MacGuffin

Best Director: Alfonso Cuarón for CHILDREN OF MEN

THE NOMINEES

Darren Aronofsky - The Fountain
Alfonso Cuarón - Children of Men
Guillermo del Toro - Pan's Labyrinth
David Lynch - INLAND EMPIRE
Martin Scorsese - The Departed
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How is it that Aronofsky, Lynch and Scorsese get robbed all in the same year and same category?

I mean, jesus, I thought the Oscars were disagreeable.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

those werent Scorsese's or Lynch's best films by a long shot and this was Cuaron's best film.  honestly I had expected more wins from The Fountain but like Brick i guess there just wasn't quite enough love out there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

Yeah, how Aronofsky didn't win for this doesn't make any sense. Cuaron was the Paul Greengrass of this category.
WWPTAD?

picolas

i keep having the intense urge to post this whenever it comes up and i keep holding back but this is the xixaxies and Gamblour keeps saying it so:

it makes PERFECT SENSE that Aronofsky and The Fountain have not won any major awards (except for best score in some places),

because The Fountain is a bad movie.

Gamblour.

Haha, that's ok. In trying to humbly respect your opinion, I couldn't help but remember those days on IMDb when posters would so vehemently disagree and condemn someone to watching movies like Glitter or Crossroads. Anyway, it's cool that you hate it, I understand.

omg stfu go watch norbit.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

I haven't seen Children of Men, but Alfonso Cuaron has never been a man to be glorifed on this board. At least he is different than the usuals. I'm for one glad that Scorsese didn't win here for The Departed. The Academy owed him the honor, but this board doesn't need to further glorify a lackluster effort.

See, many people believe that The Departed was just beneath Scorsese. That he still did a technically brilliant job but was working with a lackluster script. I also think he did a lackluster job directing.

The problem is that Scorsese was on auto pilot. He didn't know how to gage the story and change the rythm accoringly. He pulled out all of his usual tricks and nothing more.

Consider a scene. At the beginning, when Matt Damon is a boy and at the local conveniance store and first meets Nicholson's character. Nicholson warms up to him and has the employee give him free food, ranging from milk to bread and other things. The camera catches every product in a rapid fire montage as they are being given to the kid. Was the montage necessary? I don't think so. It was a beginning scene of little importance but to set up the story. The scene should have stayed simple, but it was used because it was a Scorsese hallmark.

That is the problem. The film gains energy and starts showing trickery with the film at odd times. Sometimes it makes sense, like when DiCaprio is with the shrink and trying to come clean with his demons but can't help remember the crimes and violence he recently committed. Most of the time the filmmaking is just running with the awkward aggression of the script. Most of the scenes are normal, but they spill out with ridiculous fuck this and fuck that dialogue. I kept thinking about Boondock Saints while watching the film.

But Scorsese doesn't try to clean up the script. He doesn't realize that many scenes are excessive without being telling. Many directors do work behind the scenes to clean up an original screenplay. Most of the time they don't even take credit. The film also could have benefited from a grittier look and feel, but the actors and locale looks to clean and standard to be authentic. It makes the artificial nature of the script that more apparent. Scorsese needed to better disguise the flaws of the script but did little so I don't think he even did a good job at directing.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

man, picloas, you didn't like the fountain because YOU JUST DIDN'T GET IT.  :yabbse-tongue:
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

who likes movies anyway
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

scorsese should have won both ethe oscar and the xixax for the aviator......of the nominated films that i've seen he was my choice and I stand by it...the departed makes entertainment look effortless...i would never say any filmmaker of his stature works on "auto pilot". frankly, i think that's nonsense...