Ridley Scott

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2003, 11:14:03 AM

MacGuffin

R. and R.
Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott: Our extended Q&A. The Aussie actor and his ''Gladiator'' director tell Josh Rottenberg more about two new big-screen collaborations

The swords-and-sandals smash Gladiator was just their opening act. Now Russell Crowe and director Ridley Scott are reuniting with A Good Year (Nov. 10), a surprisingly gentle comedy about a British businessman (Crowe) who takes over his uncle's vineyard in Provence. But that's not all! Next month, the duo will start production on the crime drama American Gangster, with Crowe starring opposite Denzel Washington as a cop trying to take down a notorious Harlem drug lord. EW called the frank filmmaking duo for a three-way chat.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: A Good Year seems like an unlikely project for you guys to take on.
RUSSELL CROWE That's one of the reasons we did it. I mean, it would be very easy for the two of us to make something grand and epic, but then people would say, ''Oh, they're repeating themselves.'' It just seemed more fun to go into this smaller place, where the problems weren't as vast.
RIDLEY SCOTT The key is to keep challenging yourself. I haven't done much in the way of comedy, and I've been living in Provence for 15 years, so this is something I've had on my mind for a while.

Making this film must have been a more pleasant experience than Gladiator.
CROWE Oddly enough, regardless of the problems that were to be solved on Gladiator, we always had fun every day — and that's the whole point. But going into an area that Ridley had such a deep connection with, I knew that he would know how to approach Provence as a subject matter, as a character. But you're dead right. I mean, it just went through my mind a little while ago, while I was on the set of a film [the indie drama Tenderness] out in some unkempt part of New York State: If you could go to Provence once a year to make a film, it would be a damn fine life.
SCOTT The thing also about doing Gladiator is, despite all the running problems which occurred on a daily basis, I think we both figured we were onto something that was going to be certainly very interesting. When something good is happening on a movie, you get a sense of it when you're making it. It doesn't happen often.

What's the secret to your collaboration?
CROWE It's about trust. If Ridley says, ''Jump off a cliff,'' I go, ''Right-o, mate.'' Our friendship was forged in fire. We've been in the situation [on Gladiator] of standing in Morocco, with thousands of people standing around, going, ''What do we do now?''
SCOTT Sometimes you've got to be able to say, ''I'm not sure,'' in which case the other person can kick in and you can solve the problem. I think that's sometimes the best way things can be worked out, rather than one dominant factor saying, ''This is the way to go.''

Ridley, has Russell mellowed at all since Gladiator?
SCOTT Not really. He's still feisty —
CROWE [Cutting in] When the situation demands it.
SCOTT Russell expects people to be ready, and I expect people to be ready, and if they're not, they sometimes get an ear-bashing.
CROWE The other half of that story is that I have to work out the moods and needs of the guy I'm working for as well. In any creative relationship, that's valid. And if you're a creative person, most of the time it's effortless. We both have on certain days a take-no-prisoners approach when we really believe in something. But that's f---ing valid, and I respond to Ridley's passion, and Ridley responds to mine. We're really lucky.

Any truth to the rumors of a Gladiator prequel?
CROWE Ridley and I talk about that quite regularly. It's probably not something we want to discuss right now. But I hope that in the future we've got some gigantic stories to tell together.

In the meantime, you're taking another 180-degree turn with American Gangster, about the real-life 1970s drug kingpin Frank Lucas.
CROWE Yeah, now we're going to get the sledgehammers out and bang some doors down. The Frank Lucas story is pretty well known. Frank took over from a fellow who was a big gangster in Harlem and basically found his own source for drugs, and he cut out the Italian Mob and thereby increased his financial earnings capacity dramatically and also his power base. What we're coming down to with this script is this battle of wits, really, between this gangster and a police investigator.
SCOTT It's two very interesting characters who are both paradoxical, really. One [played by Crowe] is a cop who's obsessive about doing the right thing and being honest, and at the same time has a private life which is totally f---ed up. On the other hand, you've got a gangster [played by Denzel Washington] who has the life of a middle-class bank manager and yet is shipping heroin from Cambodia and putting it on the streets of New York. It's two quite different characters and yet similar in many respects.
CROWE The really intriguing thing is that in real life these guys have become friends. The guy who put him away essentially was the only person who was there to meet Frank Lucas when he came out of prison, and they're still in touch on a regular basis now.

