What the hell is wrong with Tom Cruise?

Started by filmcritic, July 22, 2003, 03:34:31 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Alexandro on August 24, 2006, 07:19:09 PM
a world in which guys like Peter Jackson and McG and Michael Bay and Brett Ratner are kings.
geez, take it easy on PJ will you, Talent Guy? that statement says a lot about this Talent Guy's perception, i guess the bottom line for him is money too, since that's all he knows about PJ. other than that, good gossip! i can't wait to bring it up at my sewing circle jerk.
under the paving stones.

Ultrahip

Isn't "Sumner Redstone" a great name? It's like Chest or Brock.

Ravi

Quote from: Ultrahip on August 25, 2006, 05:50:22 PM
Isn't "Sumner Redstone" a great name? It's like Chest or Brock.

At first I read it as "Summer" and I thought that he was a teenage girl.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060825/en_celeb_eo/19847

Cruise Not a Popularity Contest Winner
By Sarah Hall Fri Aug 25, 3:48 PM ET

It seems Sumner Redstone is not alone in his distaste for Tom Cruise's couch-jumping conduct.

On the heels of Paramount Pictures' decision not to renew Cruise's production deal comes word that the Mission: Impossible star's popularity ratings are down. Way down.

According to Marketing Evaluations Incorporated, the company that calculates the Q scores which measure a given celebrity's likeability factor, the public's positive perception of Cruise has fallen by 40 percent, while the negative perception of the actor has jumped a whopping 100 percent.

How did this happen? Let's revisit some of Cruise's most memorable moments over the last year and a half.

# The birth of TomKat, April 2005: Cruise jets to Italy to pick up a lifetime achievement award; much to the world's collective confusion,
Katie Holmes accompanies him and the two engage in plenty of public canoodling.

# The passion of TomKat, May 2005: Cruise uses
Oprah Winfrey's couch as a platform from which to trumpet his love for Holmes.

# The wrath of TomKat, May 2005: Cruise criticizes
Brooke Shields for her "irresponsible" use of antidepressants to treat her postpartum depression.

# The wrath of TomKat, part 2, June 2005: Cruise calls Matt Lauer "glib" for suggesting that drugs such as Paxil and
Ritalin might be beneficial in some cases, and calls the TV host out on his lack of knowledge about psychiatry, a subject in which Cruise claims to be well-versed.

# The engagement of TomKat, June 2005: Cruise jets to Paris with Holmes in tow; they scale the Eiffel Tower, where he pops the question; Cruise then announces momentous event at press conference.

# The aftermath of the wrath of TomKat, July 2005: Shields rebuts Cruise's remarks by penning an op-ed in the New York Times slamming his "ridiculous rant" against psychiatry.

# The reproduction of TomKat, October 2005: The betrothed couple announce that they have conceived an offspring.

# The OB/GYN skills of TomKat, November 2005: Cruise tells Barbara Walters he has purchased a sonogram machine to perform at-home ultrasounds on Holmes. The American College of Radiology objects and a California lawmaker is inspired to author a bill banning the use of such machines by anyone except trained professionals.

# The birth of TomKitten, April 2006: Cruise and Holmes announce the birth of their daughter, Suri, whose name supposedly means "princess" in Hebrew and "red rose" in Persian. Not to mention "pickpocket" in Japanese.

# The box-office effect of TomKat, May 2006: Mission: Impossible III opens below industry expectations, though still going on to gross a respectable $393 million worldwide.

# The power of TomKat, June 2006: Forbes magazine touts Cruise as the world's most powerful famous person.

# The privacy of TomKat, July 2006: Some four months after her birth, Suri has yet to make her public debut, though an elite few can claim to have laid eyes on her.

# The downsizing of TomKat, August 2006: Paramount Pictures decides not to renew its production deal with Cruise and producing partner Paula Wagner. Viacom head honcho Sumner Redstone tells the Wall Street Journal that Cruise's "recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

So, what's not to like? Nothing, according to Cruise's attorney, Bert Fields.

"What was his personal conduct?" Fields asked in an interview with the New York Post. "Jumping on a couch on Oprah Winfrey because he's in love with Katie Holmes? That really deserves the death penalty?

"Or speaking out against mood-altering drugs for children? That's a real reason for the [Viacom] shareholders to be deprived of billions of dollars?"

