Shutter Island

Started by MacGuffin, October 23, 2007, 12:14:30 AM

MacGuffin

Scorsese, DiCaprio team for 'Island'
Paramount, Columbia to co-produce film
Source: Variety

Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio will reteam early next year on "Shutter Island," a Laeta Kalogridis-scripted adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel.

Pic is coming together quickly as a co-production between Paramount Pictures and Columbia Pictures, with production starting in March. Paramount will supervise production and distribute domestically while Columbia is looking to distribute internationally.

The project will be a co-production between Phoenix Pictures, Scorsese's Sikelia and DiCaprio's Appian Way banners. Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and Scorsese will produce. Lehane, Kalogridis and Louis Phillips will be exec producers.

Drama is set in 1954, with DiCaprio in final talks to play U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels, who is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island.

Scouting will begin shortly on the film, which most likely will shoot in Massachusetts, Connecticut or Nova Scotia.

Lehane's novel "Mystic River" was turned into a film by Clint Eastwood, and his "Gone Baby Gone" is the basis for the Ben Affleck-directed drama that opened this past weekend.

"Shutter Island" was originally optioned in 2003 by Columbia. The option lapsed and Lehane's Gersh reps resold it to Phoenix Pictures. The producer enlisted Kalogridis, the "Alexander" scribe who also wrote "Battle Angel" and "The Dive" for James Cameron. Phoenix and Kalogridis developed "Shutter Island" for about a year.

Scorsese and DiCaprio, who've now worked together on three films, were looking at several projects to do early next year, including an adaptation of "The Wolf of Wall Street." The "Shutter Island" script quickly drew both director and star, and a deal is expected to fall into place quickly.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I didn't like this yesterday and I dislike it even more today. I figured Scorsese would align himself to a project pre-strike since he was the only major filmmaker who didn't have one ready and waiting to go. I understand he will never make the films I want him to make, but he had better projects on the table than this one. This project just looks like the only one not tied in legal battles.

Maybe the premise doesn't do the story justice, but no part of it sounds intriguing. It's another historical film for Scorsese, but it looks like it will be his first to have no resonance to any part of history or world culture (considering his adaptation of The Age of Innocence). The descriptions paints the picture of a mystery or action film only. I really do hope I'm wrong.

Alexandro

I love Scorsese and all but this is a letdown. He should shake it a little bit by making Silence for 30 million instead of his im sure planned 90 million and leave alone all these projects anyone else could make with no problem.

I mean I know he can make it great and get a bunch of terrific performances from anyone. But it's time for a personal film.

MacGuffin

'Island' life calls Ruffalo
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- Mark Ruffalo will star opposite Leonardo DiCaprio in Martin Scorsese's drama "Shutter Island" for Paramount and Columbia.

In Laeta Kalogridis' adaptation of Dennis Lehane's 2004 novel, Ruffalo will play U.S. Marshal Chuck Aule, who travels with his new partner (DiCaprio) to the eponymous Massachusetts island in 1954. As they investigate the disappearance of a patient from a hospital for the criminally insane, they encounter a web of lies, a hurricane and a deadly inmate riot that leaves them trapped on the island.

Ruffalo has all but signed a final contract for the film, set to begin shooting in March. It will be produced by Phoenix Pictures, Scorsese's Sikelia Prods. and DiCaprio's Appian Way. Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and Scorsese will serve as producers. Lehane, Kalogridis and Louis Phillips will executive produce.

Paramount will supervise production and handle North American distribution. Columbia is set to handle international distribution.

"Island" is the latest prestige project for Ruffalo ("Zodiac"), who next will be seen in Fernando Meirelles' "Blindness" for Miramax and Rian Johnson's "The Brothers Bloom" for Summit Entertainment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Kingsley catches 'Shutter' bug

Ben Kingsley looks to have caught a case of island fever.

He has joined Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo in Martin Scorsese's drama "Shutter Island" for Paramount.

The film, adapted by Laeta Kalogridis from Dennis Lehane's 2004 novel, centers on a U.S. marshal (Ruffalo) who along with his new partner (DiCaprio) travels to a Massachusetts island to investigate the disappearance of a patient from a hospital for the criminally insane. During their inquiry, the two encounter a web of deceit, experience a hurricane and become involved in a deadly inmate riot that leaves them trapped on the island.

Kingsley will play Dr. Cawley, the hospital's enigmatic chief physician who must reluctantly play host to the two U.S. marshals.

Shooting is set to begin in March, with the film being produced by Phoenix Pictures, Scorsese's Sikelia Prods. and DiCaprio's Appian Way. Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fishcher and Scorsese will serve as producers with Kalogridis, Lehane and Louis Phillips executive producing.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michelle Williams joins 'Island'
Actress added to Scorsese-directed drama
Source: Variety

Michelle Williams is poised to join "Shutter Island," playing the wife of U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) in the Martin Scorsese-directed drama for Paramount Pictures.

Williams is in talks to join DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo and Ben Kingsley in the adaptation of the bestselling novel by Dennis Lehane. Laeta Kalogridis wrote the script, and Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and Scorsese will produce.

The drama revolves around the trip made by Daniels to a remote New England island in 1954 to figure out how a multiple murderess escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane. He is grieving over the recent death of his wife, who was killed in a fire by one of the inhabitants of the facility.