When do you go into production?
SCOTT We're shooting in Harlem in August, which is hotter than hell.
CROWE And in between times, hopefully my wife will complete the production in Australia of my second child. Hopefully she sticks to the schedule, because it's pretty tight this year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 24, 2006, 12:03:50 AM
a surprisingly gentle comedy about a British businessman (Crowe) who takes over his uncle's vineyard in Provence.
don't be fooled, it turns out the fucking vineyard is not really his daughter. I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU RIDLEY!!!!!!!! :yabbse-cry:   :yabbse-cry:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

RZA, Ortiz, Ejiofor join 'Gangster'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Chiwetel Ejiofor, RZA and John Ortiz have joined the cast of "American Gangster," Imagine's 1970s crime drama starring Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington that Ridley Scott is directing for Universal Pictures. Rappers-turned-actors T.I. and Common, as well as Ted Levine, John Hawkes and Yul Vazquez also have been cast. The movie is based on the life of drug kingpin-turned-informant Frank Lucas (Washington), who shipped heroin to the U.S. in the coffins of soldiers killed in Vietnam. Lucas was brought to justice by lawman Richie Roberts (Crowe). The two then worked together to expose the crooked cops and foreign nationals. Ejiofor will play Washington's brother, who helps Frank run his heroin empire.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Scott to Bring Crowe Back to Life for 'Gladiator' Sequel
By WENN

Director Ridley Scott has confirmed he plans to make a Gladiator sequel with Russell Crowe, despite Crowe's character having been killed off.

Scott intends to write around the problem of Crowe dying at the finale of his 2000 smash hit.

He had originally tried to get a follow-up made in 2003, before abandoning the idea, but things are now back on track.

Scott says, "I will probably do a sequel to Gladiator. The only problem is Russell Crowe was such a powerful presence and, of course, Maximus dies at the end.

"We'll have to get Russell back somehow."

Skeleton FilmWorks

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: Pubrick on June 24, 2006, 01:27:05 AM
Quote from: MacGuffin on June 24, 2006, 12:03:50 AM
a surprisingly gentle comedy about a British businessman (Crowe) who takes over his uncle's vineyard in Provence.
don't be fooled, it turns out the fucking vineyard is not really his daughter. I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU RIDLEY!!!!!!!! :yabbse-cry:   :yabbse-cry:

Didn't he also say Thelma & Louise was a comedy?

MacGuffin

Director Ridley Scott Talks Penetration
Source: ComingSoon

Director Ridley Scott has been in New York City the last few months shooting his new crime drama American Gangster with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. With four more weeks of shooting to go, he took a break to talk with ComingSoon.net about his previous collaboration with Crowe, A Good Year. During the interview, Scott told us a bit about the next big project he has planned, currently dubbed Penetration.

"The thing I'm doing next will almost certainly be something [based on] a book coming out, which is really about what's happening now in the Middle East, our complete misunderstanding of what's going on and how we're not dealing with it. Inevitably, [it gets] into the heat in terms of a man who is actually a par journalist that gets sucked into working on a peripheral level in a special department where he gets into real trouble in the Middle East. But it's so accurate. It's by a journalist called David Ignatius. It was called 'Penetration' which I think is a really good title for this, but it's now changing. It's coming out next March. It's a fantastic book! Anyone who has spent 30 years in Iran and Iraq and Syria, [who] can speak Arabic, is the man to come up with the right kind of notion, where the idea of maybe you can't have it tie off neatly because there isn't a neat ending to what is going on." The book was adapted by William Monahan, who wrote Martin Scorsese crime drama The Departed, which looks to be the #1 movie this weekend.

