Magic Mike XXL³
The Tribe⁴
Roar⁵
Hot Pursuit⁶
Maps to the Stars⁷
Dope⁸
The Last Rescue⁹
Jauja¹⁰

¹ This is the most Almodóvarian Hollywood movie I've seen since ever, and in my imaginary Chill Earth this was a big deal
² Saw this in January and I simply hope each year of my life begins in such a way
³ Why am I explaining this stuff? It must be because I need friends in this world. The riches of Magic Mike XXL are manifest and manifold and man
⁴ Uses all these wonderful realistic cinematic textures to create an experiential fantasy landscape for deaf people \m/
⁵ This is important to the world and the world needs Drafthouse: science
⁶ Saw this as a hop with Furious 7 and that's called "living the dream"
⁷ Cronenberg's Body Horror as Emotion Horror and Bruce Wagner gets the bad feelings good
⁸ My memories of this movie remind me of my teenage memories
⁹+¹⁰ Well I just got to see them to figure things out

And I'm forgetting some
and I encourage people to bond together over Mad Max.

max from fearless

Bitter Lake by Adam Curtis (the ODB of editing and sound design with the political chops of P.E)

The Falling by Carol Morley (the Nicki Minaj of this film shiiiiiiiiiiiit)

Thou Wast Mild and Lovely by Jospehine Decker (the child of Lynch, Campion and Malick)

Alright music promo by Kendrick Lamar/Colin Tilley & The Little Homies (the golden age of promos is upon us)

Sorry jenks, I can't write a summary right now, but I just wanna say in the spirit of 2015: PLEASE SEE, SUPPORT AND BOND OVER THESE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, Mad Max still needs to be re-visited and loved up and bonded over.

Let's celebrate movies!

jenkins

:) and by accident we might celebrate each other

made this topic to remind myself about 2015 movies, then so like while emptying out my memory bank and whatnot, i left out Tangerine, which is, there we go, an example of a list blunder and the most recent movie i've seen. point is: Tangerine

glad you mentioned Lamar and here's the short I was previously inches from mentioning:

samsong

mad max: fury road
carol/the duke of burgundy
the lobster
phoenix
inside out
what we do in the shadows
the hateful eight
blackhat
creed/magic mike xxl
bridge of spies

wilder

Phoenix
The Jinx
45 Years
The Lobster
Carol
Bridge of Spies
Blind
While We're Young
Inside Out
Mistress America
Chronic
James White
The Smell of Us
Blackhat
A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting On Existence

cronopio 2

i've seen very few movies these past few years. so far, Dior & I is the only one that i've loved this year, but officially that's a 2014 release.

i loved Far From The Madding Crowd.

i enjoyed mad max when i saw it, urged everyone to see it, but forgot about it very little afterwards.

i am very excited about Love and The Hateful 8.

Ghostboy

MAD MAX
HARD TO BE A GOD
and THE WITCH, but that just got moved to next year so it doesn't really count anymore.

jenkins

having perhaps the most "normal person movie year" i've had in a stretch. i don't expect to attend any festival and at the year's end what movies i'll call my favorite will be from a small pool of like thirty or so movies from the year.

today's event was sponsored by Ghostboy, who was special thanked in one and extra special thanked in another

i saw The Diary of a Teenage Girl
and i saw Digging for Fire

oh i still love movies, absolutely. took me one trip back to theater and two recent movies

The Diary of a Teenage Girl in particular overlaps with many of my recent creative interests to almost an absurd degree. i'd be worried if i wasn't delighted. cinema woven around a sassy teenage character, here's how it looks. it looks fucking wonderful. Bel Powley owns the movie, she owns it hard, and i want to like send thank you cards to the entire cast and crew for how they portrayed life's textures.

Digging for Fire, shot on 35mm, has maybe the best camera and music work in any of Swanberg's movies. not sure because who remembers his movies well? so during this one I fell asleep, by accident, not sure for how long but between Rosemarie DeWitt hanging with her parents and Orlando Bloom in a bathroom with Anna Kendrick stitching his face. it is like a Swanberg movie, but it is better, i think. the theme of this movie makes me less worried about the world. Jude Swanberg is back in action and i for one am looking forward to the development of Jude as a person. tickled about his development, i'd say. there are so many bigname actors it's tricky not to envy Swanberg, who brings in the bignames to play normal people in realistic lives. talking about the characters would be talking about the movie.

jenkins

^this movie is about penis and emotional comfort. Adam Scott and Jason Schwartzman both wear fake penises and dance around with them. It's a crucial and pivotal plot device. my friend said he'd give the movie a 3/10 but also said he thinks ten years from now this movie will remembered as the days of fake penises. watching this movie won't make you like movies more, it'll make you think life is weird and why'd this movie get made. Mildly recommended for such reason.

jenkins

it was ridiculous when before yesterday i hadn't yet watched Bujalski's Results.

the accruing dramatics of Results i find highly impressive. Bujalski continues to do things that only Bujalski does. notice here how i don't compare him with another artist that i'd guess you already like in order to seduce you into liking this movie as much as i did. jk i'll do that now: Results builds its narrative complexity parallel to its imperfect characters in a Todd Solondz way. there were perhaps deliberate references to the Solondz atmosphere.

except Bujalski isn't as weird as Solondz and his characters aren't either. and i think Results feels like bullshit some times, which is different than how Bujalski's movies are known to feel. sometimes there's bad acting/direction, especially at the beginning, when i was being hard on the movie, and when there was that fucking awful sequence about how Kevin Corrigan is a depressed newly rich person who can't figure out to eat pizza with other people. **attention all creative people** there's not a depressed person on the entire fucking planet who wants to see on screen what it feels like to feel depressed, so please stop that or if you don't whatever, our depression is autonomous, but you keep fucking up your shit.

after that Corrigan explains to Cobie Smulders what we watched and i liked the movie better. in terms of things Bujalski does that other people don't do, the character Smulders plays is well-crafted and dazzling displays the power of a young female. she owns a table at one point, then next they go eat and she owns another table over a check dispute. but also her flaws are perspective in a crisp way.

plus i haven't even mentioned how wonderful Guy Pierce is with his Australian accent. five times i thought about how i wanted to marry him and make my life better. his character represents that within the movie.

plus other things i forgot to mention and better explanations of things i did. Results helped me remember why i like movies.

