Revenge of the Turds - New Film

Started by md, December 06, 2005, 12:25:00 PM

md

New Short Film called ROTT: Revenge of the Turds.  Made it for my school class.  I enjoy it alot, I hope you do too! http://www.rit.edu/~msd6154/media/ROTT.html or    (Right Click Save as 87mb)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This last semester of school, we had to shoot a couple of 16mm films on a bolex h16 and then cut with it on a flat bed.  Our first assignment was to shoot with one 100 foot roll of Kodak Plus-X Reversal Film stock.

I was downtown filming, and i happen to see some local skaters i knew so the b roll footage is

The short i was filming is called
(actually its not a short but really an in camera edit exercise - aka no real story)

i produced a 5 minute short ill post up later. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Anonymous Joe

JG

Ghostboy

The B roll footage is better than the actual short!

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gamblour.

Quote from: bonanzataz on December 06, 2005, 02:48:55 PM
Quote from: Ghostboy on December 06, 2005, 02:29:25 PM
The B roll footage is better than the actual short!

agreed.

Double agreed. that music is awesome, the images are pretty raw, but it proves many points I've had about film in general. It appeals to the whole urban, black and white film thing. You should turn that in instead.
WWPTAD?

md

anyways check out the 5 minute short I shot called (right click save as sice its like 45 mb)

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Gamblour.

Quote from: md on December 06, 2005, 05:16:11 PM"golden hour"

If you mean like while the sun is down, but there's still light (ie no shadows), then check out Days of Heaven. Considered one of most beautifully shot films ever.
WWPTAD?

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

md

thanks! That means alot!  Yeah, I attend RIT, and am in their film program.  You live in upstate ny?

Reinhold

i'm from brockport.  i lived in the fingerlakes for a while before moving to michigan, and now i'm downstate at purchase.

my dad went to RIT 30 years ago (criminal justice); my ex is a flim major there right now. i haven't been to the campus in a few years, but i recognized the background of the shot.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

NOTE: The first post was edited today by "md" to include a new short film.  Just pointing that out, because it's hard to catch otherwise.  And to clarify, this new movie is shot on video, not on film, which is what the thread was originally started for.

It's not bad.  I don't know how much I should go into the things that could be improved technically, since md may very well be aware of those.  Overall it's pretty watchable (but improveable) from a technical standpoint, though not necessarily stylistically interesting.  If judged for what it is--an early film from someone who is still finding their way--it's pretty solid, I'd say.

For me, I guess the biggest problem is that it's about a white, chubby bald guy who raps and talks like he's black, which some will find funnier than others (it's not terribly funny to me), but everyone has already seen before.  I will say that the white, chubby bald guy exudes a very interesting charisma, which is the main strength of the film, for me.  The bald guy's friend, DTrain, is a lot less interesting, and the actor is not particularly good.  A bit annoying, actually.  Reminds me a little of that main guy from Clerks.

It is worth watching, though, despite the criticisms I've given.  I found it entertaining, though not laugh-out-loud funny.  I did smile a lot while watching it.  It's got that light absurd comedy throughout that keeps it, like I said, pretty watchable.

ProgWRX

Hi there, id love to watch but for some reason, when i try to download any of your files, i get cut off midway. I thought it was on my end but i tried downloading some other movie and it went fine  :doh:
-Carlos