Film mentioned in "That Moment"...

Started by children with angels, March 07, 2005, 10:57:27 AM

Alethia

pta also mentions sidney lumet on the boogie nights commentary when talking to luis guzman.

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardpta also mentions sidney lumet on the boogie nights commentary when talking to luis guzman.

...who was in three Lumet films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

I Don't Believe in Beatles

PTA said Reds and Prince of the City were movies he saw when he was 12 that really made him want to go into the movie business.  Prince of the City was directed by Sidney Lumet.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Pubrick

Quote from: squintsLumet directed Serpico....I'm such a genius
for knowing obvious things.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ewardpta also mentions sidney lumet on the boogie nights commentary when talking to luis guzman.

...who was in three Lumet films.

yes he was...guzman, as i recall, cites lumet as a mentor or something along those lines...

squints

Quote from: Pubrick

sarcasm? anyone?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

mogwai

Quote from: squints

sarcasm? anyone?
nope.

squints

Quote from: mogwai

sarcasm? anyone?
nope.

shenanigans
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

its like coming to a new school, just show the bullies whose boss and they'll leave you alone.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

mogwai

Quote from: mogwai

sarcasm? anyone?
nope.

shenanigans
gesundheit!

MacGuffin

Quote from: squintssarcasm? anyone?

xixax only has 93% sarcasm now.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: squintssarcasm? anyone?

xixax only has 93% sarcasm now.

Could it be any less sarcastic?
WWPTAD?

children with angels

Need some help with the essay.

Can people think of a shot in Magnolia which is a CLEAR reference to another film? I'm not talking about moments when you can clearly see influences, like a long tracking shot looking like Scorcese or something, or the way he lights the game show stage kind of like Network, but I mean a shot that is clearly almost a recreation - or at least an obvious reference to - something else...?

Dunno about you guys, but I'm drawing a blank. Although, I've always thought of the high-angle shot of Earl on the bed, Phil standing up by it, with the 2001 music playing (just before Frank's intro) as a self-conscious, jokey nod to Kubrick and the scene with (2001: Space Odessy SPOILER) Dave seeing his older self die on the bed...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ultrahip

if you want a kind of obvious or maybe not demme influence, during the quiz show when the camera goes from top left corner swooping slowly down around to bottom right to reveal stanley's pissed pants, it's just like a shot in the courtroom in philadelphia of hanks in the witness/defendant/whatever you call it stand...wait what's your paper on?

ono

Quirky Delights in ... "That Moment."

I've watched this documentary so many times now, because this, along with the two Hard Eight and Boogie Nights commentaries, are the best film-school-in-a-box type things money can buy.  So many little things stand out.  Recently:

Philip Baker Hall stumbling over his game show question line in the rehearsal, then Jeremy Blackman NAILING the answer.  Silly old man.  Awkward.  Classic.

PTA humming that music when Daniel Lupi comes up the walkway.  "Here comes trouble."

PTA doing a PSH impersonation.  "This is a study in ham and cheese and how we ... corral." and "Now, Phil, I want you to do some sort of small, calming gesture, like ... light a fire, Phil.  And then Phil will do this..."  Paul mimes Phil trying to light the fire, shaking the stack of kindling, fucking with the cigar box, and Phil just HOWLS.  "Yeah, that's pretty accurate," he says, almost in tears.

PTA and Fiona pulling up to the premiere and then throwing a cigarette out the window.

PTA hugging Macy and Macy saying "Thanks for your call."  Those little things stand out.  I always wonder what that was about, just 'cause.

Macy saying, "You designed the poster, right?"  Paul nods, explains, then walks away.  "He developed the film, y'know?"  Macy deadpans to the camera.  "The lab did it, but he didn't like the work, so he sent it back.  (beat)  He ground the lenses."

Paul and Fiona's little sketch about Magnolia, the little bastard child movie that could.

'Nuff for now.