Tarantino's Casting

Started by cine, April 01, 2003, 09:50:46 AM

cine

I respect his casting choices, but I'm curious if other people are annoyed when he gets, say, David Carradine to play the lead in "Kill Bill".. does that annoy anybody here? When Tarantino says something along the lines of "David Carradine is just as good an actor as (insert great actor here)" in his Jackie Brown DVD interview.
Does anybody here oppose the casting of older people that have barely been seen or heard of for years?

Raikus

Are you saying just because an actor hasn't worked in a few years they should be permanently blacklisted? That shouldn't be the case. They should always be judged on whose best for the role and who can best make the transition from script to screen.

However, if you have any beef with Tarantino's choice of Carradine, it should be that this looks like his normal pigeon-holed role. The man should try something different than good/evil karate/kung fu master who walks the earth/is a crimelord and fights in slow motion style type role.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

MacGuffin

just member, warren beatty was the original choice.  :yabbse-wink:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Duck Sauce

Quote from: mogwaijust member, warren beatty was the original choice.  :yabbse-wink:

Yeah, whyd he drop out?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Duck SauceYeah, whyd he drop out?

c if i figured out dis copy paste thing

Beatty: "I really want to work with Quentin, and the script is terrific, but the part has grown, and the schedule and locations for me would now take so much more time than originally planned that I'm just not going to be able to do it,"

"Me and Warren were having dinner the other night, and Warren said, 'Why haven't you gone to David Carradine with this?' It became mutually obvious to us that this wasn't the one for me and Warren to do together. This is the one for me and David Carradine. I've been talking to Warren Beatty for a long time about this role, and I totally expect to make another movie with him." QT
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: RaikusAre you saying just because an actor hasn't worked in a few years they should be permanently blacklisted? That shouldn't be the case. They should always be judged on whose best for the role and who can best make the transition from script to screen.

However, if you have any beef with Tarantino's choice of Carradine, it should be that this looks like his normal pigeon-holed role. The man should try something different than good/evil karate/kung fu master who walks the earth/is a crimelord and fights in slow motion style type role.

Raikus, I have no problem with anything Tarantino does. I'm a huge QT fan and love all of his choices as a director. I was merely curious if anybody else on the forum had problems with his choices of casting and if they preferred bigger Hollywood names instead of the Robert Forster actors. I know Forster is an exceptional actor and little was heard of him since his big films from the 60's/70's ("Medium Cool").. but I was only wondering if anyone DID have beef with that sorta thing.. thats all.

Raikus

Yeah, I meant it as a general comment, but upon looking at it again I did use some improper pronouns. I didn't think you were thinking that, I was just commenting on it as a blanket statement.

Now to go watch my VHS tapes of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Ah alright then.. sounds good.

Pubrick

Quote from: CinephileAh alright then.. sounds good.
Hey, you post too much. BUT I LOVE YOU NOW!  :-D  :kiss:
under the paving stones.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

one of the best all time casting artists.

for the most part he sees things most people do not and he is spot on. Travolta in pulp fiction was  dead on, at the time film snobs were all saying he should of cast daniel day lewis  :roll:

but the warren beaty thing still stings me kill bill will forever be somewhat ruined for me now that he is not in the film, Bill needed a lot of cool baggage to him the kind that a warren beaty could bring . Of course some people will laugh at the idea of of warren beatty, but those people will never ever make a film as great as pulp or jackie brown etc etc

remember a year ago some of us were mad that PDL didnt star philip seymore hoffman instead of adam sandler .

bonanzataz

Quote from: mogwaic if i figured out dis copy paste thing

nice cover...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

Quote from: P
Hey, you post too much.

sorry P but I could've sworn this was a forum. I thought these were for open discussions on film and such.. Perhaps I forgot that there was a limit to how much you say per day, whether you're discussing or debating something. Silly me. If this isn't a forum, I better wake up, smell the coffee and find out what it is!

Thanks for your help, P. You're a life saver.

Pubrick

Quote from: Cinephilesorry P but I could've sworn this was a forum. I thought these were for open discussions on film and such.. Perhaps I forgot that there was a limit to how much you say per day, whether you're discussing or debating something. Silly me. If this isn't a forum, I better wake up, smell the coffee and find out what it is!

Thanks for your help, P. You're a life saver.
sarcasm is stupid.
under the paving stones.

cine

I'd rather use sarcasm than make stupid comments like "Ratner drinks way too much semen" or saying "My Gay Greek Wedding."
I don't live in a trailerpark - sorry.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CinephileI'd rather use sarcasm than make stupid comments like "Ratner drinks way too much semen" or saying "My Gay Greek Wedding."
I don't live in a trailerpark - sorry.

Let me just say that, as history has proven, he who lays his land upon P usually dies an excrutiatingly ugly death. Strange how nature works, really.