Outkast Double CD Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Started by Banky, September 11, 2003, 10:30:04 PM

Banky

Quote from: GhostboyFuck it, they're all regoddamndiculously amazing!

nicely put

Banky

Newtron

Umm, I think Dracula's Wedding is the highlight of this piece.

Ghostboy

I was just reading the cover story about them in Complex, and it had a little bit of info about their HBO movie. They're doing it like the album, it'll be two hour long films starring and co-written by each one individually. Big Boi's is about some time travelling gangsters and Andre's is (this is sooo perfect) a mortician who falls in love with a corpse. I might have to get HBO just to watch this. Or at least go over to a friend's house.

Banky

Quote from: GhostboyAndre's is (this is sooo perfect) a mortician who falls in love with a corpse. I might have to get HBO just to watch this. Or at least go over to a friend's house.

that sounds about right

Banky

RegularKarate

Quote from: NewtronUmm, I think Dracula's Wedding is the highlight of this piece.

I have to agree here.  It's just so fuckin' nuts

Banky

Pedro

Banky

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatfuck stankonia
i was gonna make a cheap joke about parental advisory music and your age but im not gonna because that wouldnt be very nice.

Ghostboy

Sleuth

I liked the thing from the Onion that shows them on Leno with the caption

"OutKast Universally Accepted"
I like to hug dogs

Banky

Gold Trumpet

I'll comment here finally. With Dre's album, overall it is magnificent in most of the songs it can create. I have problems with some of the songs in being ripped of higher potential, but magnificence everywhere for the most part. I think my major complaint is that with all the variety, the album lacks the feeling of being a whole album, as if came from one mind thought lyrically and sound wise. Lyrically, you could argue that it comes from the point of view of "soulful observance" by Dre, but so many other albums could say that with just writing typical songs. I wish Dre would have dug deeper for something more complete. Some great songs are on display, but the albums feels like a display of songs only.

And to comment on songs ripped of potential, the most obvious for me is Vibrate. The chorus was some of the best words on the entire album, but juiced to the max on repeat. The song also was intruding with the layer of hip hop beats to a backing band of some very classical music. I just wish Dre would have explored lyrically more and have exploded with the classical music for higher texture. With Love in War, the beats are good, but what is more banal in modern music than preaching love instead of war? A lot of times on the album, Dre's observation is fickle to the point where you wish he had an overall idea or plan to drive the album. The album is still wonderful and has been in my cd nearly forever, but it misses on being a masterpiece for these reasons. Genius is with Dre still.

I honestly have listened little to Big Boi's disc. Maybe in the next year or so.

~rougerum

RegularKarate

To all the Big Boi haters: Quit being so white and predictable... it's good shit.