Ridley Scott

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2003, 11:14:03 AM

NEON MERCURY

ATTN: future camera men/women

for his films black hawk down and hannibal  he seems to use dirrferent lensing or somewthing while shooting these(black hawk down esp.)   ho does he achieve this effect?...........curious george asked me to ask this

MacGuffin

Ridley Scott's still doing the "Matchstick Men" rounds out there, and continues to talk up both it and his upcoming "Alien: Director's Cut" opening next month. Over the last few weeks he's mentioned minor details about his proposed "Crusades" epic now that "Tripoli" has fallen by the wayside, today he discussed it a little more with The San Bernardino County Sun: "It's a movie I've been thinking about for 20 years. It's going to take place in the middle of the Crusades, around 1130, 1136, and feature Saladin, a Muslim, who was the wisest of all the knights, a trustworthy man of his word. He kept the peace around Jerusalem, which was held by Baldwin, a Christian who believed that any religion should be able to come to the city and pray. The two men had a connection of respect. I don't want the movie to be about knights in armor and chaps charging around with red crosses and waving swords and hacking off heads. It really should be a fundamental discussion between the two religions and not only that, but the actual misrepresentation of the Holy Roman Empire by the Catholic church, which was in those times seriously corrupt. When they got down there, the people the church regarded as infidels had a faith that was as strong, if not stronger than the fundamental rules of Christianity". What comes after that? "It will be "Gladiator 2,' probably in '05. The script is done. It's very simply the next generation. Roman history is so exotic that where you go next is taking the son, Lucius, somewhere". There's also some talk about the additions to the "Alien" re-release: "I added 4 1/2 minutes of unseen material. There's more stuff at the alien's nest; you see where the crew members disappear to and you see their demise more vividly spelled out. Mainly though, it's an opportunity to reconfigure the negative digitally and get the bloody thing looking like it should for new generations that haven't seen it properly, i.e. on the big screen".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"King of Heaven" Next for Ridley Scott

Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox are mobilizing the Crusades-era epic "Kingdom of Heaven" for a January production start in Morocco.
The film will be Scott's next directorial effort and the first since he and brother Tony set their Scott Free banner to an overall Fox deal. Scott will also produce the William Monahan-scripted film.

The film is as ambitious as Scott's Oscar-winning Roman epic "Gladiator". Set in the 12th century, the drama focuses on a young blacksmith who becomes a knight and helps defend Jerusalem against the Crusaders. There is also a love story, as the young knight falls in love with a princess. Scott is actively casting and word is that "Lord of the Rings" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Orlando Bloom is atop the list.

Scott expressed the desire to make a film set around the Crusades last year. Scott was impressed by Monahan's script for "Tripoli", the story of how U.S. soldier William Eaton joined forces with an exiled king to overthrow the corrupt ruler of what is now Libya.

Scott planned to direct that pic but it got temporarily shelved, partly because he wanted to reteam with "Gladiator" star Russell Crowe, who had a scheduling conflict. The pic was slated to shoot in Morocco, but the timing wasn't good because of the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

A budget north of $100 million has just about been signed off on and Scott will begin casting immediately.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Director Ridley Scott on a Possible Alien 5
Source: The Star-Ledger, DVD Rama  

With Alien: The Director's Cut opening at the end of the month, Ridley Scott is talking about the re-release and also the possibility of him directing a fifth film.

The Star-Ledger says that Scott is in talks with 20th Century Fox and that he would take a less-is-more approach and return the franchise to its horror genre roots.

"I'd like to go back to do a tight movie, one-on-one," said Scott. "I think that's always scarier. When you get too many aliens, it diminishes the terror. It becomes an action movie, whereas ours was about flat-out terror."

The trade reports that he's also talking to James Cameron about the project.

Meanwhile, DVD Rama has up an interview with Scott written in French and here's a rough translation.

Fox and Sigourney Weaver contacted me, they wish to conclude the series by that which began it. But there is nothing advanced, we are not even really at the stage of the serious discussions. I do not know really what I could do... unless precisely turning over to the questions put in the first episode. From where does the vessel crushed on the planet comes from with this mysterious extraterrestrial inside? One could wonder whether they're used as weapons of massive destruction, which could threaten the Earth.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Keanu Reeves Replaces Russell Crowe in Tripoli
Source: Variety Monday, November 17, 2003

Keanu Reeves has replaced Russell Crowe in director Ridley Scott's Tripoli. However, 20th Century Fox has put the film into turnaround, and now co-financing companies are kicking the tires. The movie could have been Reeves' first big role after the "Matrix" trilogy.

Reeves is now attached to the story of how U.S. soldier William Eaton joined forces with an exiled king to overthrow the corrupt ruler of what is now Libya.

Screenwriter William Monahan wrote the script.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

Ridley Scott = Overated as hell.
Si

MacGuffin

Director Ridley Scott is Having A Good Year
Source: Variety

Ridley Scott will direct the adaptation of Peter Mayle's upcoming novel, A Good Year, for Fox 2000 and has signed Serendipity writer Marc Klein to pen the script.

A Good Year is the story of a failing London banker who moves to Provence after inheriting a vineyard, only to encounter a beautiful Californian who has her own claim on the estate. Knopf will publish the novel June 1.

Variety says Scott plans to make the film his next project. He is currently shooting the Crusades drama Kingdom of Heaven in Morocco with Orlando Bloom for 20th Century Fox.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SmellyBoobFungus

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumRidley Scott = Overated as hell.

agreed. for me, it was the imgination of giger's world that titilated my senses. regardless, he's still a good filmmaker and picks good subjects to film, but a bit overrated.
Guy with spoon: My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big. My spoon is too big.
Banana: I am a banana!

