Film Trailers

Started by Recce, February 07, 2003, 10:43:14 PM

Victor

Quote from: RegularKarate.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned boycotts?

im with you man, lawyers are the scum of the fucking earth, all these frivolous lawsuits are killing the spirit of the country, freedom of speech is even disappearing. people should start taking responsibility for themselves and try to actually change things instead of just juicing the system for a few bucks. AIDS would probably have been cured already if it werent for all those bullshit malpractice suits, all that shit is just holding everything back. What if Rosa Parks decided to sue the bus company instead of the boycott, what the fuck good would that have done?
are you gonna eat with us too?

Recce

Quote from: cbrad4dThe commercials kind of piss me off. Why don't they play them continuously before the film time starts for people who get there early. I rather watch a couple more trailers in place of the commercials.

They will, at least in Famous Players theatres, in Canada. They're setting up video projectors that will play a DVD cramed with advertising, which will replace the slide projector shows that currently play. As for the commercials, they'll still be there, but, for the most part, there's only one or 2, spanning all of 1 minute. Only around Christmas does it get really crazy. I've seen it go up to 10 minutes. I don't like it either, but you can't really blame the theatres. How would you react if Playstation drove up to your house with a dumptruck full of money so they could show a 30 second commercial before a film? They got to make their money somehow. Those big megaplexes don't pay for themselves, you know. Often times it takes over 10 and 15 years for one of them to make profit.

The commercials are also a bitch to maintain. The companies that pay for these adds are so annoying. They change their minds about what they want up or don't want up or in which order they want them practically every week. So, if you're a projectionist, you have to go around and take down all the commercials and put up the new ones, then they decide they want the old ones back or some shit and you have to do it all over again. Damn companies. We should be blaming them.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Duck Sauce

I remember there was a mitsubishi (sp?) commercial before a movie awhile back that had James Brown and the lyrics "stay on the scene, like a sex machine" and next time I went it was changed to "stay on the scene, like a lovin machine" in the exact same part

Ghostboy

I'm a projectionist too, and those ads are indeed a bitch to deal with. On the other side, here's an article that was just posted on Yahoo...

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - High school teacher Miriam Fisch wants those four minutes of her life back -- and she thinks Loews Cineplex ought to pay for their alleged theft. In a class-action lawsuit filed in Illinois state court on behalf of all Loews patrons, the Chicago-area English teacher claims the theater circuit's policy of playing pre-film product commercials amounts to a deceptive business practice because the ads begin at the time advertised as the start of a feature movie.

The rest of the article is here: http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=business&cat=advertising_and_marketing_news

RegularKarate

Hey Ghostboy:

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=417&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Keep an eye out for the post MAC made... the one that started this topic.

bonanzataz

The two trailers I've watched the most were definitely Hedwig (about 100 times) and PDL (probably about 50 times). I probably watched them both a lot more AFTER I saw the films than before, just holding my breath, waiting for the videos (with PDL I just saw it in theaters a whole lot, but it looks like I'm going to have to d/l an academy screener now that I'm about to leave England and the DVD is delayed).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Xeditor

What about those trailers that show a whole bunch of scenes that weren't even put into the final version of the movie.  That really pisses me off.  And also when the movie ends up being completely different than the movie really is, its like they knew the movie was horrible, so they "false advertised" in the trailer to intise people to see something they the would never get.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Derek

Quote from: XeditorWhat about those trailers that show a whole bunch of scenes that weren't even put into the final version of the movie.  That really pisses me off.  And also when the movie ends up being completely different than the movie really is, its like they knew the movie was horrible, so they "false advertised" in the trailer to intise people to see something they the would never get.

Like Gus Van Sant's Psycho.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

sphinx

Quote from: XeditorWhat about those trailers that show a whole bunch of scenes that weren't even put into the final version of the movie.  That really pisses me off.  And also when the movie ends up being completely different than the movie really is, its like they knew the movie was horrible, so they "false advertised" in the trailer to intise people to see something they the would never get.

other than psycho, what movies do that?

bonanzataz

I still know what you did last summer.

That took a lot longer to type than i thought it would.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: XeditorAnd also when the movie ends up being completely different than the movie really is, its like they knew the movie was horrible, so they "false advertised" in the trailer to intise people to see something they the would never get.

other than psycho, what movies do that?

I'd say the Changing Lanes trailer was different than the final film. Not to say it was horrible and they marketed it to cover that up, just that they tried to draw a different crowd.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

A lot of times trailers use clips not in the film to show more of the story in less time.

The funniest example of this is The Negotiator.  There's a scene in the trailer where Kevin Spacey says something like "Now you have both of us to deal with" giving away the fact that Sam Jackson and he team up together towards the end.  Thing is, that line isn't even in the movie.

oakmanc234

Trailers I love:

Pulp Fiction
Magnolia (full trailer)
Black Hawk Down (the one with Moby in it)
Episode II (final trailer)
Punch-Drunk Love
Vanilla Sky
Man on the Moon
Ali (trailer 2)
Gangs of New York (trailer 1)
X-Men (trailer 2)
The Matrix (full trailer)
Dogma (full trailer)
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

imnotforsale

Some great trailers:

Magnolia
Vanilla Sky
American History X
Saving Private Ryan
Road to Perdition
Punch Drunk Love
The Usual Suspects
The Shawshank Redemption
American Beauty

El Duderino

great trailers:

Magnolia (teaser and full)
American Beauty
Vanilla Sky
Se7en
Fight Club
American History X
Punch Drunk Love
Boogie Nights
Kill Bill
The Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs

Hey, is anyone else insanely disturbed by the trailer and the thought of "The Mask 2: Son of the Mask"? Also, the Jersey Girl trailer makes me want to vomit.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?