Spoon: Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga ~ THE BEST ALBUM OF 2007 (So Far)!

Started by modage, February 01, 2005, 10:32:15 PM

Rudie Obias

well, for me the best album of 2005 (so far) is bloc party.'s silent alarm....
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Stefen

I like that album too. The drummer for bloc party is so fucking good. How is he so good? I haven't been able to see them live cause they are playing all the indie festivals in redneck towns, but I want to. A very impressive album, not the best though, chump.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

modage

man, i saw spoon last night for the first time and they were AWESOME.  i didnt really have any idea what to expect but they sounded great.  and britt as a frontman was awesome.  like shuffling his feet around and stuff.  the songs were way dancier than i expected, like you could not stop moving throughout the whole show.  it was GREAT.  they also played a great setlist of every song i really wanted to hear and even songs which i dont care for as much on the album rocked hard live.  shaftr, you might like to know they came out to prince.  and i turn my camera on was  :shock:   cause you never really know with some of these 'indie' acts what their stage prescence (or lack thereof) will be but they were rocking like they pwned the place.  and they did, it was sold out.  see this band, now.  you will love them even more.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Slick Shoes

Largely due to this forum, I went out and bought Girls Can Tell, then Kill The Moonlight a week later. I had never heard Spoon prior to this. Girls is catchy enough. I should probably like it more than I do. Nothing really stands out on it for me. Just a bunch of decent songs. I willl dutifully continue to play it and hopefully it will grow. Moonlight, on the other hand, grabbed me from the start. Love it. Haven't heard anything from the new one yet. I wanted to start near the beginning. Anyway, thanks Mod for pushing this band and compelling me to seek them out. By the way, have you heard A Series of Sneaks? How is it?

modage

i'll be honest.  i got into them in 2002 when Kill The Moonlight came out and I was reading about it everywhere and downloaded Girls Can Tell which I did not get into for years.  it wasnt until recently that i replayed that stuff and really liked it.  a series of sneaks i think has a handful of good songs but for the most part is sort of skippable, (i've never even heard their debut album telephono).  so in my mind, spoons catalog starts with GCT where they sort of became the modern spoon.  the new cd is great, and you will like it.  hold onto GCT though, cause maybe not now, but someday you will get into it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

noyes

south america's my name.

Brazoliange

Long live the New Flesh

Slick Shoes

I saw these guys last night. It was a good show, sold out.

They rocked pretty hard. Highlights for me included the first three songs off Gimme Fiction (Beast and Dragon Adored, Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine, I Turn My Camera On.) My Mathematical Mind definitely benefitted from being played live. I was never a big fan of that song until last night. They also played some stuff from Girls Can Tell, like Me and the Bean. The crowd went nuts for Small Stakes and The Way We Get By, but that's no surprise. Mod, you are right, the songs are very danceable. Actually, I read somewhere that Britt Daniels' original intention was to make Gimme Fiction a dance album. Oddly, the crowd was very subdued throughout the evening. Mostly just a lot of headbobbing going on. It's not hard to see how these guys have achieved some success. They have a veritable arsenal of really solid songs.

Stefen

I think the album is fantastic. Not the best of the year, but it deserves recognition for one of the best of the year. It's so much different than kill the moonlight. I had alot of fun with kill the moonlight, but never really spent time with it, as in pacing around the living room listening to it, just playing it during hangouts and in the backgrounds. Gimme Fiction has me pacing, The Beast And Dragon, Adored is a great opener, really sets the mood for the album. I think my favorite track is my mathematical mind, it's just really fun and reallyyyy good.  I wish it was a little longer, but who really needs filler? Good album.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

Quote from: themodernage02i'll be honest.  i got into them in 2002 when Kill The Moonlight came out and I was reading about it everywhere and downloaded Girls Can Tell which I did not get into for years.  it wasnt until recently that i replayed that stuff and really liked it.  a series of sneaks i think has a handful of good songs but for the most part is sort of skippable, (i've never even heard their debut album telephono).  so in my mind, spoons catalog starts with GCT where they sort of became the modern spoon.  the new cd is great, and you will like it.  hold onto GCT though, cause maybe not now, but someday you will get into it.

You've gotta get "Telophono".  If for nothing else than the song "Plastic Mylar", which is my favorite Spoon song there is.  And I agree about "Series of Sneaks"... a little bit of cream amidst the filler.  I haven't heard the new album yet, but I'm hoping there's a little more of a return to the rock edge that they stepped away from on "Kill The Moonlight" (not that there was anything wrong with that).
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

So I was thinking I might pick this up tomorrow. I have no idea what it - or the band - sounds like. Albums referenced in this thread, perhaps not in relation to this album whatsoever but referenced nonetheless and thus comparable in a subconscious manner, include DMB (who I nearly hate) and Fiona Apple (who I adore beyond reason) and Ryan Adams (who puts me to sleep) and Sujifan Stevens (who I love).

However, I haven't bought enough albums this year, and this seems popular and the cover is cool, so I'm going to follow the crowd and try it out.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyDMB (who I nearly hate) and Fiona Apple (who I adore beyond reason) and Ryan Adams (who puts me to sleep) and Sujifan Stevens (who I love).
they are nothing like any of those.

the crowd is wrong on this one i'm afraid.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyHowever, I haven't bought enough albums this year, and this seems popular and the cover is cool, so I'm going to follow the crowd and try it out.
they're from texas!  you will love it.  not in a mindblowingly radiohead way, but in a damn, i've only bought one other cd this year and this one is even better than that one kinda way.  be sure to give us your impressions in this thread.