Perhaps not, but it does provide insight into how Cruise could have become less appealing in the eyes of the general public.

Meanwhile, Wagner has also spoken out in defense of her business crony (whom she likes, anyway), calling Redstone's remarks "graceless," "undignified," and "not businesslike."

"I ask, what is his real agenda? What is he trying to do? Is this how you treat artists?" Wagner raged to the Los Angeles Times. "If I were another actor or filmmaker, would I work at a studio that takes one of their greatest assets and publicly does this?"

Cruise has yet to speak up on his own behalf. However, Wagner stated that the producing partners would be just fine without Paramount and had already secured $100 million in independent financing from two hedge funds.

Even so, the question remains of what will happen to the projects Cruise/Wagner Productions had already developed for Paramount.

The producing partners had stockpiled a number of scripts for the studio, many as potential starring vehicles for Cruise. Negotiations over the projects could get tricky, given Paramount's relatively new conditions for pictures put into turn-around, including the requirement that the studio be fully reimbursed and receive coproduction rights.

According to Daily Variety, some of the most promising projects brought to Paramount by C/W include One Shot, a mystery about a homicide investigator; The War Magician, a true-life drama about a British magician who used illusions to mystify the Germans and protect British troops in North Africa; and The Few, a drama about American fighter pilots who fought for the British in World War II.

"We have not discussed what will happen with the projects," a C/W spokesperson told Daily Variety. "They all have separate contracts and agreements, and I'm sure they will be honored."

Chest Rockwell

Spielberg "Stunned" by Paramount's Cruise Decision

Hollywood filmmaker Steven Spielberg insists he had no prior knowledge of Paramount's decision to end their partnership with Tom Cruise, declaring he was stunned by the news. Spielberg's Dreamworks company is owned by Paramount Pictures and has directed Cruise in Minority Report and War of the Worlds. Spielberg also owns the talent firm Creative Artists Agency (CAA), which represents Cruise. When Sumner Redstone, the chairman of Viacom - Paramount's parent company - announced the studios would not be renewing Cruise's 14-year production deal due to his "recent conduct," internet gossips claimed Spielberg was aware of the decision. However, his spokesman Marvin Levy tells the New York Daily News, "Steven had no advance knowledge of Sumner Redstone's position. The story broke when Steven was on an airplane. He found out when the plane landed." Spielberg's producing partner Kathleen Kennedy has lashed out at reports the director was unhappy with Cruise's behaviour during the War Of The Worlds publicity campaign last year, when he indulged in public displays of affection with fiancee Katie Holmes on red carpets all over the world. Kennedy says, "It's not true. Tom was a consummate professional. He's done nothing wrong."

pete

wow, entourage is so much boringer in real life.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Mission accomplished: Cruise finds movie money

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Turns out finding money to make movies was an easy mission for Tom Cruise.

Only days after the "Mission: Impossible" movie star effectively was fired by Paramount Pictures, Cruise, his film partner Paula Wagner and an investment fund run by professional football team owner Daniel Snyder agreed on Monday to a financing package that puts Cruise back in business.

"This offers us the opportunity to work with all studios and continue doing what we were doing, but in more enhanced ways," Wagner told Reuters.

First and Goal LLC, an investment fund run by Washington Redskins owner Snyder and partners Dwight Shar and Mark Shapiro, will cover overhead and development costs for Cruise/Wagner Productions for two years with an option to renew afterward.

Financial details were undisclosed, and Wagner and others involved in the deal all declined to talk about financing.

"This is not a deal about money as much as it is about access and about our futures," Wagner said.

Wagner said Snyder and his partners gave her and Cruise an entry into arenas where previously it had none, as well as the freedom to continue making both low-budget and big-budget movies outside Hollywood's major studio system.

Shar is the chairman of U.S. homebuilder NVR Inc, and Shapiro is the chief executive officer of Six Flags Inc. He was recruited to turn around the ailing theme park company by Snyder, Six Flags' chairman.

Last week Sumner Redstone, chairman of Paramount's parent company Viacom Inc, said the studio would not renew Cruise/Wagner's production deal when it expired this month.

Redstone said Cruise's "recent conduct has not been acceptable." Wagner called Redstone's comments "undignified."

The war of words marked a bitter end to one of the most lucrative production alliances between a major Hollywood studio and an A-list star. Cruise's movies included many of the blockbusters of modern movie history, such as "War of the Worlds," three "Mission: Impossible" films and "Jerry Maguire."

