PINK FLOYD

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 07, 2003, 11:34:14 PM

Cecil

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedim a fan of syd barretts solo stuff as well. "wouldnt you miss me at all?" yes.

I was not even aware of such solosinphonic treasures....

Spill the beans, help me out....albums, names, the works!  I like pretty much all of floyd, but I probably perfer the Barrett stuff better...would love to here his solo stuff....

there are three solo albums: madcap laughs, barrett, and opel. i prefer madcap better, but i havent heard the others as many times. the great thing is that some of the other "takes" are on the albums themselves, at the end, with mistakes, false starts, singing out of tune. its really great. you can order off amazon

aclockworkjj

cool deal cecil,  thanks...

NEON MERCURY

yeah.......i have to agree that post waters floyd really iis kida a let down ...i mean there are some good songs and gilmour is great 'n all but nothing they have done measures up to when waters was present....my 2 fav. albums are the wall and the final cut............and they are pretty much waters sol albums w/pink floyd as the band..really good stuff(esp..final cut).......i love all the psychodelic sounding floyd.during syd's era .piper is genius and .....and i lke meddle and saucerfull of secrets........echoes.....is brilliant.....THAT one song is pure early floyd in a nutshell to me......they are other great songs also....but waters was/is the man...if there are ANY fans who enjoy the wall and the final cut.........YOU MUST GO OUT AND GET THE ROGER WATERS SOLO ALBUM.......THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCHIKING.........this is unparralled in a way......its stays in the same vein as the wall and final cut(i.e.......concepts album, dramatic, every song flows together, must listen in one sitting, etc..)..........and as a bonus the musicians on this motha'..are clapton ...who sheds the ever living crap out of that guitar.and there is also sax extroadanairre david sanborne.........hopefullysomeof you guys have this ..........if so what do you think...............?

...also get amused to death and radio kaos.......and his solo dvd tour.in the flesh....

Cecil

waters' solo stuff is good, but some songs arent as great as others. "who needs information" and "what god wants" are very very good songs

Mesh

Quote from: aclockworkjjRelics is my fav....

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedopel

Both of those are really more like compilations than cohesive studio albums.  But I'm just splitting hairs, there, so....

Ranking Pink Floyd Albums:

1.  The Dark Side of the Moon
2.  Meddle
3.  Wish You Were Here
4.  The Wall
5.  The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
6.  A Saucerful of Secrets
7.  Animals
8.  Ummagumma
9.  Atom Heart Mother
10.  The Final Cut
11.  Obscured by Clouds
12.  A Momentary Lapse of Reason
13.  The Division Bell

#s 2 thru 6 are all such tough calls, though, and could be mixed up and still be satisfactory to me.

Lucinda Bryte

Floyd are my favorite band. I love them.

The Wall used to be the soundtrack to my life...

I can't wait for Pompeii on DVD.

Mesh

Quote from: Lucinda BryteFloyd are my favorite band. I love them.

1.  What's your favorite song from The Wall?

2.  What's your favorite Pink Floyd song ever?

3.  Rank their albums.

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: Lucinda BryteFloyd are my favorite band. I love them.

1.  What's your favorite song from The Wall?

2.  What's your favorite Pink Floyd song ever?

3.  Rank their albums.

1. Hey You

2. Man there are way too many... It depends on my mood. I'm on a "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "Interstellar Overdrive" binge right now. Oh and "Cymbaline" also.

3. I seriously cannot do that. It really depends on my mood.

MacGuffin

Pink Floyd Releasing Documentary DVD
The secrets behind Dark Side of the Moon are being revealed in a brand new DVD to be released later this month (Aug. 26)

The members of Pink Floyd (past & present) are putting out a new DVD that will explain the truth behind their epic Dark Side of the Moon. Titled Dark Side of the Moon Classic Album, the video will break down the album song by song. Former Floyd band member Roger Waters, current members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Rick Wright, and Dark Side producer Alan Parsons will then offer commentary about each of its 9 songs.

In addition to the bands explanations, the DVD will feature bonus footage that includes Gilmour's acoustic rendition of Breathe and Waters doing a very "stripped-down" version of Brain Damage Early in 2003 Roger Waters told Rolling Stone that the album was very much the result of original Floyd singer & frontman Syd Barrett's departure from the band in 1969 due to mental illnes. "There is a residue of Syd in all of this," he said. "Syd had been the central creative force in the early days, and so his having succumbed to schizophrenia was an enormous blow. For me, it was very much, 'There but for the Grace of God go I.'"

"It's very hard to analyze what makes things work," Gilmour told Rolling Stone of the album"Roger had fantastic drive, and a very good brain for lyrics. He was a very driving, creative force. And I suppose I would say that I had a much better sense of musicality than he did."

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

thanks for the info.........

i like DSOTM  ..but i like the wall and the final cut more...(they are my two Fav.)......i wish they would do something for the final cut along these lines......that album is deeeeeeeep....

