Are we nerds?

Started by Sigur Rós, May 12, 2003, 03:06:46 PM

Ernie

Yeah, I'm going to say the same as cecil. I'm not smart enough to be a conventional nerd with the science and all that, I'm definitely a film nerd/geek. Film is the only thing I get REALLY geeky about...with all my other interests, I'm just passionate.

I'm not unsociable either, I'm just shy.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: ebeamanI'm not unsociable either, I'm just shy.

I like people. I just don't like them "live". They are better when they are on a bigscreen.

BonBon85

I've been labled a film nerd by my friends simply because I used the term cinematography once. I'm ok with the title.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: BonBon85I've been labled a film nerd by my friends simply because I used the term cinematography once. I'm ok with the title.

Hehe, I've heard that one too!

godardian

Milhouse: "I'm not a nerd, Bart! ......nerds are smart."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

brockly

Hm, well, I just consider myself as someone who loves to discuss PTA  :-D and other fine directors and movies, scene as most of my friends are obsessed with films like Matrix :x  But yeah, I guess on the boards we all are kinda nerds

Xixax

I will make a public confession.

Last weekend, I watched Jay and Silent Bob.

...And I actually liked it...

One thing that occurred to me as they surfed Movie Poop Shoot Dot Com was that I have created a poop shoot of my own.

And pretty soon, A heroin addict and a rotund PTA hater are going to show up at our door and kick our asses.

I hate to admit it after all the shit that went down with Kevin Smith and PTA, but there is an awful lot of truth in Jay and Silent Bob. Painful truth.

Recommended viewing for all Xixaxies.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

bonanzataz

nothing to be ashamed of, i love J&SBSB. And I'm also a computer messageboard nerd. See, you can tell who's a computer message board nerd if Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back is J&SBSB, or if Punch Drunk Love is PDL or things like such.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Recce

Well, although the stereotype affiliated with nerds is usually science and stuff, I think I'm a nerd. Everytime I talk to someone about films or digital technology or something, I see the awkwardness rise as they desperately try to end the conversation. I'm having a hell of a time talking, but all they want to do is get away from me. I think that definetely qualifies me as a nerd. Plus I have absolutely no social life to speak of, so...
Although, I think I agree with Cecil about the nerd/geek difference. I think I'm more of a geek. But that can be cool, right?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Cecil

Quote from: RecceEverytime I talk to someone about films or digital technology or something, I see the awkwardness rise as they desperately try to end the conversation. I'm having a hell of a time talking, but all they want to do is get away from me.

maybe youre just boring. or smell bad

godardian

Ugh. I hate Jay and Silent Bob the very most out of all of Kevin Smith's films. It makes Chasing Amy look like Bergman. It just epitomizes everything I can't stand about him. Smugness disguised as self-deprecation, and a level of disingenuousness and cynical pseudo-populism that would make Eddie Vedder himself blush. Any South Park episode does what Smith tries to do in that film with 10 times the laughs and more succinctly, too.

Everyone should see it to form their own opinion, but please- I'm asking you, lord- let them not see "painful truth" in it?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Ghostboy

Hmmm. I loved Jay And Silent Bob. I guess I was really in the right mood when I saw it.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyHmmm. I loved Jay And Silent Bob. I guess I was really in the right mood when I saw it.

It just made me want to scurry home and watch Bigger, Longer, and Uncut again, just to remind myself I did have a sense of humor and my reasons for hating Jay weren't because of the "what" (the jokes, the content) but "the how" (the smugness, the sloppiness and, for a comedy, the rather grim and lifeless tone).