Last week, Wagner said her company had lined up $100 million to continue production, but she did not name names, leading many Hollywood watchers to wonder if indeed she really did have a partner waiting in the wings.

Wagner said on Monday the deal with First and Goal covers only overhead and development, and not individual film financing. She said the groups began talks in mid-August, and that it was "almost premature" to announce specific plans.

"The next step becomes financing, and those are areas that we are exploring," she said.

Cruise/Wagner has co-produced numerous big-budget movies over the years starting with 1996's original "Mission: Impossible," but what is less well known is that it has also produced low-budget and independent features like 2002 drama "Narc" and 2003's critically acclaimed "Shattered Glass."

Cruise/Wagner will now try to find a partner to distribute its films.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5308004.stm

Cruise makes apology to Shields

Tom Cruise apologised to actress Brooke Shields for attacking her use of anti-depressant drugs, she has told a US television chat show.

"He came over to my house and gave me a heartfelt apology," the 41-year-old told Jay Leno's Tonight Show.

Cruise accused Shields of failing to understand psychiatry in 2005 after she disclosed taking medication to treat post-natal depression.

A spokesman for Cruise said his friendship with Shields was "mended".

"He has not changed his position about anti-depressants," said Arnold Robinson, adding the actor still considers the drugs to be "unhealthy".

Opposition

Shields, who recently appeared in the London and New York productions of Chicago, said: "I was so impressed with how heartfelt he was.

"I did not feel that he was trying to convince me of anything other than the fact that he was deeply sorry. And I accepted it."

In June 2005, Cruise spoke of his opposition to psychiatric medicine, calling it a "pseudo science".

He is a follower of Scientology which is against the use of drugs to treat mental health problems.

After his attack on Shields, the actress denounced the remarks as a "ridiculous rant" and a "disservice to mothers everywhere".

She suffered from post-natal depression after the birth of her first daughter in 2003 and wrote a book about her experiences called Down Came The Rain: My Journey Through Post-Partum Depression.

MacGuffin

Baby Suri surfaces, at last

Katie Holmes is very angry and uses some very strong language to make her point.

"You can't say that about my child," she tells Vanity Fair in response to whirling tabloid speculation on why photos of daughter Suri weren't released immediately after the baby's April 18 birth.

The frenzy ends today with a 22-page spread with photographs by Annie Leibovitz in VF's October issue, on stands in New York and Los Angeles today and nationwide on Tuesday. Features editor Jane Sarkin spent five days with Holmes and Tom Cruise at their Colorado home. Holmes' parents and members of Cruise's family also were there.

"We were just living our lives, being a family," Cruise says. "We were taking our own photos and always planned to release those."

But "then all the craziness began," Holmes says. "This 'Where is Suri?' controversy. Tom and I looked at each other and said, 'What's going on?' We weren't trying to hide anything."

Leibovitz was a natural choice to photograph Suri for her first official portraits, Cruise says. "Annie is the only professional photographer who ever shot Bella and Connor as children," he adds, referring to his 13-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son with ex-wife Nicole Kidman.

Holmes describes the moment she first held her daughter: "I was just ready. The feeling is indescribable."

The actress adds: "She's a glorious girl. She's the miracle of our life."

Cruise says Suri "has Kate's lips and eyes." Holmes disagrees. "I think she has Tom's eyes. I think she looks like Tom."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Pubrick

[quote author=p o z e r Suri link=topic=1950.msg34993#msg34993 date=1055207935]
Quaaaaaaid. Quaaaaaaaaaaaaaid.
[/quote]
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

When Katie Holmes was "pregnant," I swore up and down that she wore an empathy belly for effect and once there were no pictures after the birth, my stance became: they're looking for a baby that looks like them and with a full head of hair, as Tom ad-libbed that one, making it harder for them to find a kid, hence the wait.

Now that I see the kid looks exactly like a cross between the two of them, I have to admit that I was wrong... or that she's WETA's latest creation.

edison

pete

that's a fake.  that's one of them photoshop face generators that conan's been using for the last 7 seasons.

EDIT: she looked like if bjork had sex with herself.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Seriously!  I feel like that baby can see through to my soul.  It's ridiculous.

I can see why she's bigger news than the new baby heir to the Japanese throne.

Pozer