Shutter Island

Started by MacGuffin, October 23, 2007, 12:14:30 AM

Bethie

Quote from: ©brad on June 13, 2009, 02:48:54 PM
Quote from: Bethie on June 13, 2009, 02:30:51 AM
this is scary :shock:

In like, a good way? Or a what the fuck has Marty been smoking way?

the latter
who likes movies anyway

Alexandro

i saw it without sound cause i don't want spoilers. could be either fantastic or a big bomb. being scorsese it will probably be great and will go to pretty crazy places. he seems to be making his own version of shock corridor here...

Gamblour.

Oh, I thought this trailer looked awesome. I have the book sitting here, but I don't want to read it because I've had bad luck with watching adapted films that I've read the book prior. Anyway, this looks very Cape Fearish in terms of him delving into genre, and I think it'll be just fine.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

^^ that poster is a good contender for what ravi said in the giant fucking face thread.

Quote from: Ravi on October 23, 2006, 04:05:49 PM
Quote from: samsong on October 22, 2006, 06:05:52 PM

Giantest head ever?  His head alone is 3x as big as the city.

Alexandro

bad poster and generic tagline...

"someone is missing"?

im pretty sure the film is way more interesting than what that poster suggest...

socketlevel

Quote from: Alexandro on July 23, 2009, 05:26:29 PM
bad poster and generic tagline...

"someone is missing"?

im pretty sure the film is way more interesting than what that poster suggest...

i would hope, unless it's another paycheque movie like cape fear... which rocked, but at the expense of shindler's list
the one last hit that spent you...

Alexandro

why at the expense? schindler's list came out pretty good. have you seen it lately?
and cape fear indeed rocked. it is easily one of the best most entertaining "thrillers" around.

socketlevel

Quote from: Alexandro on August 12, 2009, 11:23:10 AM
why at the expense? Schindler's list came out pretty good. have you seen it lately?
and cape fear indeed rocked. it is easily one of the best most entertaining "thrillers" around.

right it came out fucking amazing, no argument here. 

i meant at the expensive of making a masterpiece, he made a balls solid thriller.  look I'm not saying he'd even do a better job then Spielberg.  i am saying both films are amazing. yet, i would think that making Schindler's list would have been more of dream project.  it has been widely discussed in various books/interviews that Scorsese and Spielberg switched projects because A. it was a fatter paycheque (something Marty wasn't used to, and a carrot held by Stephen) and B. Spielberg used the him being Jewish card on Marty, a film about "his people". 

at the end of the day i would feel proud as film maker with either of these amazing films, but Schindler will be remembered and written about in film history books.  also, it's a movie you can write home about, mom would be proud... less so proud about a crazed killer movie.

Alexandro

We'll never know about Schindler's List by Martin Scorsese...didn't Spielberg offered Schindler to a bunch of people before deciding to do it himself, Roman Polanski among them???

Cape Fear is probably way better because of Scorsese's involvement. Just two examples that I remember now of changes he made to what Spielberg had in mind are the trnasformation of the family from the usual Spielberg happy suburban family to the trainwreck of the final film, and making the scene between De Niro and Lewis a verbal confrontation instead of an action chase sequence.

MacGuffin

If Scorsese had done Schindler's, Kubrick might still have gone through with Wartime Lies, and then we wouldn't have had Eyes Wide Shut.  :ponder:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

socketlevel

Quote from: Alexandro on August 12, 2009, 07:02:24 PM
We'll never know about Schindler's List by Martin Scorsese...didn't Spielberg offered Schindler to a bunch of people before deciding to do it himself, Roman Polanski among them???

Cape Fear is probably way better because of Scorsese's involvement. Just two examples that I remember now of changes he made to what Spielberg had in mind are the trnasformation of the family from the usual Spielberg happy suburban family to the trainwreck of the final film, and making the scene between De Niro and Lewis a verbal confrontation instead of an action chase sequence.

agreed again.  i don't even want to see Schindler's list by Scorsese, and wasn't the intent of my post.  i was just trying to get in his head (if i may even be so bold) at the crossroads when he had to make that decision.  i wouldn't change history.  just like now, shutter does seem like a fun piece, and it shouldn't be anything but that... i think it has a great potential of being strong like cape fear... i was only trying to state the distinction that in the past it came at a cost; even if the correct call in the end.  I'm just being nerdy mentioning it, not criticizing :)

modage

not looking good...

"Shutter Island" has now been bumped off its October 2nd release date and shuffled into the not-so-Oscar-worthy month of February. Ooof, no really, February 19, which means it'll go head-to-head with the " From Paris with Love" which makes it feel like the special Olympics of box-office weekends.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

WHAT?

That's terrible. For them to do that to both Scorsese and Di Caprio... the movie must suck.

Where did you read that?