Rejected

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: SmellyBoobFungusagreed. for me, it was the imgination of giger's world that titilated my senses. regardless, he's still a good filmmaker and picks good subjects to film, but a bit overrated.

I think it's that he's so obsessed with visual perfection that the story suffers time and time again.  Every frame of every film he directs is flawless but DAMN, he needs to start paying attention to the story again.  I'm still burning about how bad Black Hawk Down was.  And don't get me started on Hannibal.

I haven't seen Matchstick Men mainly because of this.

You know it's bad when you're longing for the days of Thelma and Louise.   :?

But I have faith that he'll rock out Blade Runner/Alien style once again.

MacGuffin

Ridley May Return to ALIEN

MediasharX has a transcription of an interview with director Ridley Scott in which he mentions possible new Alien and Predator films. Here's clips from the article:

FW : Is Nicolas Cage an easy man to work with?
RS : Nic is the most gracious, giving, talented person one could hope to work with. He's so far removed from everything Hollywood represents. Best thing about Nic is he can do anything - anything..

FW : Do you think he tarnished his career by doing popcorn action movies?
RS : Not at all, money talks sir. If there's room for him in the new Alien movie, we'd love to get him. He's a guy that chooses the movies he does on the terms 'would he like to see this movie'?

FW: And what of the rumor of another Alien movie?
RS : We have been talking about doing another one for years. It's been a complex situation. At the end of the day, a studio has to be pleased, a core audience has to be pleased, and a director has to agree to all that. I am glad to say things are progressing...

FW : With you as Director?
RS: I don't think I'll be directing, but I will have some involvement. It'll probably be based on an idea I have, so I hope I'm asked to be involved.

FW : Can you talk about the idea?
RS : In broad terms, It's something for those folks that want to see Ridley's Journey come full circle and..

FW : Does that take her to the home planet of the Aliens?
RS : She won't necessarily see the home planet, but you might...

FW: Do you know when this will happen?
RS : Fox are waiting to see how Aliens vs Predator does, and then they'll do the Alien movie, and I believe a Predator film too. Again, if I'm involved in it, great, if not, then that's luck of the draw.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Talk talk talk. Get going already! A Scott produced Alien ought to revive the franchise from the garanteed death that is Alien Vs Predator.

MacGuffin

Scott on Alien 5, Gladiator 2
Ripley and Ridley re-team?

Towards the end of last year during IGN FilmForce's interview with Sigourney Weaver, the actress discussed the future possibility of re-teaming with the director of the original Alien film, Ridley Scott.

Today, FilmForce had the chance to pose the question directly to Scott. "She should have asked me the second time," Scott says with a tinge of resentment. The room laughs, but apparently Scott is serious that he was not asked to return for the second film. When asked to reiterate if he was ever asked, he smiled and answered with a resounding, "No."

All hope is not lost, although Scott's response as to whether he might ever consider returning was a pretty stock answer. "It's all to do with the material. If the script is great, of course."

As far as other Scott-based sequels go, a script is still in the works for a Gladiator sequel, although it's likely Scott would be aboard solely as producer. "We're trying to find a good solution for a sequel. [The script] is not quite there yet. Remember, there's no Maximus anymore, so I think the task is more difficult. There is a next generation idea, but the thing is, it's very loose at the moment."

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

I had previously felt that Ridley Scott was over-rated, that he was strong visually but weak with story.  It wasn't until Black Hawk Down that I started to appreciate his talent.  Black Hawk Down is one of the best war films of the past 20 years.  Gladiator, upon first viewing, seemed a little corny, but now that I've read a little more about Roman history, and seen the film again, I realize it's better than I first assumed.

I also watched Legend for the first time recently, which was certainly well-made.

Scott has a flair for staging epic battle sequences, so Kingdom of Heaven is perfectly suited to his strengths.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

Ridley Scott Considers Shadow Diving
An underwater exploration tale.

Ridley Scott's next film could be an underwater exploration tale, reports Empire Online. The accomplished director, whose historical epic Kingdom of Heaven is currently playing in theaters, has tentatively agreed to head up Shadow Diving for Fox 2000.

Shadow Diving, originally a book by Robert Kurson, is the factual tale of two wreck divers who discovered a sunken German U-boat from the Second World War in deep waters off the coast of New Jersey. The duo put together an exploration team and spent the next seven years uncovering the story behind the submarine and its occupants.

Fox 2000 recently purchased the story from Kurson and hired William Broyles (Cast Away, Apollo 13) to adapt it for the screen.

Shadow Diving will reportedly require a lot of preparatory work, so it's not certain if Scott will move on that once his current directing project, A Good Year, is complete. Scott was also expected to shoot the historical war film Tripoli next year, but that project currently appears to be on hiatus.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Good Year': Wine, woman and Crowe
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Russell Crowe is going from the boxing ring to the vineyards of France.

The actor is in discussions to star in Ridley Scott's next directorial effort, "A Good Year," for Fox 2000.

Adapted from a Peter Mayle novel by Marc Klein ("Serendipity"), "Good Year" follows a London banker who moves to Provence after inheriting a vineyard. But when he arrives, he meets a California woman who claims that she owns the place.

Scott is producing through his Scott Free Prods.

The film has a tentative September start date in Paris.

Skeleton FilmWorks