Alexandro

Some of these are actually 2014 but I saw them in 2015...

maps to the stars
locke
foxcatcher
spongebob squarepants movie 2
force majeure
the babadook
hard to be a god
inherent vice
a most violent year
mr. turner
going clear
the jinx
a girl walks home alone at night
jauja

jenkins

Sight & Sound Top 20 Films Of 2015

1. The Assassin
2. Carol
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Arabian Nights
5. Cemetery Of Splendour
6. No Home Movies
7. 45 Years
8. Son Of Saul
9. Amy (tie)
9. Inherent Vice (tie)
11. Anomalisa
11. It Follows (tie)
13. Phoenix
14. Girlhood (tie)
14. Hard To Be A God (tie)
14. Inside Out (tie)
14. Tangerine (tie)
14. Taxi Tehran (tie)
19. Horse Money (tie)
19. The Look Of Silence(tie)

Cahiers du cinéma's Top 10 Films

1. Mia Madre (Nanni Moretti)
2. Cemetery of Splendour (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
3. In the Shadow of Women (Philippe Garrel)
4. The Smell of Us (Larry Clark)
5. Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller)
***6. Jauja (Lisandro Alonso)***
7. Inherent Vice (Paul Thomas Anderson)
8. Arabian Nights (Miguel Gomes)
9. The Summer of Sangaile (Alante Kavaite)
10. Journey to the Shore (Kiyoshi Kurosawa)

JG

trying to collect my thoughts and will edit as december rolls on:

a poem a is a naked person (1973)
losing ground (1981)
fastbreak (1978)
magic mike xxl
the mend
mad max: fury road
sicario
heaven knows what
mistress america
creed
carol
in jackson heights
clouds of sils maria
star wars: the force awakens
chi-raq
l for leisure
the assassin
it follows
results
spotlight
a pigeon sat on a stoop bench contemplating existence
arabian nights
the revenant
tired moonlight
journey to the shore (16?)
the visit
my golden days (16?)
welcome to new york
the gift
stinking heaven
jauja
ex-machina
phoenix
aloha
ricky and the flash
inside out
depalma
junun
love & mercy
fast 7
the big short
the wolfpack
bridge of spies
the end of the tour
entourage
blackhat

movies i didn't like
queen of earth
entertainment
the martian
hateful 8
kumiko the treasure hunter
jurassic world
black mass

jenkins

John Waters <3

1 HELMUT BERGER, ACTOR (Andreas Horvath) Maybe the best motion picture of the year is also the worst? One-time dreamboat movie star and lover of Visconti, Helmut Berger, now seventy-one and sometimes looking like Marguerite Duras, rants and raves in his ramshackle apartment while the maid dishes the dirt about his sad life. The rules of documentary access are permanently fractured here when our featured attraction takes off all his clothes on camera, masturbates, and actually ejaculates. The Damned, indeed.

2 CINDERELLA (Kenneth Branagh) Yes, you heard me, Cinderella. I fucking love this Disney film.

3 THE FORBIDDEN ROOM (Guy Maddin and Evan Johnson) The most insanely inventive, hilariously funny faux-silent movie of all time, with sound design that should win the Oscar.

4 TOM AT THE FARM (Xavier Dolan) A Genet-like love story between a smart-ass hipster and his dead boyfriend's domineering and dangerously closeted brother who once ripped the mouth off of a man who cruised his sibling. I thought it was sexy.

5 MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (George Miller) Big-budget tentpole movies can be art, too, and this ultimate nonstop demolition derby is downright insane from the moment it takes off.

6 CAROL (Todd Haynes) Maybe the only way to be transgressive these days is to be shockingly tasteful. This Lana Turner–meets–Audrey Hepburn lipstick-lesbian melodrama is so old-fashioned I felt like I was one year old after watching it. That's almost reborn.

7 THE DIARY OF A TEENAGE GIRL (Marielle Heller) A powerful, realistic, and amazingly well-acted comedy about sex between adults and teens that isn't creepy but authentic, ballsy, and totally unpredictable.

8 TANGERINE (Sean Baker) Last Exit to Los Angeles. A beautifully shot underground transgender adventure story that's worth seeing for the scary extras alone.

9 FLY COLT FLY: LEGEND OF THE BAREFOOT BANDIT (Adam Gray and Andrew Gray) A true-crime documentary that moves like the thief in the night the teenage "Barefoot Bandit" really was. Using animation, news footage, and realistic reenactments (you even get to see him wiggle his toes), Fly Colt Fly will make you understand why this plane-stealing kid became a national folk hero.

10 LOVE (Gaspar Noé) The first Official Selection of the Cannes Film Festival to show hard-core heterosexual rimming—in 3-D, no less. Thank God for Gaspar Noé.

http://artforum.com/inprint/issue=201510&id=56221