43:00 AM

Just try and argue with his logic, though.  You can't do it!
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

Quote from: Walrus on May 04, 2006, 12:43:00 AM

haha, I was kidding.  I got through to that Hanso line and just hit submit because I decided that I've argued it to death and it's not like I'm going to change anyone's minds on it.

I'm right, you're wrong... that's just the end of it.

haha... see how I did it again?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, sir.

©brad

Quote from: Walrus on May 04, 2006, 03:35:25 PM
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree, sir.

why don't you respectfully let it go?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Gamblour.

So how bout this new album?  :yabbse-sad:

Lateralus had solid songs, artistically and technically and musically. BUT I think I'm starting to realize what RK is talking about. The lyrical content of the songs (and by extension Maynard's singing) is much broader and more grandiloquent than ever before, all about spiritual experiences and blah blah....my point is that the range of meaning in the songs is very limited and lacks the anger (which had much passion behind it) found in the best of Tool's songs prior.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lateralus for many reasons, I'm only saying that after listening to the new album, I understand what RK is talking about. The depth and breadth of lyrical content on this album is really incredible. I still can't get over the sequence of Lipan Conjuring, Lost Keys, and Rosetta Stoned. It's such an inspired narrative (well maybe not, a guy does acid, thinks he's abducted and given knowledge to become a hero, but he forgets what it is....but it's in the way it's told). Equally Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days have that spiritual element from Lateralus, but feel very very personal (Judith Marie is Maynard's mother, so I've read...hence the APC song) and lacking that sanctimonious quality from Lateralus.

And the sheer ineloquence of The Pot amazes me.
WWPTAD?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Walrus on May 03, 2006, 02:20:46 AM
That album is full of energy and life, but also takes the route of taking a more technical stance.  I don't think they compromised anything and only gained by adding the intricate elements in Lateralus.  They kept their energy from past albums and poured it into an album such as Lateralus, with a more refined approach.  Tool was amazing because of their grit, but we're also shown that they don't rely on that raw sound, they can also dominate the hell out of complex syncopations (especially on 10,000 Days).

For me, it seems like Tool's albums have been on a steady incline (though I'm still not sure if I prefer 10,000 Days over Lateralus yet).

for those who dissagre w/what walrus posted..then you have no clue about music...the fact that lateralus is a much better album than aenima shouldnt be hard for one to understand...anyone who can hammer out the riff to back in black on air guitar should be adept at understanding this...

think w/ me a bit...and listen to the albums chronologically...[lets not do 10,000 days yet..its new]....but if you cannot say that they have improved in every concept that makes a band great from opiate to lateralus...then you clearly dont get it...i think the whole lateralus vs. aenima battle boils down to one thing..the people who prefer aenima more must know that lyrically and musically lateralus is the more superior album...but you guys just "like" aenima more...which brings us to to the old adage:  just b/c you like something more doesnt mean its better

polkablues

Quote from: pyramid machine on May 10, 2006, 08:03:40 PM
i think the whole lateralus vs. aenima battle boils down to one thing..the people who prefer aenima more must know that lyrically and musically lateralus is the more superior album...but you guys just "like" aenima more...which brings us to to the old adage:  just b/c you like something more doesnt mean its better

Which brings us to another old adage: just because you think something doesn't made it correct.

Lyrically, you're flat-out wrong.  Aenima is a whole world beyond Lateralus in terms of lyrics.  Musically, you could be right, if and only if you conflate the term "more complex" with "superior".  Coheed & Cambria play music that's more complex than the Beatles, but that doesn't make them a better band than the Beatles.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

It's pretty predictable that Neon would come in here and make close-minded statements about the lesser album like that, but I'll go ahead and bite.

Music, I'm not gonna argue, if you can't understand that Lateralus and beyond is just cleaner and more machine-like than Aenima there's nothing I can do to change that, but the lyrics are so CLEARLY better on Aenima.  Almost every song on that album has layer upon layer of meaning while Lateralus is just spouting off fun stuff to say that fits what Tool has always sung about, but in a more plain and obvious fashion.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Now it seems the argument is getting a little more pinpointed.  Rather than arguing albums holistically, we see we've been arguing using different rubrics entirely.  The lyrics on Lateralus aren't as amazing as on Aenima, I would agree with that.  However, the musical talent, the synergy of the band, is clearly getting better and better.  As a band they're growing tighter, which is amazing to see since they're all incredible separately. 

So maybe Tool is losing their steam with lyrics and gaining more of a richer musical sound, I don't think that's any reason why their newer stuff is in any way bad. I can't say Tool has really let me down or released anything lackluster.  Sometimes they just rock harder in certain aspects than others.