Fav. sports film(huh?)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 27, 2003, 09:09:19 PM

NEON MERCURY

Man...nobody seems to talk much about them ..I guess they are few and far between..I think most are not the athletic type (maybe?)...But  two films one based on baseball and one based on football are hallmarks in this cheese-ed out genre.

1.)Any Given Sunday-Stone did this film just like the game of ootball itself Fast, and hardcore , and loud, full of adrenaline..loved this film really good stuf here.

2.)Field of Dreams-this film needs to be revisited ......criterion.... or the studio should put out a 2-disk se...

what about you guys?
or could you care less?

or maybe you tried out sports and you sucked and since then you have a vendetta out against anything sports? :wink:

MacGuffin

Others:
Raging Bull
He Got Game
Pride Of The Yankees
Hoosiers
Rudy
The Rookie
Eight Men Out
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Man..as soon i saw that MacGuffin  responded i was surely expecting a redirect..but good call- Hoop dreams :yabbse-thumbup: ...and forgot to mention the film raging bull you can sandwich that between any given Sunday and Field of dreams.......

aclockworkjj

I like Caddyshack.... :lol:

Others I like...The Program, Bull Durham, 61, Bend it Like Beckham, The Bad News Bears..

Field of Dreams is probably my fav though, and yes, they really need to re-release that.

NEON MERCURY

Caddyshack was great....but the sequel landed right in the bunker(i am funny would you agree....::standing in front of a microphone w/ a crowd of millions::  "thank you ..I will be here all week" )

ono

I didn't care too much for Hoop Dreams, myself.  Thought it was bloated and a bit manipulative (something documentaries shouldn't try to be, IMO -- I'm more of a cinema verite kind of guy).  Among my favorites are The Sandlot, Pistol: The Birth of a Legend, and White Men Can't Jump.  Rudy, Hoosiers, and Bend it Like Beckham are great, too.

oakmanc234

'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

EL__SCORCHO

Bull Duram, there's an H in the title somewhere.

Ernie

I have always wanted to see Hoop Dreams...hope it gets a dvd soon. Ebert always gets me all pumped up to just go for the vhs...he's a very powerful man.

raging bull
the bad news bears
big wednesday (surfing a sport?)
he got game
white men can't jump
happy gilmore
the sandlot
remember the titans

Pwaybloe

Some favorites:

The Natural
Ali
Raging Bull
Any Given Sunday
Super Surfer Sluts 3

rustinglass

I like point break.
and there is another about surf : a an ex-surfer is in a cave telling his grand-kids about how surfing was cool before the nuclear winter.....what's the name?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

I don't really think of Raging Bull as a boxing movie so much....

so: Major League, Tin Cup, Slap Shot, Necessary Roughness, Rudy, Field Of Dreams, Hoosiers
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: NEON MERCURYMan...nobody seems to talk much about them ..I guess they are few and far between..I think most are not the athletic type (maybe?)...But  two films one based on baseball and one based on football are hallmarks in this cheese-ed out genre.

1.)Any Given Sunday-Stone did this film just like the game of ootball itself Fast, and hardcore , and loud, full of adrenaline..loved this film really good stuf here.

2.)Field of Dreams-this film needs to be revisited ......criterion.... or the studio should put out a 2-disk se...

what about you guys?
or could you care less?

or maybe you tried out sports and you sucked and since then you have a vendetta out against anything sports? :wink:

You took the words out of my mouth man.  Field of Dreams must be revisited.  And let's not forget The Natural.  

I just blind bought Any Given Sunday on VHS....I'll get to it one of these days.  

Oh, and Major League is one of my guilty pleasures.  :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

Alethia