kimberly peirce lecture.

Started by pookiethecat, October 09, 2003, 04:16:36 PM

pookiethecat

one of the most insightful, informative, thoroughly engaging lectures about film i've seen.

http://www.foxsearchlight.com/lab/lectures/index_peirce.html
i wanna lick 'em.

Gold Trumpet

My computer is crappy so I can't really watch it. Maybe I missed it, but is there a transcript on the site at all? I'd love to see her thoughts.

~rougerum

luctruff

when the hell is she going to make another film?  sorry, i didnt' follow the link because of the last post, but maybe someone has some insight??
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

MacGuffin

Quote from: luctruffwhen the hell is she going to make another film?  sorry, i didnt' follow the link because of the last post, but maybe someone has some insight??

Follow the highlights:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=71146&highlight=peirce#71146
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

luctruff

"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

pookiethecat

there isn't a transcript but here's a summary.

peirce discusses, in an engaging, pta-ish rapid hyper-intellectual way, how she conceived the story of boys don't cry, shot it, and distributed it.  she uncovers the truths on how to tell a good story. what she says has pertinence to any artist interested in telling a good story.

she talks about how you can reveal something quite personal while maintaining narrative objectivity. she explains her own identity.  and how the pursuit of (gender,sexual) identity is her personal myth.  so boys don't cry and probably every other movie she makes (no matter what the objective subject matter) will be centered on this myth.

she talks about how she loves movies about American heroes and recalls lots of 70's male-hero-driven movies as her inspiration (coolhand luke, for example). she quotes Aristotle.  But she's really not pretentious about her extensive knowledge and she makes the audience laugh.  

she reveals that boys don't cry was shot in 30 days while having to deal with the film company breathing down her neck.  pretty remarkable for a movie i consider to be a fine piece of filmmaking.  Boys Don't Cry stands by itself but her lecture really helps illustrate how good and vital this movie (and she as a director) are.

30 tokens in chuck-e-cheese money if you can guess who my avatar is.
i wanna lick 'em.

Teen Wolf

Uh, that'd be sweet if her and Sofia Coppola french kissed.

Seriously, though -- she came off as really intelligent. I'll be anxiously awaiting whatever she decides to do next. Boys Don't Cry was quite an impressive debut...

Gold Trumpet

Thanks for summary. Also, should someone tell her that Cool Hand Luke wasn't made in the 70s?

Quote30 tokens in chuck-e-cheese money if you can guess who my avatar is.

Kimberly Pierce?

~rougerum

pookiethecat

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThanks for summary. Also, should someone tell her that Cool Hand Luke wasn't made in the 70s?

that's my gaff then in the summary.   :oops:  i know she mentioned movies from the 70's with american antiheroes and i know she mentioned coolhand luke; chances are, they're not in direct correlation.  but not knowing much about coolhand luke, i interpreted them as being so.
i wanna lick 'em.

MacGuffin

Breaking the 'Ice': Theron, Peirce team
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Oscar winner Charlize Theron is teaming with "Boys Don't Cry" helmer Kimberly Peirce on an adaptation of Mark Richard's novel "The Ice at the Bottom of the World."

At last month's Festival de Cannes, the actress confirmed that she and Peirce have been collaborating on the indie project which she said they are hoping to shoot sometime toward the fall of 2005. First, Theron will topline the Karyn Kusama-directed "Aeon Flux" for Paramount Pictures and producer Gale Ann Hurd followed by the Niki Caro-directed "Class Action" for Warner Bros. Pictures. She's also attached to star in and produce the graphic novel-based "Jinx" at Universal Pictures.

Described as a passion project for both Theron and Peirce, "Ice" is a collection of 10 short stories. Richard's novel carries a running theme of love and loss and birth and death and is primarily set in the American South, centering on a cross-section of redneck characters. It's unclear what story line Richard followed in adapting his own novel for the big screen.

Theron has been developing "Ice" at her production company, D and D Films, named for her dogs Denver and Delilah. She is producing along with her partner Meagan Riley-Grant. Peirce would likely receive some producer credit as well. Theron said that Newmarket Films -- which distributed her Oscar-winning performance in Patty Jenkins' "Monster" -- is expected to distribute and possibly finance.

I miss Pookie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Kimberly Peirce Helming Film on Spy Eli Cohen
Source: Variety

Boys Don't Cry writer/director Kimberly Peirce will direct a film about the legendary Israeli spy Eli Cohen for Columbia Pictures, reports Variety. Andrew Davies (the "Bridget Jones" series) is writing the film's script.

Cohen was an Israeli spy who infiltrated the Syrian government. He was discovered and hanged in 1965, but the information he provided was largely responsible for Israel's capture of the Golan Heights in 1967.

The film will focus on Cohen's double life as a businessman/spy, spouse/lover as well as someone who knew the Koran as well as the Talmud.

Skeleton FilmWorks

supremelegend

...it's one of the schoolkids at the end of Roger Dodger...

supremelegend

MacGuffin

Kimberly Peirce Looks Towards Space For Arthur C. Clarke's 'Childhood'
Source: MTV

Mankind is visited by aliens who help end wars, prolong life, and generally foster happiness for all humanity. Their appearance brings forth a new age in human evolution, as children born after their arrival begin to exhibit signs of telekinesis and telepathy. They help usher in nothing short of a glorious utopia on Earth.

So where's the conflict? For "Childhood's End," a classic work by Arthur C. Clarke that ranks among the very best science-fiction of the century, the devil is in the details — literally — since the alien visitors look exactly like Satan. That's armored, red hide, hoofs, horns, the whole nine.

It's a jarring mental image, that humanity's salvation will come on the wings of its worst fears, but one that "Stop-Loss" director Kimberly Peirce is dying to bring to the big screen.

"I love 'Childhood's End.' That's a phenomenal book," she enthused. "We have a draft of that and we'll see if Universal wants to make it."

But the movie is not just a think-piece, Peirce reminded. While the book itself deals with "BIG" ideas, it's also got its fair share of whiz-bang, oohs and ahhs, as well, including, but not limited to, voyages through space and a trip to the aliens' planet.

"If you're going to launch something that big you need a big movie star. It's probably not less than a 70 million dollar movie," Peirce commented. "You go to that movie with a certain appetite for spectacle."

In the meantime, Peirce has her sights on another project...one a little closer to home.

"There's a dark, sexual story that I'm writing and there's also one set in New Orleans which is about when the authority meets the community on the lawless streets," she revealed of as yet untitled pics. "It's the rise of a great American gangster. It's based on some real stories I've been reading about. It's a combination of a few stories."

Skeleton FilmWorks