TOP 10 2005

Started by modage, January 02, 2006, 05:14:12 PM

godardian

Quote from: samsong on February 05, 2006, 12:47:07 PM
no love for The New World, godardian?

It has gone unfortunately unseen by me... so far. Soon, very soon. Stupid homework impinges far too much on my ability to see the new stuff coming out. I also missed Walk the Line and King Kong.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

©brad

Quote from: godardian on February 05, 2006, 12:55:29 PM

It has gone unfortunately unseen by me... so far. Soon, very soon. Stupid homework impinges far too much on my ability to see the new stuff coming out. I also missed Walk the Line and King Kong.

if you have to pick one out of the two, see kong.

RegularKarate

Quote from: ©brad on February 05, 2006, 09:31:26 PM
Quote from: godardian on February 05, 2006, 12:55:29 PM

if you have to pick one out of the two, see kong.

He means if you're wanting to see the lesser of the two instead of the best of the year.

Knowing you, G, I'd say New World is the way to go (not that Kong doesn't have it's moments).

Redlum

1. Good Night and Good Luck
2. Brokeback Mountain
3. Syriana
4. Broken Flowers
5. The Constant Gardener
6. Factotum
7. Capote
8. Munich
9. Wallace and Grommit: Curse of the Were Rabbit.
10. Downfall

Still to see The Constant Gardener, Walk the Line and The New World
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

NEON MERCURY

the new wrold
the constant gardner
munich
star wars ep III
sin city
batman begins
king kong
dominion: prequel to the exocist
the 40 year old virgin

...i still havent seen good night...., downfall, capote, jarhead, syriana, lion/witch/wardrobe, cache, squid, history of violence, etc...

godardian

Quote from: pyramid machine on February 07, 2006, 02:37:06 PM

You're invited:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=3077.45

Quote from: pyramid machine on February 07, 2006, 02:37:06 PM...i still havent seen good night...., downfall, capote, jarhead, syriana, lion/witch/wardrobe, cache, squid, history of violence, etc...

I'm assuming you haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, either?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: godardian on February 07, 2006, 02:48:57 PM
Quote from: pyramid machine on February 07, 2006, 02:37:06 PM

You're invited:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=3077.45
:yabbse-grin:

Quote from: pyramid machine on February 07, 2006, 02:37:06 PM...i still havent seen good night...., downfall, capote, jarhead, syriana, lion/witch/wardrobe, cache, squid, history of violence, etc...

I'm assuming you haven't seen Brokeback Mountain, either?

i think people on this board are quick to call me a homophobe but thats not the case...i just think it will be glossed over hollywood cheese...i cannot buy into the fact that jake and heath are these characters...they both are douche bags....lee should have casted unknowns for material like this...i like lee a whole lot too.  the ice strom is umeasurable...

Jeremy Blackman

1. Palindromes
2. Syriana
3. Last Days
4. The New World
5. Sin City
6. Me and You and Everyone We Know
7. Kung Fu Hustle
8. A History of Violence
9. Brokeback Mountain
10. Capote

w/o horse

I keep putting this off but there's really nothing else I want to see although perhaps a few I should see.  Fuck it, I'm done with 2005 until I dig it up later in a time capsule which I've buried in my film yard.

one.  the new world.
two.  save the green planet.
three.  brokeback mountain.
four.  downfall.
five.  kiss kiss, bang bang.
six.  good night, and good luck.
seven.  mysterious skin.
eight.  cache.
nine.  four brothers.
ten.  land of the dead.

I need to see Where the Truth Lies sober, for those who remember and are confused as to where it is.  If any.  Whatever shut up.

Runners up include other movies that didn't make the list.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

ShanghaiOrange

Um.

1. The New World
2. Batman Begins
3. No Direction Home
4. Grizzly Man
5. Me You and Everyone We Know
6. A History of Violence
7. Broken Flowers
8. King Kong
9. 40-Year-Old Virgin
10. 3-Iron

I don't think the order's right and I honesty haven't seen half of the good movies this year. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cine

Top 15

1. Match Point
2. Munich
3. The Best of Youth
4. The New World
5. Junebug
6. Cinderella Man
7. Me and You and Everyone We Know
8. Turtles Can Fly
9. Save the Green Planet
10. Murderball
11. A History of Violence
12. King Kong
13. Brokeback Mountain
14. Grizzly Man
15. Crash

Alethia

a fucking herzog flick is only ONE higher than crash?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!!??!!???!!!?!?!

cine

jesus christ. when did crash become 2005's answer to Triumph of the Will?

i can't take this shit.

modage

maybe you should've done a top 14?

just kidding.  i like your list.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.