And what about all those reported rumors of a prequel to Scott and Crowe's previous blockbuster Gladiator? "It's possible," Scott told us. "You can deal with that and bring back Russell," Scott told us. "I know what to do, and you don't do a prequel."

Ridley has also been developing a remake of Walter Hill's 1979 action-drama The Warriors with his brother Tony, and he hinted that Tony might actually be directing it. Although there was talk of it taking place in L.A., Ridley thinks that it should still be set in New York. We'll see how all of that pans out in the next few weeks when Tony does the rounds for his next movie Déjà Vu, also with Denzel Washington.

Ridley Scott's next movie A Good Year comes out on November 10 with American Gangster scheduled for November 2, 2007, both with Russell Crowe. Stay tuned to ComingSoon.net for a full interview with the master filmmaker later this month.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

DiCaprio to star in 'Body of Lies'
Scott will direct the project for WB
Source: Variety

Leonardo DiCaprio is in early talks to star in Warner Bros.' adaptation of the new David Ignatius novel, "Body of Lies."

Ridley Scott will direct the project, which reunites DiCaprio with screenwriter William Monahan, Oscar-winning writer of "The Departed."

Donald De Line and Scott are producing the co-production of Scott Free Prods. and De Line Pictures. Scott Free's Michael Costigan is exec producer.

DiCaprio's deal has to be negotiated, but he already has worked the picture into his busy schedule. He'll make it this fall after first reteaming with "Titanic" co-star Kate Winslet on "Revolutionary Road," the Sam Mendes-directed DreamWorks drama that shoots in April.

Scott already is scouting venues in Morocco for a film that will shoot in Washington, D.C., Europe and the Middle East.

DiCaprio will play an ex-journalist-turned CIA agent who's sent to Amman to work with Jordan's intelligence chief to track an Al Qaeda leader rumored to be planning attacks against America.Monahan and Scott aligned to the project last year, when Warner bought the novel, then titled "Penetration," by Washington Post columnist Ignatius. Middle East-set project is the third that Monahan has scripted for Scott, after "Kingdom of Heaven" and "Tripoli," the latter of which hasn't yet been made.

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 09, 2007, 01:37:58 AM
first reteaming with "Titanic" co-star Kate Winslet on "Revolutionary Road," the Sam Mendes-directed DreamWorks drama that shoots in April.

oh man, that is a bad move. sam mendes will never do this book justice.

MacGuffin

Fox 2000 is with 'Child'
Scott to direct film '44'

Fox 2000 has optioned screenwriter Tom Rob Smith's debut novel "Child 44" for Ridley Scott to direct and the filmmaker's Scott Free banner to produce.

There were at least two other bidders for the film rights to the thriller, including another major.

Smith's yet-to-be published novel, due out in 2008, was sold at auction in the U.S. to Warner Books in a two-book deal that contemplates a sequel. Simon & Schuster will publish in the U.K.

Set in Stalinist Russia, storyline revolves around an officer in the secret police who is framed by a colleague for treason. On the run with his emotionally estranged wife, he stumbles upon a series of child killings and launches his own rogue investigation, even though it means risking his own capture.

Scott Free president Michael Costigan and senior VP of production Michael Ellenberger brought in the project. At Fox 2000, Carla Hacken helped drive the deal.

Smith, a Cambridge graduate, has written for several British television shows, including "Doctors" and "Dream Team." He also penned the story for Cambodia's first-ever soap opera for the BBC World Service Trust.

Scott's next directing project is "Penetration," a political drama about modern-day intelligence and terrorism that he begins lensing in August.

Leonardo DiCaprio is lined up to star in the pic, which is based on David Ignatius' tome "Body of Lies." Scribe William Monahan ("The Departed") will adapt for the bigscreen. Scott Free is producing with Donald De Line's De Line Pictures.