Lucinda Bryte

Quote from: MacGuffinPink Floyd Releasing Documentary DVD
The secrets behind Dark Side of the Moon are being revealed in a brand new DVD to be released later this month (Aug. 26)

The members of Pink Floyd (past & present) are putting out a new DVD that will explain the truth behind their epic Dark Side of the Moon. Titled Dark Side of the Moon Classic Album, the video will break down the album song by song. Former Floyd band member Roger Waters, current members David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Rick Wright, and Dark Side producer Alan Parsons will then offer commentary about each of its 9 songs.

In addition to the bands explanations, the DVD will feature bonus footage that includes Gilmour's acoustic rendition of Breathe and Waters doing a very "stripped-down" version of Brain Damage Early in 2003 Roger Waters told Rolling Stone that the album was very much the result of original Floyd singer & frontman Syd Barrett's departure from the band in 1969 due to mental illnes. "There is a residue of Syd in all of this," he said. "Syd had been the central creative force in the early days, and so his having succumbed to schizophrenia was an enormous blow. For me, it was very much, 'There but for the Grace of God go I.'"

"It's very hard to analyze what makes things work," Gilmour told Rolling Stone of the album"Roger had fantastic drive, and a very good brain for lyrics. He was a very driving, creative force. And I suppose I would say that I had a much better sense of musicality than he did."

As much as I would love that... I think part of the mystique of DSotM will be ruined.

aclockworkjj

animals....yummy all over.  I love a dog.

MacGuffin

Pink Floyd Kids Need Some Compensation

A group of thirtysomethings who sang on the anthemic Pink Floyd hit Another Brick In The Wall as schoolchildren 25 years ago could pick up thousands of pounds in unpaid royalties.

The former pupils of Islington Green School in north London were roped into recording part of the classic in 1979 because the Britannia Row recording studios were just around the corner.

Now one member of the 12 who were involved has made a claim to access royalties due to session musicians for all broadcasts of the song since 1997.

Peter Thorpe, 38, said: "'We were just taken to the studios and it was great fun.

"I didn't realise royalties were owed. I'm very glad to be in a position to claim them."

A royalties agent who is processing Peter Thorpe's claim hopes others will now join in.

Peter Rowan, of Edinburgh-based RBL Music, said the money would not be paid by the band or its record company, but from a fund that is paid into by broadcasters when they play songs.

It is available under copyright legislation introduced in 1997.

"It's a legal right and the money is building up," Mr. Rowan said.

"There's probably around five or six thousand pounds there already, so they would get a few hundred each."

He tracked down London-based Mr. Thorpe through the website Friends Reunited and also contacted three of four others from the original group, although none of them were interested in claiming the cash.

Teacher Alun Renshaw secretly ferried the children from Islington Green School in north London into the studio without telling head teacher Margaret Maden.

She later banned the youngsters from appearing on Top of the Pops.

The song attracted controversy for the chorus sung by the children: "We don't need no education/ We don't need no thought control/ No dark sarcasm in the classroom/ Teachers, leave them kids alone."

"It was seen as being quite improper," said the school's present head teacher, Trevor Averre-Beeson.

The school has a platinum record of the song and got a cheque for £1,000 at the time.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Rock band Pink Floyd's classic line-up will be reunited on stage for the first time in 24 years at next month's Live 8 concert in London.

Roger Waters will join band members Dave Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright for the show in Hyde Park.

Waters last performed on stage with them at London's Earls Court in 1981.

The Live 8 concert, organised by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to help fight African poverty, is one of five taking place around the world on 2 July.

Pink Floyd join a star-studded line-up at Hyde Park which includes Madonna, REM, U2, Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Elton John, Coldplay and Robbie Williams.

"Like most people I want to do everything I can to persuade the G8 leaders to make huge commitments to the relief of poverty and increased aid to the third world," said Pink Floyd's Dave Gilmour.

"Any squabbles Roger and the band have had in the past are so petty in this context, and if reforming for this concert will help focus attention then it's got to be worthwhile," he added.

Legendary

Pink Floyd are viewed as being one of the biggest rock bands of all time.

The group released their first record in 1967, with founding member Syd Barrett on lead guitar, alongside Waters, Mason and Wright.

At the beginning of 1968, guitarist Dave Gilmour - a friend of the band - was brought in as a fifth member. Barrett left the group shortly afterwards.

The remaining four members achieved legendary status with albums such as 1973's The Dark Side Of The Moon, which stayed in the US album chart for more than a decade.

Fans have long yearned for a reunion of the classic Pink Floyd line-up of Waters, Gilmour, Mason and Wright, but it seemed unlikely because of a fall-out between founder member Waters and the rest of the group in the mid-1980s.

Gilmour, Mason and Wright continued to record and tour as Pink Floyd during the remainder of the 80s and into the 90s, releasing their last studio album - The Division Bell - in 1994.

Just Withnail

Then I guess I'll be going to London.