Roxy Music

Started by European Son, November 06, 2003, 09:30:59 PM

European Son

Don't ask me how, but I'm just now getting into Roxy Music. I recently bought the Old Gray Whistle Test DVD comprised of the best performances from the show and came across Roxy Music performing "Do The Strand". I was hooked as it's right down my alley. I purchased the first Roxy Music album and have enjoyed it quite a bit. My question to those experienced Roxy Music listeners here is what next? Do I go for the other Brian Eno era Roxy album or buy what is considered their masterpiece (or so I've read) Country Life? Which is better, Roxy with Eno or Roxy sans Eno?

Speaking of Eno, what a genius. I just realized the other day how much he has been involved in so much music that I like. Roxy Music, Bowie Berlin trilogy, Talking Heads, U2.....what hasn't that guy done?

meatwad

MacGuffin

Quote from: European SonMy question to those experienced Roxy Music listeners here is what next?

"Avalon"

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Vile5

Yesssssssssssss AVALON is great, Roxy Music for me is synonymous with beauty..
in fact Roxy Music has an special meaning for me, when i listen to Bryan Ferry's voice i remember my brother singing with his eyes shut and sometimes dancing around the house, now everytime i listen to Avalon (the song) i close the door of my bedroom, turn down the lights, close my eyes and try to remember my brother and then i feel how that beautiful song transpose to me to other world so far away from here with peace and good vibrations...i love Roxy Music

and yes Eno is a genius
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

godardian

Surprisingly, Roxy without Eno (and Eno's solo albums) are both slightly preferable to the first two Eno-inclusive Roxy records, though it's all gorgeous and necessary music.

I would recommend Country Life or Siren (particularly "She Sells") as the very peak of Roxy Music, but do try to hear it all, at least all the seventies stuff (I'm not a huge Avalon fan, myself).

You should also give the Sparks albums from the same mid-seventies era a try... Bowie, T. Rex, Sparks, and Roxy were a musical juggernaut the likes of which have never undermined the pop charts since...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

European Son

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I decided to buy their second album next, followed by Country Life and then Avalon. I guess I prefer to discover bands chronologically. Or I can't get enough Eno.

godardian

Quote from: European SonThanks for the suggestions, everyone. I decided to buy their second album next, followed by Country Life and then Avalon. I guess I prefer to discover bands chronologically. Or I can't get enough Eno.

The second album does have "In Every Dream Home a Heartache," which is a fantastic tune.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

freakerdude

Brian Ferry is one suave mo' fo'!
MC Pee Pants

European Son

Quote from: freakerdudeBrian Ferry is one suave mo' fo'!
Is it true that Mick Jagger stole Jerry Hall from him?

godardian

Quote from: European Son
Quote from: freakerdudeBrian Ferry is one suave mo' fo'!
Is it true that Mick Jagger stole Jerry Hall from him?

Could be. Hall was Ferry's girlfriend at the time of the Siren album (one of their must-haves), and was on the cover:

Vile5

Quote from: European SonIs it true that Mick Jagger stole Jerry Hall from him?

i heard the same
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

MacGuffin

Eno not working on new Roxy Music album

Contrary to British reports, Brian Eno is not rejoining Roxy Music for the group's first new studio album since 1982's classic "Avalon."

According to the authoritative EnoWeb site (http://music.hyperreal.org/artists/brian_eno/), the reports are "untrue and just in-good-faith wishful thinking from the journalists -- Brian has no involvement with the band's current recording or tour plans. All that happened was that Brian popped in to visit the members of the group when they were in the studio."

The official Web site (http://www.bryanferry.com) for Roxy Music frontman Bryan Ferry had also reported the Eno news but any mention of his participation has now been removed.

After a 15-year hiatus, Roxy Music reunited, sans Eno, for live dates in the summer of 2001. According to Ferry's site, the group is also working on a remix album featuring "various DJs and producers ... putting their own spin on Roxy and Ferry's back catalog."

The unsourced Eno/Roxy Music reunion story was published last Friday by U.K. Web site http://www.ananova.com.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

noyes

Love Roxy Music. I had gotten into them just awhile ago as well (about four months) when I was getting heavily into Eno.
(my avatar might still be of him... yeah it is.)
Country Life is certainly an amazing record. Avalon is as well.
And take Godardian's advice, if you haven't already, please listen to Sparks
that band devoured my life about a month and a half ago.
i'm still soaking it in.
A Woofer in a Tweeter's Clothing is my favorite record.
I thought it would be Kimono My House after listening to it first, but surprisingly the latter is superb. a real treasure of an album.
south america's my name.