Scott is next in theaters with crime drama "American Gangster," set for release in November.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Scott set for 'Nottingham'
Director to helm Crowe drama

Ridley Scott is set to direct Russell Crowe in the Universal Pictures drama "Nottingham," which Brian Grazer is producing for Imagine Entertainment.

Universal earlier bought the spec script by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris, creators of the Showtime series "Sleeper Cell," in an auction for seven figures. Crowe was attached at that time (Daily Variety, Feb. 1).

Crowe stars as the Sheriff of Nottingham in a revisionist take on the Robin Hood tale, with Nottingham as a noble and brave lawman who labors for a corrupt king and engages in a love triangle with Maid Marion and Robin Hood.

Production will start next year.

Scott will direct the film after he helms Leonardo DiCaprio this fall in a CIA thriller for Warner Bros., based on the David Ignatius novel "Body of Lies." William Monahan is writing that script and Scott is producing with Donald De Line.

Scott has directed Crowe in "Gladiator," "A Good Year" and the upcoming "American Gangster."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director on board for movie
Source: The Sunday Times

FILM director Ridley Scott is preparing the most unlikely movie of his career: a feature-length version of the venerable board game Monopoly.

The 69-year-old British film-maker, whose hits include Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, has been offered the pick of young actors to help turn the property game into a comedy thriller.

William Morris, the oldest theatrical agency in Hollywood, has promised Hasbro, which owns Parker Brothers, the manufacturer of Monopoly in the US, that the cream of its stable of 2000 actors will help create a blockbuster movie.

Scarlett Johansson and Kirsten Dunst are being considered for roles. Hasbro, which claims that Monopoly has been played by 750 million people since the 1930s, wants the film to feature "sexy young people" in an attempt to attract teenagers to board games.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Crowe joins the pack for 'Lies'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Twelve years after working together in the "The Quick and the Dead," Russell Crowe is in negotiations to reteam with Leonardo DiCaprio in "Body of Lies," a spy thriller that Ridley Scott is directing for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Scott and Donald De Line are producing the picture, which is an adaptation of Washington Post columnist David Ignatius' novel.

The novel centers on an idealistic CIA agent (DiCaprio), newly stationed in Jordan, who develops an intricate scheme to sow seeds of suspicion among the terrorists he is hunting. However, the plan puts his life in turmoil and threatens his relationship with the head of Jordanian intelligence. Crowe will play DiCaprio's boss.

William Monahan wrote the adaptation. The project was previously known as "Penetration." A late-summer start date is being eyed.

Scott Free's Michael Costigan is executive producing. Lynn Harris is overseeing for Warner Bros. Pictures.

In "Quick and the Dead," Sam Raimi's 1995 Western, Crowe and DiCaprio had second billing to Sharon Stone, who had personally cast them after watching their performances in "Romper Stomper" and "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," respectively.

Crowe is a Scott favorite, having starred in three of the director's films, with another, "Nottingham," in development. Crowe next stars in James Mangold's remake of "3:10 to Yuma" opposite Christian Bale and "American Gangster" opposite Denzel Washington.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ridley Scott and 'Monopoly: The Movie'?
The "Blade Runner" director talks board games and "The Company."
Source: Los Angeles Times

"The Company," a three-episode miniseries (starring Michael Keaton, Alfred Molina and Chris O'Donnell) about the spies working in the heat of the Cold War, premieres tonight on TNT. Ridley Scott, one of the executive producers, is also the director of "Gladiator," "Alien" and the forthcoming "American Gangster," starring Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. And there's chat about a movie based on the board game Monopoly.

They've got you scheduled left and right. What's in your day today?

I'm finishing off the grading on the 25-year-old "Blade Runner" -- we're digitally grading the prints for the release of the five-DVD box set. I'm doing my publicity for "American Gangster," which opens Nov. 2, and casting for a film I'm doing with Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe, which starts in a month. I'm in choppy water, and the waves are slapping against my mouth as I try to talk. Which makes you choke. You get used to it. The trick is: Don't worry.

