Ridley Scott

Started by MacGuffin, July 08, 2003, 11:14:03 AM

MacGuffin

Queen knights Gladiator director

Oscar-winning film director and producer Sir Ridley Scott has received his knighthood from the Queen at a ceremony at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday.

The man behind Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator was honoured for his services to the British film industry.

The 65-year-old said he was "stunned and truly humbled" to have been named a sir in the New Year's honours list.

"As a boy growing up in South Shields, I could never have imagined that I would receive such a special recognition," he said.

Sir Ridley Scott rose to fame with the 1979 film Alien, starring Sigourney Weaver, marking him out as a sci-fi film visionary.

Scott said: "I've just been re-editing Alien for re-issue later this year.

"We are digitally expanding it. I hadn't seen it for 15 years and it is still good - the original script was extremely dynamic."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

I wonder how Matchstick Men will be... I refer to it as "Ridley's 'Catch Me If You Can'"... a giant of giants making a small film about crime...

Nick

SoNowThen

Yes, my question as well...

Is Ridley poncing her? If so, good job, old chap.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

he looks kinda pleased.

my guess is he's stoned.

chainsmoking insomniac

Christ, he looks fuckin stoned out of his gourd!  :lol:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

©brad

its his wife. she cameos in a couple of his movies. in black hawk down, when the one guy calls home before they all go out to blow up brown ppl, the chick who comes into the house w/ all the groceries is her. also in hannibal she's the chick who checks the finderprints on the bracelet for mason verger- she's sitting at a laptop i think. yea she's pretty smoke. i wish i was ridley scott.

modage

incredibly eerie.  i was just thinking about starting a Ridley Scott thread THIS week since i was re-watching Blade Runner.  weird.  well, lets look at some of the career highlights...

-ALIEN (1979)
-BLADE RUNNER (1982)
-LEGEND (1985)
-BLACK RAIN (1989)
-THELMA AND LOUISE (1991)
-1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE (1992)
-WHITE SQUALL (1996)
-G.I. JANE (1997)
-GLADIATOR (2000)
-HANNIBAL (2001)
-BLACK HAWK DOWN (2001)

and the upcoming already mentioned MATCHSTICK MEN (2003).  i actually havent seen black rain, 1492, or white squall, anybody want to per/disuade me from seeing any of those?  alien and blade runner though is pretty fucking great back to back like that.  some of the cornerstones of modern science fiction films. he seemed to disappear for a few years, but seems to be back with a vengance making some pretty good movies.  he atleast seems to be more inspired than he was for a while.  really inventive camerawork in gladiator and bhd was great.  excited about mm.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

Does anybody know what Matchstick Men is about???  Or is there a thread that explains this?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

modage

A phobic con artist and his protege are on the verge of pulling off a lucrative swindle when the con artist's teenage daughter arrives unexpectedly.

TRAILER
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/matchstick_men/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

chainsmoking insomniac

Thanks.  This flick appears to be very funny.
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

Mesh

Quote from: themodernage02-WHITE SQUALL (1996)

It's hard for me to pinpoint what it was about White Squall that just didn't work.  It was ambitious and beautiful by turns, but....I dunno.  Just didn't do it for me.

Anyone wanna elaborate on that?

bonanzataz

Quote from: themodernage02A phobic con artist and his protege are on the verge of pulling off a lucrative swindle when the con artist's teenage daughter arrives unexpectedly.

TRAILER
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/matchstick_men/

hmmmm.... what does that remind me of... oh yeah, i remember!

my thoughts exactly, macaulay.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

oakmanc234

I'm looking forward to 'MM'. I remember watching the making of 'Hannibal' and it showed him while he was filming the 'pig attack' scene and he said something like 'I've got to do a comedy next'. But after 'Hannibal' he did 'Black Hawk Down'; his most violent film yet. I was like 'a Ridley Scott comedy, that'll be the day'.

And whattayaknow.......

Nic Cage...Sam Rockwell...Ridley Scott: Can't wait.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

rustinglass

I think GIJane totally sucks ass. I didn't even know it was Ridley Scott, I can't believe it!

Blade Runner is a masterpiece, his best film. The book is good too.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

aclockworkjj

Hannibal...I hate him.....fuck Ratner too....while we are at it!