Eyes Wide Shut

Started by Teddy, April 27, 2003, 09:46:02 PM

modage

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: ©bradum... r u a chick?

you need to work on your pickup line

yeah, everyone knows you have sex FIRST! ask questions later.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Little Drummer Boy

Best Kubrick film ever! I love the scene in the mansion. It's just brilliant. The way Kubrick changed the man women roles. The man is dead and he's a genius which would make him a dead genius!
It's my cars birthday!

meatball

molly

Pubrick

Quote from: mollyhttp://www.cgjungpage.org/films/eyeswideshut_aanavi.html

an interesting review of Eyes Wide Shut
it is interesting, overall it was sort of ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

the dude reviewed it as a psychiatrist or sumthin, which is fine and worked excellent for his argument in most parts. what i don't understand is how he can say he was disappointed by FMJ. his page is called JUNG for christ sake, and he claims it had no psychological depth! it seems he himself has his eyes wide shut to the possibilities in FMJ. pun intended!

also, a minor point, he said the bit where Bill finds Alice asleep with the mask shows that she found it. when this is not exactly the case. the film enters total ambiguity at that point. there are other possible meanings for the mask on the bed, and Bill's reaction as well as Alice's can be interpreted differently depending on those meanings. either she found it, as he proposes, or sumone entered and left it there as a final warning to bill to shut the eff up about the orgy.

that's a minor point, this doctor dude reviewed it nicely. there's looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooots more still left to be said about the movie. does it hav to be written? if i was a better writer i'd fill up a few thousand pages with it. it just feels that u sell urself short when u write a meaning down. u lose a lot.
under the paving stones.

molly

Quotethere are other possible meanings for the mask on the bed, and Bill's reaction as well as Alice's can be interpreted differently depending on those meanings. either she found it, as he proposes, or sumone entered and left it there as a final warning to bill to shut the eff up about the orgy.

Maybe Alice did find it, but she couldn't know the meaning and origin of the mask - still, the fact that she found it might be a warning itself. On the other hand, a possibility for them to talk about what happened and bond. Bill brought the mask from that orgy - he went on the orgy, but Alice dreamed about it. Also, she spoke about having desire for other men. They didn't DO anything, but they have fantasies and avoiding their existancemakes them slowly moving away from each other and theirselves.

Pubrick

yeah, bill didn't bring the mask back home because it would've been in the bag when he returned it.

at the shop he thought he had either forgotten it in the cab, or left it at the mansion.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

He certainly locked his file cabinet...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

socketlevel

it's crazy i just watched eyes wide shut on television up here in canada and they played it UNCUT!  it was on city tv which is not pay tv!  what the fuck were they thinking?  did they get the wrong dub from an earlier print or something?  i just don't get it.  anyone else know what was going on?

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

cine

I recall seeing it on City TV (but I like to call it Shitty TV, ho ho) and flipping the channel immediately, telling the person I was with "oh, they just edited shit out anyway. fuck this."

socketlevel

no, maybe i should a worded what i ment better cinephile, i'm not just talking about the fact they didn't censor for tv content, i'm also saying they played the INTERNATIONAL VERSION of the film!  it was cool (and yes there is the factor of me being a pervert) to not see the superimposed people in the orgy sequence.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

really, those two or three superimposed ppl are not that important to the film.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

yeah, they dont really bother me.  if i had to chose between the version i have now or the international one, of course i would choose the internatonal one, but it doesnt bother me so much.  to tell you the truth i didnt even notice them the first few times i saw the picture...

NEON MERCURY

eward.....is the person (red tie) eating a vanilla wafer in your av......

Alethia

actually i think those were triscuits......