Last week you teased people again with the idea of a "Blade Runner" sequel. What is the deal?

There is no sequel. And I intend probably never to do a sequel. . . . I like to do the first one, and if they want to do a sequel? Fine.

You're a very successful rebounder, in terms of what have been termed "flops" like "Blade Runner" becoming culturally significant movies. But what is it? You? The system?

I was right the first time, see? That's why I have no regrets about anything. One of the biggest decisions was to keep moving and change from genre to genre. That's why I found my way to doing love stories, then finally down the road to "Thelma & Louise," which was a social-comment, realism kind of movie. And I hadn't done a war movie, so I thought I'd better do "Black Hawk Down." I'm a bit like a pool ball.

"Monopoly: The Movie"?

Monopoly is still the most popular board game -- I might be misquoting! -- in the world. So it's really finding the universe for that game. Because clearly it ought to be humorous and for the family -- the funny way it brings out, particularly when your uncle suddenly gets Park Lane and -- in England, we have Park Lane, Mayfair and Barclay Square, what's it in America? Park and Madison? So you watch people change. You're witness to Jekyll and Hyde. Somewhere in that is a hysterically amusing and I think rather exciting film.

About our gilded age of greed?

That as well. Isn't that comical?

Sort of! Perhaps you can take cues from "Clue."

I never really saw "Clue." But I think it was quite clever. It was one of the first-ofs, wasn't it, where you kind of engage the audience? Listen, in this business you have to examine everything, every direction that media is taking us. Because media is taking us into where, more and more, people have more and more time for more and more leisure. What's happening is it's affecting this shift and change in cinema, both with the material you do and the audience driving movies. . . . Aren't you supposed to ask me about "The Company"?

Yes! Is working with CBS and TNT funner, easier or less annoying than the film studio system?

[Brother and partner] Tony [Scott] has just shot the pilot for the fourth season of "Numb3rs." TNT, this is our first real experience with them. It was a film I was starting at to do, and by the time I got to it, I think "The Good Shepherd" was already beginning to tremble forward, and Sony didn't want to go into a venture which would take them into competition.

So it sat momentarily there. And I thought, I can turn this around with TNT into a terrific miniseries. . . . These were guys behind enemy lines and they had their lives at risk on a daily basis. They were doing it in those days to protect the world from communism, as it was propagandized. So to do it in two hours is tough; a six-hour series is fantastic.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Leonardo DiCaprio And Russell Crowe Will Be A Good 'Fit' In CIA Flick, Ridley Scott Hopes
Director plans to start shooting yet-untitled flick in Morocco soon.
Source: MTV

Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the hottest stars on the planet. Russell Crowe is arguably one of the most talented actors of his generation. Ridley Scott is the legendary mastermind behind such films as "Blade Runner" and "Gladiator." And "Body of Lies" is an intense CIA novel adapted by William Monahan, the Oscar-winning screenwriter behind "The Departed."

If you aren't intrigued at this point, perhaps we could recommend DailyKitten.com as a more appropriate choice for your Web-surfing pleasure.

MTV News recently caught up with DiCaprio and Scott for separate interviews, and we eagerly prodded them for details on their "Body" adaptation, which begins filming next month. Sure enough, what they had to say makes the flick already sound like a 2008 Oscar heavyweight.

"I'm going to go work with Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe in Morocco on an untitled film," DiCaprio revealed.

"I start with Russell and Leonardo in five weeks," Scott said. "It's based on [Washington Post columnist] David Ignatius' book, which originally was called 'Penetration,' and then it was called 'Body of Lies.' So we're still wrestling with the title. There's another interesting, [possible] title called 'Chatter.'

