CRASH

Started by Finn, April 20, 2005, 05:02:29 PM

SHAFTR

Quote from: RedVines
I must be as pompous as 80% of America since most people think it's a great film with the small exception of the XIXAX group. Hell, it's at #58 on IMDB's top 250 movies.

about 130 spots above Magnolia, I must have my priorities screwed up.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Garam

Oh yeah, i just love the IMDb list.

FUCK. That just makes me angry right there.

Anyway, Crash. Saw it, and neither liked it or hated it. It was just mediocre. I never want to see it again and it made no kind of impact on me.

Gamblour.

Yeah I mean, why is Big Lebowski so high anyway?
WWPTAD?

The Red Vine

Quote from: GamblourYeah I mean, why is Big Lebowski so high anyway?

good question
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Garam

Pas

This didn't even get to theater here and there's only 5 copies in our biggest video-dvd-rental-thing ... there is hope in French Canada

modage

a little fuel for a fire from AICN...

CRASH- Hands down one of the best movies of 2005 thus far. In some ways it reminds me of MAGNOLIA. I wasn't a big fan of Haggis' work on THE MILLION DOLLAR BABY – it just felt like I'd seen better versions of it before. However, Haggis' work here is absolutely sterling.

it probably wasn't meant that way, but the way it's written implies that MDB wasn't as good as prior movies of that type whereas with Crash he has not seen better versions of movies of this kind (specifically Magnolia!)

i will be seeing this later this week...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

killafilm

Also from AICN...

Paul Haggis, eh? I know many of you genuinely adored MILLION DOLLAR BABY, and hooray for you. I still think his work plays like over-earnest TV, and all the good performances in the world don't save it for me. I haven't written a full review of this one, but maybe I will once I look over the Lions Gate disc. In the meantime, if you want to be lectured about how racism is bad, this is the film for you today.

- Moriarty

I'll probably check it out to, but right now i'm kinda ehhh about it.

Weak2ndAct

I love that fact that Haggis did a movie about racism, yet it's pretty racist itself (the stereotypes hurt my head).

cine

how is the movie racist itself?  theres no one like that anywhere?

SHAFTR

"guys, racism is bad"

I guess this was the tagline that took 2nd place.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I understand Crash touched some people, and for that I can like about it... it made a lot of people I know take a look at stereotypes and racism, but for me this movie was very trite and simplistic.  The idea was fine (you'd think blending Magnolia with Do The Right Thing would work) but the execution didn't give the viewer enough credit.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

kotte

Quote from: Walrusthe execution didn't give the viewer enough credit.

The problem with every fucking movie made today.

When I sit down to watch one of those I start to question myself.
"Am I? Am I an idiot??" (P, don't bother.)

Gamblour.

Quote from: Weak2ndActI love that fact that Haggis did a movie about racism, yet it's pretty racist itself (the stereotypes hurt my head).

I would only say the movie is racist against (as someone either here or elsewhere mentioned) Asian people, because they're the only group that gets made fun of with no real conflict or redemption. It IS horribly horribly stereotyped and that is what the fuck is wrong with this movie: you can't seriously address issues of race if you're dealing with overwritten stereotypes. People aren't racist so overtly, that's where racism is fucking scary is when it's covert and suggested, not in your fucking face like Matt Dillon or the car accident at the beginning. Hinting at inferiority is today's racism.
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

Today's undercover racism, and segregation, has just been widely exposed in the New Orleans situation.

Meanwhile, I like how, after writing the comment posted above, Moriarty at AICN went on to say that Fraggle Rock is a much better commentary on racial harmony than Crash could ever hope to be.