Williams just opened in the ensemble of the Todd Haynes-directed Bob Dylan biopic "I'm Not There." She will next be seen starring with Ewan McGregor and Hugh Jackman in the Marcel Langenegger-directed drama "The Tourist" and the Charlie Kaufman-directed "Synedoche, N.Y."

She will juggle the role in "Shutter Island" with another in Lukas Moodysson's currently shooting pic "Mammoth," in which she stars with Gael Garcia Bernal.

Skeleton FilmWorks

theyarelegion

MacGuffin

Trio of stars in for 'Shutter'

Max von Sydow, Emily Mortimer and Jackie Earle Haley have joined the cast of Martin Scorsese's mystery drama "Shutter Island" for Paramount.

The three join Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley, Michelle Williams and Patricia Clarkson in the film, which was adapted by Laeta Kalogridis from Dennis Lehane's 2004 novel.

The story revolves around two U.S. marshals (DiCaprio and Ruffalo) who travel to a Massachusetts island to investigate the disappearance of a patient from a hospital for the criminally insane. Chaos ensues for the two as they encounter a web of deceit, a hurricane and a deadly inmate riot that leaves them trapped on the island.

Von Sydow will play one of the hospital's physicians, while Mortimer will play Rachel, an escaped hospital patient. Haley will play an inmate.

The film is being produced by Phoenix Pictures, Scorsese's Sikelia Prods. and DiCaprio's Appian Way with Mike Medavoy, Arnold Messer, Brad Fischer and Scorsese serving as producers. Kalogridis, Lehane and Louis Phillips are executive producing.

With production set to begin March 6, the project was just sold by Paramount Vantage to several major European territories including Germany (TeleMunchen) and Italy (Medusa). TeleMunchen picked up "Shutter's" distribution rights for $12 million while Medusa paid $10 million.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

that's a fucking cool cast.

MacGuffin

Patricia Clarkson Opens Up On Scorsese's 'Ashecliffe.' Well, Sort Of.
Source: MTV

Patricia Clarkson's role in the upcoming Martin Scorsese picture "Ashecliffe" (formerly "Shutter Island") is epic, it's life-changing, it's a tour de force. And, oh yeah, it's a complete mystery.

"I don't want people to know who I'm playing," the talented actress teased us when we recently caught up with her. "It's a great character and it's very exciting. It's a challenging role and I'm looking forward to it.

"I've had a very long talk with [Martin] about it," the actress added when we pressed her for more details.

An adaptation of the Dennis Lehane novel, "Shutter Island" follows U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) as he investigates the escape of a murderess from a hospital for the criminally insane.

Alongside Mark Ruffalo as Chuck Aule and Ben Kingsley as Dr. John Cawley, IMDB has Clarkson listed as playing Nurse Marino. But that can't possibly be right given how jazzed Clarkson seemed for the role - can it? After all, Marino is a small part.

Full disclosure, I haven't read the book (although I did just read the last five pages on Google Books. SNAP!) Maybe somebody who has can make heads or tails of what Clarkson said of her conversations with Scorsese:

"We discussed how she is emotionally and physically challenged. She's been through a lot," Clarkson said of her mystery character. "There's twists and turns and surprises with this character and I think that she has a lot at stake. She's a very intelligent woman but she's very compromised when you meet her."

Skeleton FilmWorks

JG

they are shooting the climax of this movie right up the street as we speak. its funny how massachusetts has become the new place for big time movies. lots of pretty locations where i live. dad says sunsets just aren't like that anywhere else.

for petes sake

Quote from: JG on June 17, 2008, 06:21:25 PM
they are shooting the climax of this movie right up the street as we speak. its funny how massachusetts has become the new place for big time movies. lots of pretty locations where i live. dad says sunsets just aren't like that anywhere else.

Where are you from in Massachusetts?  I'm from the South Shore but one of my friends from school lives in Nahant which I've heard is where they're shooting this.

JG

nahant is where, which is a strange coincidence cos nahant is super small so i bet i know (of) your friend.

MacGuffin

Mark Ruffalo Promises 'Ashecliffe' Will Rank Among Martin Scorsese's Best
Source: MTV

Saying that a man who directed "Raging Bull," "Taxi Driver," "The Last Temptation of Christ," "The Departed," and many more has helmed some great films isn't exactly stepping out onto a ledge. Saying that that very same man's best work is in front of him? Now we're talking!

Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island," (or "Ashecliffe," we're not exactly sure) is shaping up to be one of the famed director's best, co-star Mark Ruffalo said.

"It is Martin Scorsese's playground with this movie. He gets to do everything he loves about film," Ruffalo insisted. "He does noir, fantasy sequences, dream sequences, madness, suspense, tough urban stuff. It's absolute madness and twist upon twist. This could be one of his great films."

The film, based on a book by "Mystic River" and "Gone Baby Gone" author Dennis Lehane follows two US Marshalls (Ruffalo and Leonardo DiCaprio) and their investigation into the disappearance of a mental patient from a Massachusetts asylum.

Anybody who has read the book, however, (as I have since my last article about the film, when I was unable to figure out which role Patricia Clarkson would play) could tell you that the film is about so much more than the basic plotline sketches at. Ruffalo, like me, would rather some of that remain a mystery, the actor only going so far as to say that it's "so much bigger."

So what does Ruffalo call the recent Oscar winner on set?

"You sort of go Mr. Scorsese, Mr. Scorsese, Mr. Scorsese," the thesp laughed, "but at some point after day 60, you're like 'hey Marty!'"

And what does he say? Please and thank-you, that's what.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.