"So send in which one you like," he joked, suggesting an online poll. "[It's between] 'Chatter,' 'Penetration' or 'Body of Lies.' It's not about sex; it's about politics in the Middle East, and it's really good."

Ignatius' novel is a post-9/11 spy tale of an idealistic CIA agent stationed in Jordan after being wounded in Iraq. Using an old British plan that helped take down the Nazis, the agent turns the terrorists against each other by planting suspicion — but when people begin to uncover his efforts, he finds himself as a target.

"It's a throwback to the political films that I enjoyed in the '70s," DiCaprio said of why he decided to take part in the project. "Certainly [it's reminiscent] of films like 'The Parallax View' and 'Three Days of the Condor,' and I'd love to be a part of more films like that."

"If I tell you about the plot, it sounds usual, suspect," Scott teased, insisting that there's a lot more to Monahan's script than any one-sentence pitch could capture ("Schindler's List" screenwriter Steven Zaillian is currently giving the script a final polish). "But take my word for it; it's a great book ... it takes place in Dubai, Washington and Morocco. I'm going back to Morocco for the fourth time."

"I love when it's a good-enough story and it has a great narrative in it, and it's gonna be a good film first and foremost — I'm a huge advocate for making those types of movies," DiCaprio said. Then, comparing that aspect of the flick to another Oscar-nominated drama he released last year, he added: "That's why 'Blood Diamond' was huge on my radar, why I jumped at that opportunity — and certainly this film with Ridley."

Going head-to-head with DiCaprio, Russell Crowe has signed on to play a right-wing suit in the CIA who clashes with the young agent. "You'll see something different," Scott promised, referring to Crowe's knack for transforming himself. "We're still circling and deciding. I'll leave a lot to him and say, 'What do you want to do? Do you want to go thin? Glamorous? Fat? [Do you want to] eat too much or eat very little?'

"We have that kind of conversation," Scott said of the star, who has previously been his leading man in "Gladiator," "A Good Year" and November's "American Gangster." "You give the audience a long list that's absolutely definitive as to who this character must be but, for the most part, that's bullsh--. What I think makes [Crowe] most engaging is that he can fit into anything. It's the same with Leo."

And as DiCaprio has become more concerned with world affairs, his choices of films like "Diamond" and the global-warming documentary "The 11th Hour" have allowed the young star to speak his mind — a trend he hopes to continue by using the untitled CIA flick to explore thorny Iraq war issues close to his heart.

"This is the way that people are educated about issues nowadays. This is the main avenue for learning in today's world," he said of the movies. "I would just hope that enough people go to see them, so the studios will be encouraged to make more films like that in the future and that there is an audience for them and they are profitable."

Scott adds that the combination of the source material and his two stars will make him pretty confident when he strolls onto the set in a few short weeks. "I never say it's a home run," the director grinned. "But I'm keeping my fingers crossed."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ridley Scott to roll with 'Stones'
Director attached to Fox 2000 thriller

Fox 2000 has attached Ridley Scott to direct "Stones," a supernatural thriller scripted by Matt Cirulnick. Scott Free will produce.

Project is a big-scale supernatural thriller revolving around the mysterious destruction of ancient religious sites around the world. It turns out that Stonehenge is the tie that binds together artifacts that still have primeval powers.

Cirulnick got the assignment after scripting "Elysium" for New Regency, a film that weaves Greek mythology into a drama. He fixed on the idea that Stonehenge, the great pyramids and other artifacts were built for a specific unified purpose.

Pic will resume development after the Writers Guild of America strike concludes. Scott is busy directing Leonardo DiCaprio and Russell Crowe in "Body Of Lies" for Warner Bros., and he is expected to follow by moving with Crowe right into "Nottingham," the Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris-scripted drama for Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment.

"Stones" is Fox 2000's second recent Scott Free deal involving a directing assignment for the sibling helmers. Tony Scott just set up to direct a biopic on the life and death of cigarette boat inventor Don Aronow.

Skeleton FilmWorks