Awakenings

Started by 82, June 11, 2003, 03:07:08 AM

This has got to be one of my most favorite movies...  There is really a lot here.. and Im so glad I got this on dvd when I did.. I absolutly am in love with this movie.. and I even went as far to get the soundtrack off of ebay recently...  

Casting was supurb here..  Both wonderful performances from Robin Williams and Robert De Niro.

Not many movies really are able to deeply touch me but this one has a way about it :)
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: 82This has got to be one of my most favorite movies...  There is really a lot here.. and Im so glad I got this on dvd when I did.. I absolutly am in love with this movie.. and I even went as far to get the soundtrack off of ebay recently...  

Casting was supurb here..  Both wonderful performances from Robin Williams and Robert De Niro.

Not many movies really are able to deeply touch me but this one has a way about it :)

i can see how you could relate to a movie about retards , i find your posts to have the same amount of substance that one would get out of deniro in the beginning, but right around the time he starts to catch the ball, he has gone way past your level

Derek237

Uh, so yeah- Awakenings was great. Very good ending, too. DeNiro and Williams are both amazing in this....

Ernie

Yeah, this is definitely one of my faves. I think it's probably the best non-Scorsese De Niro preformance that I've seen. God, I love the montage with "Time of the Seasons" playing, that is such a great part. Love the whole movie. I wish Robin Williams would do more stuff like this and less One Hour Photo, Insomnia stuff. He really is a great actor.

godardian

Quote from: ebeamanYeah, this is definitely one of my faves. I think it's probably the best non-Scorsese De Niro preformance that I've seen. God, I love the montage with "Time of the Seasons" playing, that is such a great part. Love the whole movie. I wish Robin Williams would do more stuff like this and less One Hour Photo, Insomnia stuff. He really is a great actor.

I dunno... "soulful"/sappy Williams got pretty rancid after a while. Patch Adams or What Dreams May Come, anyone?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: ebeamanYeah, this is definitely one of my faves. I think it's probably the best non-Scorsese De Niro preformance that I've seen. God, I love the montage with "Time of the Seasons" playing, that is such a great part. Love the whole movie. I wish Robin Williams would do more stuff like this and less One Hour Photo, Insomnia stuff. He really is a great actor.

I dunno... "soulful"/sappy Williams got pretty rancid after a while. Patch Adams or What Dreams May Come, anyone?

That's true. I haven't seen either of those but yeah, they look pretty sappy. I guess I just meant generally good roles, I don't know. Not serial killer, edgy shit, that's stupid.

MacGuffin

Patch Adams - Better than it's made out to be.

What Dreams May Come - Sappy, but not because of Williams.

If anything, Penny Marshall should go back to doing these kinds of movies like "Awakenings" or "Big" and forgo stuff like "Riding In Cars With Boys".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

USTopGun47

Patch is borderline sappy I'd say.  I don't know, perhaps What Dreams May Come is too but I really enjoyed it.  Overall, I love Awakenings.  More brilliant DeNiro... god everything he does.  Some great scenes there with those stares in the wheelchair.  Man.  One hell of a guy.  Hat off.
I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.