PDL DVD cover

Started by Dendy, April 03, 2003, 12:48:58 AM

Dendy

What does everybody think?

Greg made it sound like there was a fairly negative response for it.

Personally I think it's neat.  Simple. Fairly original. It accentuates Sandler's ear, which is important.  Kind of interesting lighting (darkened face, maybe symbolic of his character).

At least its not the theatrical poster.
"The Dude Abides"

oakmanc234

I'm not so sure about this one. It strongly points out the fact that it is the Adam Sandler art-house picture and it does put emphasis on the now classic character, Barry Egan (odd and shady businessman) but otherwise, I'm not too keen. Yes, it's just a cover but like I said in another thread, I'd rather it be the 'walking hand-in-hand' pic.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

aurora

Its alright

I would have liked a jeremy blake collage or something though =)

Or... a cool shot of a Hawaii sunset or something... something more 'Punch-Drunk'

MacGuffin

Quote from: DionySuSI would have liked a jeremy blackman blake collage or something though =)

Unless you did mean our own beloved member.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

i don't see how that's gonna be on the front and the heart thing on the back, that's gonna be some weird contrasting. I dunno, this cover is okay but why use it when u have that other cool one? They should just put it on the DVD booklet.

snaporaz

Quote from: DendyWhat does everybody think?

Greg made it sound like there was a fairly negative response for it.

Personally I think it's neat.  Simple. Fairly original. It accentuates Sandler's ear, which is important.  Kind of interesting lighting (darkened face, maybe symbolic of his character).

At least its not the theatrical poster.

i think the dvd cover sucks.

and anyways...why is his ear important? the whole phone thing?

budgie

I like the front but only in conjunction with the back. It would be wonderful if Jeremy Blake's artwork was on the inside.

Or Jeremy Blackman's.

SoNowThen

LOVE the cover. Love it. Absolutely perfect.

And I find it kind of odd that everybody feels the need to defend the "no commentary" thing, yet rag on the cover. Having no commentary fucking sucks, regardless of who's choice it was, because it never distracts from the movie, it only adds to it. Aaaarggh. I needed to vent about that.

And the back cover rocks too!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Hey, isn't this going to be a slipcase release? Maybe the slipcase will have a different cover...or vice versa.

Gold Trumpet

perfect cover. theatrical release cover suggested too much of a pure 1930s musical romance that didn't match up well with the feeling of the film. This cover, the oddness of feeling to looking at adam sandler in such way, provides that feeling of the movie and also, is unassuming of everything there is to discover in the movie. love love the cover.

~rougerum

Link

The back "blossoms and blood" thing is really really cool if you ask me, I was feelin' it.

Then i see what's now the new front cover, instead of the movie poster.  I don't know how to describe how stupid they make Sandler, Anderson, and the movie look with this PIECE OF CRAP PICTURE.  It looks SO WANNABE.  Something a kid at school would do, I wanna barf and laugh at the same time at how stupid this Genius is!  Why not do something like this (as someone else suggested):  http://www.ptanderson.com/featurefilms/images/love/ads/walk.jpg

I was praying that it was a late April Fool's Joke, cuz man, I'm gonna be ashamed to have that piece of crap looking thing in my DVD collection.  You have cool stuff like the Lord of the Rings package, the Boogie Nights cartoon thing, Hard Eight cover, then you have FREAKIN ADAM SANDLER'S RETARDED LOOKING MISSHAPEN HEAD crowding my shelf.  NO!

hehehe, I crack myself up.  I dunno.  As someone else pointed out, I want something more "punch-drunk," not a goofy looking Sandler just staring at nothing.  I don't think it captures the feel of the movie at all.  I think it captures a LITTLE of the old musical feel, but I don't think that fits the style of the film, or of Blake's artwork, at all, which is what Anderson wanted the DVD experience to be like.

Ernie

Quote from: DionySuSIts alright

I would have liked a jeremy blackman collage or something though =)

Or... a cool shot of a Hawaii sunset or something... something more 'Punch-Drunk'

That's what I was hoping. I really hate this one...it's waaaay too bland (a fucking white background!). The DVD better be good, this is starting to really suck again...PTA really is a human being! DAMMIT!  :cry:

Seriously though, I'd definitely prefer the kissing one. But I do agree that it should be different than the theatrical release poster. I don't see why it couldn't be more colorful and weird and cool.

THC

I think Ghostboy makes an interesting point.  You never know what may happen.  There could be a really cool slipcase arround it and then it would make more sense.  Or it could be the opposite.  Remember the Royal Tenenbaums criterion?  Awesome cover, shitty slipcase.

It could go either way.

be patient

-THC
"Come on Bart, we're going to see an R rated movie.  It's called Barton Fink."

tpfkabi

that's very interesting. it looks very criterion to me......i think the cover should be a shot of barry looking at the piano in the street. the shot in the film where barry is framed in the opening of the gate with the piano right in front........i think that would symbolize everything......the oddness of the film....and the piano is of course a symbol of Lena or their love
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ernie

Quote from: bigideasthat's very interesting. it looks very criterion to me......i think the cover should be a shot of barry looking at the piano in the street. the shot in the film where barry is framed in the opening of the gate with the piano right in front........i think that would symbolize everything......the oddness of the film....and the piano is of course a symbol of Lena or their love

That would be very nice. That I would love. Maybe a little Jeremy Blakeness thrown in their too...a la the scene where Barry picks up the phone and asks to be connected to "matress man". Where the color doesn't completely swipe out everything...the image is just made as a rainbow. That would be so much better.